Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
snip..... I think we're running the same hitch (different bars), I'm Equalizer 1200/12000. 4 point sway control. SKU: 90-00-1200 .......snip
I believe 'Texdan25' has the "Fastaway e2" brand WDH, not the "Equal-i-zer" brand 4-point sway control WDH.

Fastway brand WDH: https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

Equal-i-zer brand WDH: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

The word "equalizer" is often used referring to a WDH in general...., and "Equal-i-zer" being a specific brand of WDH......, thus the confusion at times.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I believe 'Texdan25' has the "Fastaway e2" brand WDH, not the "Equal-i-zer" brand 4-point sway control WDH.

The word "equalizer" is often used referring to a WDH in general...., and "Equal-i-zer" being a specific brand of WDH......, thus the confusion at times.

Bob
Bob, you are absolutely right! I just looked at the bars and saw they are Fastaway. Here all along I thought I had and Equal-i-zer!
Texdan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #23

I have used 3 different brands of WHD/Sway Control hitches. They being Equal-I-Zer, Andersen, and Blue Ox SwayPro.

The Andersen's best feature is how light weight it is. It's easy to put in, and remove from the receiver. My biggest problem with it was when I was off angle a little too much, and it became almost impossible to attach.

I much prefer the Equal-I-Zer brand hitch. It works great, and is simple to attach. And it's relatively easy to put the bars on. The two biggest draw backs to the Equal-I-Zer are 1) weight of the hitch and 2) if you need larger bars, you must get a new hitch head.

My current one is the Blue Ox SwayPro. I really, really dislike it. When unhitching, if enough tension isn't taken off the bars, when it snaps loose, it can either damage your hand/arm/face. The first time I took off the bars, the junk "wrench" they supply nearly popped out of my hands. That thing is too short, and too wide. I now use a breaker bar and socket. Even now, sometimes if enough tension isn't relieved, when it pops loose, it will jolt my shoulder and neck and I feel a sharp pain to the neck.

And, the hitch head isn't much lighter than the Equil-I-Zer. However, if you need larger bars, you do not have to change the hitch head.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post

Bob

Fastway E2 hitch comes in either round bar or Trunnion (similar Equal-i-zer) arms, but both look like only 2 points for antisway

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch
I believe they also now make a 4 point almost exactly like the Equal-i-zer

Equal-i-zer did make an E2 and E4 version. The last I can find reference to the E2 was back in 2013 the salesman mentions they only carry Equal-i-zer hitches.:

Looking into this, I've found you really have to read. There are many references to Equalizer/Equal-i-zer E2, but the Equal-i-zer website only has their 4 point, the "E2" is a trademark for Fastway hitches.
Fastway is made by the same company as Equalizer, supposedly just a lower end hitch. https://www.progressmfg.com/

Thanks Rustic Eagle
Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
snip....... Fastway is made by the same company as Equalizer, supposedly just a lower end hitch https://www.progressmfg.com/........snip
You're correct....., over the past 10 years it's been difficult keeping track of who-owns-who within the RV manufacture and suppler industry

Bob

ps: I noticed in my prior post I stated "Fastaway"..., should read "Fastway".

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #26

Plus, the Fastway and Equal-i-zer hitches can share parts!

I bent my Fastway hanger brackets, and replaced them with Equal-i-zer. MUCH better design. Fastway E2 I had was 2-point sway control.

FWIW, I was a huge fan of my Blue Ox Sway Pro. After I used the included "wrench" once and the handle slipped off, I tossed it in the bottom of my box and grabbed a Harbor Freight breaker bar and an appropriately sized socket and never looked back. It was cheap enough to buy as a "dedicated" piece of kit. I discovered very quickly that the rotating brackets can be under enormous tension and you'd better be paying attention when they "break over" or you could get hurt. But several hitches have similar risks, and this one was easily overcome with a cheap piece of equipment.

ETA: I also discovered that it worked better if I gave the chain one twist before threading it into the bracket. If I did it straight, one of the links would always get stuck. Gave it a twist and smooth sailing after that.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #27

Is there any difference in perceived sway control? I cannot understand just how the Blue Ox reduces sway and have found no definitive reference. Thanks.
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #28

I believe friction. I know it works awesome. I pulled my TT through Kansas in 18mph cross winds and had no problems last year. When the wind would gust the truck and trailer would move over together just like it would do to you without towing a trailer. It was very comfortable driving.

I have not had any problems described above about the rotating brackets. I just jack the the trailer way up while being hooked up to my truck. Count my links, install chain in braket. Rotate bracket drop jack and off I go. I do the reverse process when unhooking. If I don't jack trailer up there would be a alot of tension on the rotating bracket. I have one other element that most dont have and that is I have to disable my suspension in truck.

One VERY important thing if your going to go with Blue OX is that you get the correct hitch for your TT. They make two versions. One for over slung trailers and one for under slung.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayettemo View Post
Is there any difference in perceived sway control? I cannot understand just how the Blue Ox reduces sway and have found no definitive reference. Thanks.

