Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

WDH different number of links on spring bars

Does anyone hitch up and go with different number of links pulled up on the spring bars? I can get 3 links on one side but only 2 on the other side. I sent an email the company and they said that it was ok to travel that way as long as the WDH did its job and the squat of the rear bumper was in the 1.5" parameter.

2008 Ford F250 Lariet 4WD 6.4 Diesel
2015 Jay Flight 34 RSBS
2014 Keystone Hideout -traded
krgbcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krgbcg View Post
Does anyone hitch up and go with different number of links pulled up on the spring bars? I can get 3 links on one side but only 2 on the other side. I sent an email the company and they said that it was ok to travel that way as long as the WDH did its job and the squat of the rear bumper was in the 1.5" parameter.
What type of hitch do you use? I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro and it works with chains coming off spring bars. I personally always hitch mine to the same number of links. I've found a couple of tricks to help me get them equal. The setting I like (9 from spring bars, 6 left-over links) is what it takes to keep the front end from changing height at all (and it provides a hugely improved ride over even just one link less).

First, the simplest solution for me is to make sure the truck is in line with the trailer, hitch up and then (I know some may grimace) raise the tongue so that it's lifting the truck just a little bit (not so much you burn out your jack motor or anything). This creates a very slightly steeper angle and thus you get a tiny bit more chain to work with. If this doesn't work for you then I'd link up the loose side and then you can turn the truck so that it closes the angle on the other side and you'll have all sorts of chain to work with (all the pressure is on the side you already hooked. I figured out this technique by accident once when I was not straight and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get more links on one side but had tons of extra on the other.

Edit: One other thought, make sure your bolted-on receivers are lined up at the same place on the frame. If one has moved or was not installed correctly, this could be the root cause as well. Also, when I said to move the truck after hooking up one side, obviously, you'd need all gear up, etc, etc because the trailer is going with you at that point.
mocad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #3

The measurement of your front fender wells is more important the rear squat. The idea of a WDH is to return weight to the front wheels to restore full steering control. There should be a spec for this in your owners manual. I believe Ford calls for restoring at least half the distance between stock height and with the trailer dropped on as "dead weight".

As Mocad said, I'd be checking the placement of the stirrups. I've never seen where the number of links is different on each side.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

With any properly installed/adjusted WDH the number of links "Under Tension" should always be the same on each side.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #5

Remember you should connect the chains while not under load.

To do this, lower the hitch onto the trailer ball, lock the latch, then lift the trailer tongue with the tongue jack, at least 2-3 inches or so, the connect the chains, it should be easy with only slight resistance when locking the cam on the chain. The resistance should be similar on both sides. After both sides are connected then lower the tongue again and this will "load" your chains and bars.

Hope this helps.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:10 AM   #6

Sometimes I'll lift up with the tongue jack, then put a jack stand under the spring bar and lower the jack. Snap up bracket work easy then. Not sure if some would deem this unsafe or anything. But I do it.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:31 AM   #7

The amount of tension on each side will be different if the trailer is not level side to side while doing it, or if the vehicle is not in line with the trailer. Are you always hitching up in the same spot? If so, try it at a different spot like a big parking lot or somewhere that's flat and you can get your truck in line with the trailer.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
The amount of tension on each side will be different if the trailer is not level side to side while doing it, or if the vehicle is not in line with the trailer. Are you always hitching up in the same spot? If so, try it at a different spot like a big parking lot or somewhere that's flat and you can get your truck in line with the trailer.
What he said...
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote