Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #1

We Don't "Camp"

Anyone else who doesn't "camp"?

We (wife, me, and two cats) have a 26BH we've used to travel from Michigan to Pennsylvania, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and many points in between. We tend to go to medium to larger cities and stay on the outskirts as we visit museums, historical sites, and civil war battlefields. And, the occasional concert.

We have a charcoal grill for some of our cooking, but we've never built a campfire, and we seldom sit outside our trailer. We severely modified our 26BH so it has a large living room on the one end, with comfortable seating.

When we're outside, it's to go for a walk around the campground, or to go for a walk in downtown Nashville, Mobile, Chattanooga, etc.. We pretty much never make friends with our campground neighbors, even though we've started spending the entire month of February in the suburbs of Mobile.

We like full hookups, although we increased our battery capacity to allow for limited boon docking. We love Walmarts for a stopover as we travel to a destination. We're happy with any campground that has full hookups, a laundry, few amenities, and is QUIET.

We're "second tier" travelers. As much as we might enjoy the Florida Keys, we made the decision early on to stick with states that aren't so touristy. Or pricey.

Our trailer is our portable, comfy cabin that happens to show up in new places that interest us.

Anyone else use the trailer like we do?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #2

I call it "glamping"...
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #3

That is what we did when we drove from Or to visit family in Ok and Il. We did spend a week in a driveway camp. Most of the time we like to boondock, but if what you do is called "glamping." We do that also. If it is what you like, is legal and hurts on one, just do it and enjoy!
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

Anyone else use the trailer like we do?
No...

But we use our motor home exactly the same way.

Out of all the choices from TT up to Class A, we decided on the short Class C, so we could easily drive in and out of all tourist attractions and parking lots (and NOT have to pull a toad). We choose to play tourist in every area we visit, and rarely stay in one campground more than one night.

I'll plan the trip to see/cover a circular route, and see/visit a bunch of places during the day. In the afternoon, we pull into a full hookup CG, get set up, grab a cocktail, take a walk with poochie, maybe fish, or take in activities at the CG. After cooking dinner, we'll take another walk or so, and by that time, it's usually dark, and thing start to wind down.

Next morning, it's unhook, and on to new adventures for the day and a new campground that night.

For us, the Rig is a base of operations and our rolling Bed and Breakfast. We usually eat better when "camping" then when at home.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKABC View Post
I call it "glamping"...
I thinking "glamping" is more of a luxury rig in a luxury park. The kind of park that wouldn't want us.

The park we like in Mobile is all gravel, no pool, and the laundry is in a 14x70 mobile home. But clean and quiet. And CHEAP!!!
Old 01-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
No...

But we use our motor home exactly the same way.

Out of all the choices from TT up to Class A, we decided on the short Class C, so we could easily drive in and out of all tourist attractions and parking lots (and NOT have to pull a toad). We choose to play tourist in every area we visit, and rarely stay in one campground more than one night.

I'll plan the trip to see/cover a circular route, and see/visit a bunch of places during the day. In the afternoon, we pull into a full hookup CG, get set up, grab a cocktail, take a walk with poochie, maybe fish, or take in activities at the CG. After cooking dinner, we'll take another walk or so, and by that time, it's usually dark, and thing start to wind down.

Next morning, it's unhook, and on to new adventures for the day and a new campground that night.

For us, the Rig is a base of operations and our rolling Bed and Breakfast. We usually eat better when "camping" then when at home.

That sounds a lot like us. I like the bed and breakfast comparison.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #7

Sounds like we travel the same way and thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #8

I guess you could say we glamp camp. Eventhough I got 25 years in with my employer, I'm still not eligible to get a summer vacation and scheduled 4 days during the week and forced saturday for straight time. I get sunday off and a day during the week that changes more often than you change your underwear. So our glamp camping is limited to being "local". We hit our local state and county parks quite a bit. Pulling in with our dually and Northpoint 375 turns a lot of heads. It's kinda comical because we get looks like we are a bunch of rich snobs, but we sit outside a lot, campfires nearly every nite, bikes rides quite often thru the park, etc. I try to talk to people but most dont seem interested. It seems like more people would talk when we had older and smaller 5th wheel than what we got now. We've still made friends regardless what we have or had or where we were.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #9

My RV is my summer cottage.. It hasn't moved since delivered April of 2016.. I keep my boat onsite also.. Hard to call it camping since we have all the amenities of home including residential fridge, water/sewer, electric and cable all connected from mid May to mid October. definite glamping.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #10

You may not be campers but you are RVers. Welcome to the club
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Site Team

At times, I think we all fit in this mold. For example, when we go to Ft. Wilderness, the trailer is nothing but a hotel room. Same thing when we go and visit my in laws. We use it simply as a place to sleep.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #12

We had neighbors sell their place next to us when I started our second conversation with, "We're not here to make friends, just relax and keep to ourselves". They would keep coming over and wanting to chat. We both have very stressful jobs and go to our property where our fifth wheel sits for the most part and just relax... Alone together

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #13

In my younger years I backpacked. Later on I tent camped off my motorcycle. Both of those, I’d call camping. Now, I RV. Be that an RV resort, State Park, National Park, or COE. We do like to meet the neighbors. Met some great people along the way. It’s interesting to hear others backgrounds, where they’re from, where they’re headed etc. Anti-social campers(RVers) don’t worry. I won’t bug you if we cross paths.

We refer to our trips at camping trips, but really it’s an RV trip. The beauty of this whole RV thing, no matter what your equipment choice, is the flexibility to use it in different ways. From boondocking in a National Forest, to a trailer park in the burbs. Take your pick and enjoy.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post

We refer to our trips at camping trips, but really it’s an RV trip.
Ha... we do the same thing. When we are going out on a trip, we tell people we are "going camping". Their response is usually, "you're going camping in a tent?" My response: "Not even close....".
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #15

We camp. Fire, s’mores, hot dogs, Dutch oven, camp chairs, sing a longs and ghost stories. The only thing that has changed is what we sleep in. From tents to 25 years in a Jayco tent trailer to our Eagle HT 5er last year, the way we camp and what we do while camping has not changed a bit. We are campers 1st and RVers second. We base camp in both KOA's or modern campgrounds and Boondock. We base camp for week at a time and go see and do in the area then come back to the trailer build a fire, cook hot dogs over the fire and dutch oven a pineapple upside down cake and share it with the neighbors. Ya we camp.

Archie
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:42 PM   #16

Our TT, is called the "Whitehouse" when we use it, it is our cabin on wheels, so we call it glamping. I use to do a lot of mountaineering, so this is luxury.

Right now, we tend to stay closer to home, maybe one extended trip each year. We sit by the fire, hike alot, see the scenery.

Once the kid is off to college, and we change trailers.
I think our style of camping will change as we are looking at a living quarter car trailer, I expect more sightseeing day trips with a Model T. At that point I think it will be more about the days adventure, more than the camping. I still fully expect I'll be sitting around the fire most nights. Fyi I never really make campground friends, just like to be neighborly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwinger View Post
We camp. Fire, s’mores, hot dogs, Dutch oven, camp chairs, sing a longs and ghost stories. The only thing that has changed is what we sleep in. From tents to 25 years in a Jayco tent trailer to our Eagle HT 5er last year, the way we camp and what we do while camping has not changed a bit. We are campers 1st and RVers second. We base camp in both KOA's or modern campgrounds and Boondock. We base camp for week at a time and go see and do in the area then come back to the trailer build a fire, cook hot dogs over the fire and dutch oven a pineapple upside down cake and share it with the neighbors. Ya we camp.

Archie
Sounds a lot like what we do too!
Started out camping in tents. Use the boat to get to a beach on the Chesapeake Bay, sleep in tents or on the boat BUT have campfires into the wee hours, cooking on the camp fires. After getting rid of the boat, used a pop-up. Then got a Prowler that was totaled from a blown tire. Got the Jayco 26BH, Then the 28BHBE. Still spend most of the evening cooking and sitting around the camp fire sharing stories or listening to our daughters playing their guitars.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #18

I think Siamese's intent on this thread was to to ask who uses their RV like they do. I just realized that I kinda hijacked this thread so to Siamese I apologize.

My response would have been better served in a "How do you use your RV" thread if there is one.

My apologies

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #19

alot of times me and the wife, will tow to the coast just for the day, the trailer is small and light enough, we use it just for a place to sit down , relax, make a pot of coffee, inbetween exploring wherever we are parked.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #20

We have for some trips. it just makes it easier when our primary intent is to play tourist. We did a big trip out west many years ago. Ate most meals out, never lit a fire, used the trailer mostly as a hotel room. Did the same thing when we went to Gatlinburg a few years ago.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote