Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Weight Distribution Hitch - 212QBW

So my dealer, RV-Max in Sherman Texas, offered to install a Recurve R3 hitch on my new 212QBW. He wants around 620.00 installed. i think installation is by the Tech and does the balancing etc so she's ready to go.

First, is this a fair price? I saw the R3 online for about 300.00.

Second, the R3 doesnt seem to get reviewed very well. The R6 does get reviewed better but i'm not sure if its good enough. I dont mind spending extra money for piece of mind.

He says the R6 is not recommended for the 212QBW because:

There is not enough tongue wait to allow it to ride properly. The r6 has a much higher raiting but it does not at all work well for the light weight units.

Does any of that make sense? i think i'd rather just get a heavier Equalizier like 1000/10000.

Anyone agree or disagree? Sorry i'm a bit of a noob.
shane.kelly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

I'm in the same situation, but haven't signed the papers on a TT yet. I'm not going to pay the dealership rates for a WDH that I can order on Amazon for much less.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

I just had my dealer install the Equili-z-er 12K on my TV for the same price I could get from Amazon and they installed it for free. Ask them for the one you want. All they can do is say no.
owtdorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.kelly55 View Post
i think i'd rather just get a heavier Equalizier like 1000/10000.
We have also have a 212QBW and use an Equalizer 1000/10000. Love it.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #5

Most hitch manufacturers will tell you to get the WDH that is closest to your actual TW. Too little WDH won't help, too much can cause erratic behavior of the trailer going down the road. Per the Jayco specs the Dry hitch weight of the trailer you purchased is 460#. I think the general consensus on the brochure specs is "close but no cigar" (sometimes not even close). Add a battery and full LP tanks plus whatever cargo you have behind the wheels of your TV and I could see where a 600# hitch might not be enough for you. Since you won't know the actual tongue weight of your trailer until after you get it and load it, I'd error on the side of purchasing the higher rated WDH. JMO
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.kelly55 View Post
So my dealer, RV-Max in Sherman Texas, offered to install a Recurve R3 hitch on my new 212QBW. He wants around 620.00 installed. i think installation is by the Tech and does the balancing etc so she's ready to go.

First, is this a fair price? I saw the R3 online for about 300.00.

Second, the R3 doesnt seem to get reviewed very well. The R6 does get reviewed better but i'm not sure if its good enough. I dont mind spending extra money for piece of mind.

He says the R6 is not recommended for the 212QBW because:

There is not enough tongue wait to allow it to ride properly. The r6 has a much higher raiting but it does not at all work well for the light weight units.

Does any of that make sense? i think i'd rather just get a heavier Equalizier like 1000/10000.

Anyone agree or disagree? Sorry i'm a bit of a noob.
We bought our RV from same dealership, BUT go check out prices at Earl Owens for hitch. I bought hitch from Owens and had them install it for cheaper than what RV-Max wanted just for the hitch. It'd be worth it just to drive 4 miles north and see what price they have.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

One important point I haven't seen mentioned in the forum before, particularly with Equal-i-zer, is you must add the weight of any cargo in your tow vehicle that is behind your rear axle:
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 10-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

If it matters to you, the Recurve is made in china. While the Equalizer is made in the USA. I have an Equalizer for my 314BHDS, and it performs without any flaws. I paid about $500 from a local dealer here in CT where I bought the TT.
Good luck.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:30 AM   #9

I would recommend the Equalizer as well. . Additionally any install the dealer does will have to be adjusted once you load the TV and trailer with all the stuff you are going to carry with you. Don't let them tell you they will adjust it slightly high to compensate. It takes trial and error and ultimately some CAT scale numbers to dial it in.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

I use this WDH and I would put my life on it. Everyone will tell you equalizer because it is like coke for the Sosa market everyone knows coke because it's been around forever.

The R6 is to much for your trailer and you should never have to much WDH it's not good so there they are right.

http://www.camco.net/wp-content/uplo...6/05/48750.png
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0328.PNG  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote