Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

WDH bar sizing question

So I recently swapped my F150 for a Ram 1500 and I am wanting to upgrade my WD setup to include sway control. I have done some research on the Reese Straight Line system and it looks like it will fit the bill. I am having trouble deciding on the bar weight though.

TT GVWR is 5900lbs. It is 26'. So, the tongue weight could max at 885lbs at 15%. With the Ram, it's pretty easy to bang down the door on payload so I want to get this right to make it as comfortable and safe as I can since it's not as heavy as the old F150.

So, my question is- with the hypothetical max weight, am I better with 800lbs bars or 1000lbs? There may be random items in the bed from time to time, but I understand that bars that are over rated are just as bad as under rated. The WD setup I have now is a blue ox round bar- 600lbs. It was installed with the TT purchase and I was fairly oblivious to the under rated bars since I had beefed up the F150 suspension so much.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The Reese Strait-Line doesn't come in a 1,000lb rating any more....., from an 800lb rating it jumps to a 1,200lb rating.

IMO you would be fine with an 800lb rated WDH, even if your TT loaded weight was at it's GVWR of 5,900lbs ......., I would just visit a CAT scale and confirm that your loaded tongue weight is at/under 800lbs (or adjust accordingly).

FYI: If in fact you did maintain a 885lb loaded tongue weight, a 1,200lb rated WDH would worked if it was adjusted properly...., being 300lbs over-rated may influence a little stiffer connection, but IMO isn't overkill with a 885lb loaded tongue weight (but a 1,000lb rated WDH would be 'ideal').

If you would feel more comfortable with a 1,000lb rated WDH do to heavy loading habits, the Equal-i-zer brand WDH comes in a 1,000lb product. The Equal-i-zer product also incorporates integrated sway control as well.

Also, check that there isn't any WDH rating restrictions noted on the TT's A-frame.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
The Reese Strait-Line doesn't come in a 1,000lb rating any more....., from an 800lb rating it jumps to a 1,200lb rating.

IMO you would be fine with an 800lb rated WDH, even if your TT loaded weight was at it's GVWR of 5,900lbs ......., I would just visit a CAT scale and confirm that your loaded tongue weight is at/under 800lbs (or adjust accordingly).

FYI: If in fact you did maintain a 885lb loaded tongue weight, a 1,200lb rated WDH would worked if it was adjusted properly...., being 300lbs over-rated may influence a little stiffer connection, but IMO isn't overkill with a 885lb loaded tongue weight (but a 1,000lb rated WDH would be 'ideal').

If you would feel more comfortable with a 1,000lb rated WDH do to heavy loading habits, the Equal-i-zer brand WDH comes in a 1,000lb product. The Equal-i-zer product also incorporates integrated sway control as well.

Also, check that there isn't any WDH rating restrictions noted on the TT's A-frame.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob. I think I will run the 800 then and if I find I need more, I will jump to the 1200 and adjust accordingly.

Unfortunately, we only have one CAT scale around here that the public can use, and it is open sporadically, and the times it is open, it is lined up with tractor/ trailer units and un-accessible. I think I will order a tongue scale for a little peace of mind. We weighed the tongue last year when loaded for camping, and it came in at 690lbs... but I think that is a bit light since it was our first season with the trailer and we haven't managed to accumulate our "stuff" that will typically reside in our forward compartment. Maybe I am wrong though, so I will go with 800, and jump to 1200 if need be.

smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
snip....... I think I will order a tongue scale for a little peace of mind.......snip
I have one and use it to check my TT tongue weight when I suspect my cargo loading my have changed ........, especially when I'm loading for an extended trip. When the conversation comes up at CG's I've had folks wanting to check their TT tongue weight prior to departing the CG (keep Sherline in my TT).

I have the Sherline LM2000. http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

I recall in another thread that you felt you didn't have enough TV payload capacity to support your TT tongue weight, at least with the Sherline you can confirm/monitor your loaded TT tongue weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Thats exactly what I am looking at. You're right- payload is a concern for me so I want to make sure I am as close to my numbers as possible. Sure wish a 3/4 ton would work for me, but it just won't. As long as I monitor and stay within about 12% I will be ok per my scaled weight that I have already. I may bounce over a little if we travel heavy, so I want to ensure I have the best setup possible for what I have and I can adjust weight accordingly. For some reason my curb weight was listed at 200lbs more than it actually is- I weighed it with me in it and a tank of fuel and it came in 200lbs (and a bit) less than door sticker.