Try this:
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #30

I bought the Equalizer hitch... sure glad I did. No chains..... no sway.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I bought the Equalizer hitch... sure glad I did. No chains..... no sway.
X2
Chains on a weight distribution hitch art not nearly as rigid as the way the 4 point bars are on an equalizer

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
X2
Chains on a weight distribution hitch art not nearly as rigid as the way the 4 point bars are on an equalizer
I have the Blue Ox setup, and it doesn't work by rigidness. It works by spring tension pushing the trailer back straight.

When the trailer starts to move out of line with the truck, it bends the spring bars which forces the trailer back in line.

Anyway, it works fine for me...I never notice any sway even with 18-wheelers passing me and side winds gusting 20+mph.

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
The Andersen's best feature is how light weight it is. It's easy to put in, and remove from the receiver. My biggest problem with it was when I was off angle a little too much, and it became almost impossible to attach.
FWIW, I have a 3500# TT towed by a light truck with 4000# towing capacity. While this was interesting research, I am buying the Anderson for the light weight.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #34

I just invested in a Hensley hitch. By all reports this and one other are the best hitches money can buy.
Pricey at $3,000 but no sway, period. Look it up.
Dpeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by venoran View Post
I have the Blue Ox setup, and it doesn't work by rigidness. It works by spring tension pushing the trailer back straight.

When the trailer starts to move out of line with the truck, it bends the spring bars which forces the trailer back in line.

Anyway, it works fine for me...I never notice any sway even with 18-wheelers passing me and side winds gusting 20+mph.
Same here, I'm happy with mine, too. W/D and sway control are one of those things that you have to do the research and decide for yourself, there are a lot of different types and in my case, the main reason for not going with the Equalizer over the Blue Ox was not having to disconnect when backing up and the screeching noise that I have heard them make at the campground. Again, I have nothing against them, that's just the choice I made.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #36

hitch

We have an Equalizer now and I am ok with it. My brother has one and tows all over so that was good for me.
But two years ago now we were on our way west on vacation and at mile sticker 127 on the OH turnpike our trip ended with a totaled rig.
We walked away but wife was driving and now is not hardly able to even ride.
Thus the Hensley. takes sway out of the equation.
Haven't used it yet as it will be here next week.
Have until July 10th to decide if we like it or all money back.
I will keep all posted about it.
Did extensive research and had trouble deciding between ProPride and Hensley but choose the HA.
Rave reviews all round.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeam View Post
We have an Equalizer now and I am ok with it. My brother has one and tows all over so that was good for me.
But two years ago now we were on our way west on vacation and at mile sticker 127 on the OH turnpike our trip ended with a totaled rig.
We walked away but wife was driving and now is not hardly able to even ride.
Thus the Hensley. takes sway out of the equation.
Haven't used it yet as it will be here next week.
Have until July 10th to decide if we like it or all money back.
I will keep all posted about it.
Did extensive research and had trouble deciding between ProPride and Hensley but choose the HA.
Rave reviews all round.
First, and most importantly, it's good no one was hurt in the crash!

But other items in your post leave me confused and a little more info about the crash could be helpful:
Was the crash due to sway?
You are OK with an Equalizer (brand?) hitch so what hitch were you using when the crash occurred?
Was the wind or other factors part of the reason for the crash?

Certainly, given your circumstances, deciding on the Hensley (or the ProPride) was absolutely the right way to go, IMO. Those hitches are the 'gold standard' for TT hitches.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #38

Yes, it was sway that did it. We had not towed for several years and had forgotten some basics.
Wife was driving and doing fine, sipped was just over 60 and she started to pass a tanker truck.
We were sandwiched in with a 15’ concrete wall two lanes over and the truck.
The sway danced us around and we spun out. The basic we forgot was the manual trailer break. That might haves saved us.
Head on into the wall.
Walked away and so we now have a Tahoe, the Yukon took all the damage.
Airbag deploy is something I never want to see again.
We were using a WD. Hitch that was too light with no sway control. Do not remember what brand. My mistake.
The TT is now a hunting lodge for one of the rescue people.
My brother swears by the Equalizer and to be fair I used it to tow our Jay Flight in a snowstorm to have it weighed. Performed well.

But we want zero sway before it starts, not after.
At 3,000 I expect what they claim. Everyone that has one says it exceeds the claims.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #39

I’m with you If it’s important enough it’s worth it.After you spend ,conservatively, 30k plus in a truck and 30k plus in a travel trailer 3k for a proven safety advantage seems reasonable,imo. Most every negative comment is from someone who has no experience with the Hensley. It’s never about performance it’s about hitching and unhitching. There IS most definitely a learning process about hooking up and unhooking but it’s not rocket science and most newer trucks have a BU camera with makes it easy peasey. I’m sure one can get that same level of control spending less. That said there is also something to be said about a proven track record with the Hensley. I’m satisfied with mine and with what it cost. Fwiwymmv.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #40

Thanks for the added info.

Manually applying trailer brake might have helped, but I've often wondered if faced with the situation like your wife was, would I, or could I, remove one hand from the steering wheel. From the videos I've seen, sway goes from a wiggle or two to a crash VERY quickly.

Now you, and your wife, should never wonder about buying a better TT hitch! You have the cream of the crop!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote