Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #1

weight limit up top...

I know the Jay Flight MagnaTruss roof(s) can hold 8million pounds or so but I was wondering about the factory installed ladder getting up there and the weight capacity of the slide. I'd like to get up there to check seals, clean slide, etc. but I'm a grown man and not sure that ladder is ready for that...

Anyone have any idea what the weight limit is on the ladder or the slide? Thanks in advance.

Shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #2

More than 1 person sits around that table in the u-Dinette. So, I would suspect one person on the roof of the slide will be ok.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Site Team

I would not put any weight on the slide out roof. That is the weakest part of your camper.

Most ladders I have seen have a disclaimer on the ladder or in the paperwork that says the weight limit is 250 or 300 lbs. They are not the strongest especially when you are on it and see the brackets flexing.

I use a 8" step ladder to get me most of the way up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

Post 213 on this thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...-30052-22.html

They say the ladder is rated at 250-300 or so, but mine wasn't taking me at 225 so well. Had to add the fat boy bracing. I also use a ladder most of the way, and also carry a 7' fold up ladder in one of the 5" fence posts under the rig.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

I am an easy 265-270# and used the ladder a few times, not a confidence inspiring experience. When we are on the road, I let my wife take care of sweeping the slide roof and when at home I use my own ladder.

In not-so-many-words, I don't suggest you use the built-in ladder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
I know the Jay Flight MagnaTruss roof(s) can hold 8million pounds or so but I was wondering about the factory installed ladder getting up there and the weight capacity of the slide. I'd like to get up there to check seals, clean slide, etc. but I'm a grown man and not sure that ladder is ready for that...

Anyone have any idea what the weight limit is on the ladder or the slide? Thanks in advance.

Shrp
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

One thing I'll add. When i was having the roof replaced they obviously had to take the ladder off. While off and relaxed they found a crack in it that wasn't visible when it was mounted.
So now I always climb slow and look it over REAL good as I go up.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #7

Our Pinmacle ladder is rated to 300 pounds (I am well under that) but every time I use the ladder it feel like it it will come apart in my hands. The tube construction and the mounting systems are uncomfortablely weak. We love our rig but this is one of the few negatives. I have the Werner 17' articulating ladder on my Christmas list, hope the DW reads this too.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

The ladder stinks, but it holds my 260 lbs. Yea, it flexes a little bit, but I'm not jumping up and down on it.

I would NOT stand on the slide out roof. That doesn't have the truss system that the main roof has. The slide out roof is similar construction to other non-truss roof systems. I imagine they use 2x2 and 1/4" plywood for the roof. Use a broom or a leaf blower to clean off the slide out roof.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote