Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #1

Weird electrical problems

I have a 287BHSW. I just installed a TV in the little cabinet area that says mount TV here. I plug it in and it doesn't work. So I started checking outlets. All of the outlets from that point to the rear of the trailer work. But that outlet and all of the ones in the front of the trailer stopped working. I reset the GFI with no change. I unplugged the power and took out the electrical panel and everything appears to be plugged in tight. I should also mention that we haven't moved the trailer since November I think and everything was working then. I am kind of at a loss at this point.
Also, while this is all going on my CO sensor starts going off. It gives 4 beeps like every 10 seconds or so. I pulled the fuse and tested it. Put it back in and everything returns to normal and the light is green. About a half hour later it starts going off again.
da_man1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

Are you 12v or plugged into 110v??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #3

I am plugged in to 110v
Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_man1974 View Post
I have a 287BHSW. I just installed a TV in the little cabinet area that says mount TV here. I plug it in and it doesn't work. So I started checking outlets. All of the outlets from that point to the rear of the trailer work. But that outlet and all of the ones in the front of the trailer stopped working. I reset the GFI with no change. I unplugged the power and took out the electrical panel and everything appears to be plugged in tight. I should also mention that we haven't moved the trailer since November I think and everything was working then. I am kind of at a loss at this point.
Also, while this is all going on my CO sensor starts going off. It gives 4 beeps like every 10 seconds or so. I pulled the fuse and tested it. Put it back in and everything returns to normal and the light is green. About a half hour later it starts going off again.

When you mounted the TV, did you run any nails,screws etc into the wall? Could have nipped a 110 VAC wire. When you reset the GFI did it stay engaged or did it trip again? Check the outlet you plugged the TV into, maybe something loose in there. Check the TV in in another GFI protected outlet, maybe in the house. Re the CO sensor, check the manual, sounds like maybe a low battery or maybe it is getting close to 5 years old. They need to be replaced about every 5 years.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

So I think I found the first issue. It appears that there is a loose wire in the bedroom area in one of the outlets. My question now is how do you get that thing back in place. It looks like it would push down between the copper goodies with a screwdriver. I am used to house outlets where you just stab them in and tighten the screw.
As for the CO sensor, the trailer is a 2017 so I don't think it is past it's lifetime. I also checked the batteries and they are showing full charge.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_man1974 View Post
so i think i found the first issue. It appears that there is a loose wire in the bedroom area in one of the outlets. My question now is how do you get that thing back in place. It looks like it would push down between the copper goodies with a screwdriver. I am used to house outlets where you just stab them in and tighten the screw.
As for the co sensor, the trailer is a 2017 so i don't think it is past it's lifetime. I also checked the batteries and they are showing full charge.

Make sure the power is off to the trailer, and push it down between those 'copper goodies' with your finger. If you have a doubt, post a photo.

Those 'push in' connectors cause lots of folks problems. We had a problem with one last year that caused an occasional dead short. It was a PIA to find.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote