Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrwn View Post
We are cheerleaders for the Anderson WDH system.
While it can be a pain reconnecting on occasion, after repeated use it gets way easier.
Do you wear the skimpy little cheerleading outfits too?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #42

I was in your shoes last spring and did a lot of research. Lots of great hitches out there and most with a good fan base. I applaud you for realizing you should use one. The safety and peace of mind is well worth the price.
I have a JayFlight SLX 175RD.....under 4000 pounds loaded. Picked up a used(2 year old) e2 Fastway rated at 600/6000 on Craigslist. Both the weight distribution and anti-sway characteristics are excellent. I occasionally pull it 12 miles from the storage lot without the hitch. Can really tell the difference.
In my humble opinion, the trunion bars are better than chains. Easier to use and provide a definitive anti-sway component.
Good Luck!
By the way, my Jay Flight has a 2 inch ball. I would second the idea of having an installer with good pneumatic wrenches clinch down the ball, height adjustment bolts, and sway bar brackets.
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor View Post
I was in your shoes last spring and did a lot of research. Lots of great hitches out there and most with a good fan base. I applaud you for realizing you should use one. The safety and peace of mind is well worth the price.
I have a JayFlight SLX 175RD.....under 4000 pounds loaded. Picked up a used(2 year old) e2 Fastway rated at 600/6000 on Craigslist. Both the weight distribution and anti-sway characteristics are excellent. I occasionally pull it 12 miles from the storage lot without the hitch. Can really tell the difference.
In my humble opinion, the trunion bars are better than chains. Easier to use and provide a definitive anti-sway component.
Good Luck!
By the way, my Jay Flight has a 2 inch ball. I would second the idea of having an installer with good pneumatic wrenches clinch down the ball, height adjustment bolts, and sway bar brackets.
I went with the most expensive one lol The equalizer 4 point sway control.. I bought it from camping world and had the install as well. Man what a difference.. The only thing I don't like is all that popping it makes. You would think that the most expensive one wouldn't make all that fuss. Yeah right
Jamyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #44

Right, so do some research, lots of different kinds out there. I'm pulling a 27' Jayco White Hawk with a F150, 3.5 EcoBoost. For added stability I had the
Firestone RideRite air bags added. The truck pulls very well, the air bags help with leveling the rig and sway is peaceful practically non-existent.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Right, so do some research, lots of different kinds out there. I'm pulling a 27' Jayco White Hawk with a F150, 3.5 EcoBoost. For added stability I had the
Firestone RideRite air bags added. The truck pulls very well, the air bags help with leveling the rig and sway is peaceful practically non-existent.
What does ur TT weigh? Mine is 7500 # . My truck pulls it well I guess I'm not use to seeing the rpms go that high while going up hills.. I'm a 42 year old grandpa driver as my daughter says lol
Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamyb01 View Post
What does ur TT weigh? Mine is 7500 # . My truck pulls it well I guess I'm not use to seeing the rpms go that high while going up hills.. I'm a 42 year old grandpa driver as my daughter says lol
Glad to hear it is all going well. It is a nice set up.

And, me too. Not ashamed to be a grandpa driver!! I'm even 42 as well.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
What 'added stability' did you find with the air bags? What wasn't stable before you installed them? Usually air bags only level the tow vehicle when towing.

Sway is scary stuff. If you've watched videos of crashes due to sway, they begin with a subtle wiggle that gets worse with each iteration (positive feedback) and those videos end with a crash. It's likely those drivers didn't know how bad things could get until it was out of their control. Please be careful.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... The only thing I don't like is all that popping it makes. You would think that the most expensive one wouldn't make all that fuss. Yeah right
Refer to your Equal-i-zer WDH installation instructions, there are a couple lube points (Ball Mount) that may quiet it down. Don't lubricate the friction pads on the "L" brackets...., Equal-i-zer sells a "Sway Bracket Jacket" for this friction pad area.

Confirm that the "L" support brackets aren't moving as well.

Also, most WDH's will 'talk back' during tight TV turns so avoid when possible.

Equal-i-zer Installation Document: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/docum...al_2016-06.pdf

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Refer to your Equal-i-zer WDH installation instructions, there are a couple lube points (Ball Mount) that may quiet it down. Don't lubricate the friction pads on the "L" brackets...., Equal-i-zer sells a "Sway Bracket Jacket" for this friction pad area.

Confirm that the "L" support brackets aren't moving as well.

Also, most WDH's will 'talk back' during tight TV turns so avoid when possible.

Equal-i-zer Installation Document: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/docum...al_2016-06.pdf

Bob
Thanks for the info
Old 08-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #50

Check these out. 1/2 the weight of other types of antti sway WDH's . & they look so much easier. Anyone want to buy my Resse duel cam WD hitchhttps://www.reeseprod.com/products/weight-distribution/strait-line/weight-distributing-kit-sway-control/xihofqeC8HIVQN7yFHYCaDTayZjPjumE so I can get one of these?https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...ion-hitch.aspx
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Check these out. 1/2 the weight of other types of antti sway WDH's . & they look so much easier. Anyone want to buy my Resse duel cam WD hitchhttps://www.reeseprod.com/products/weight-distribution/strait-line/weight-distributing-kit-sway-control/xihofqeC8HIVQN7yFHYCaDTayZjPjumE so I can get one of these?https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...ion-hitch.aspx
I seen those but I'm not sold on the all chains. Chains have flex so I can't see how they will be better than the bars. I could be wrong though
Old 08-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #52

Quote:
I seen those but I'm not sold on the all chains. Chains have flex so I can't see how they will be better than the bars. I could be wrong though
We went with Andersen and they are great. No sway, even in strong crosswinds, easy to hook up and very light. Bonus is no messy greasing of the ball. Love ours.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
We went with Andersen and they are great. No sway, even in strong crosswinds, easy to hook up and very light. Bonus is no messy greasing of the ball. Love ours.
But how does it do with leveling the truck?
Old 08-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
But how does it do with leveling the truck?
If you mean how does it do returning weight to the front axle, mine works perfect with my 800# tongue weight. After 3 seasons now under my belt with the Andersen, I don't see myself going back to a traditional style setup. It works that well.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
If you mean how does it do returning weight to the front axle, mine works perfect with my 800# tongue weight. After 3 seasons now under my belt with the Andersen, I don't see myself going back to a traditional style setup. It works that well.
X2. Our tongue weight is a little less but it works great. And Andersen customer service is top notch to boot.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #56

My Jayco dry weighs at 6330. It can cause concerns with the higher revs, I know some folks that use cruise control when they're towing, I never do east of the Mississippi except in Florida. I prefer to right foot the tranny to lower the revs.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post

That is what it nice about the Blue Ox Swaypro. No grease.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #58
Site Team

snip..." The only thing I don't like is all that popping it makes. You would think that the most expensive one wouldn't make all that fuss. Yeah right[/QUOTE]
Good choice on the hitch.
Ours had the popping noise on the way home from the dealer when we bought it. We had one bar socket bolt torqued to over 100 ft/lbs. Those socket bolts are to be at 75 ft/lbs. So after the re-torque, and lubing the friction surfaces on the hitch head, the noise did settle down. It will also get better as you use it, when surfaces wear in a bit.
We did buy the sway bracket jackets to eliminate the possibility of noise at the L brackets.
A tube of the Equalizer grease lasted us six years, and that's greasing the points and hitch ball every time the TT is hitched up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #59

I strongly recommend joining Good Sam Roadside Service. We have used it about 3 times in 10 years.
swaggerstick is offline   Reply With Quote