Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Weird Kitchen Faucet Hot Water Line leak

Weird but true. RE: 2012 Jayco JF 19rd. We are seeing an intermittent water leak located where the hot water line connects to elbow running to hot water side of faucet. There is a sliver clamp at that connection site where we see the leak (drip drip drip). Weird because we do not usually use kitchen faucet. Leak seems occur after we have showered or less often used bathroom sink, but not always. We cannot seem to recreate problem at will. To stop the leak we briefly turn on the kitchen faucet. Jayco dealer performed pressure and a few other tests to no avail. Since the leak does not always occur, we can't recreate the problem at will and we are not using the kitchen faucet (except to stop the leak) I am thinking there could be a problem with the hot water side of faucet and considering having it replaced.
THX
alderhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

First question: Does it happen when you are on city water or internal fresh water (boondocking)?

You say it shows up after showering... It could be (this is a stretch) that the expansion of water as it is being heated (hot water heater recovering from normal use), the water system is being pressurized slightly higher than normal. The connection at the sink is the weakest link, but it is strong enough to hold against normal operating pressure, but not against the additional expansion.

Like I said it's a stretch.

Either way, the repair is not the faucet, but the connection between the water line and the connector for the faucet (what the silver band is supposed to be holding sealed).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
You say it shows up after showering... It could be (this is a stretch) that the expansion of water as it is being heated (hot water heater recovering from normal use), the water system is being pressurized slightly higher than normal. The connection at the sink is the weakest link, but it is strong enough to hold against normal operating pressure, but not against the additional expansion.

Like I said it's a stretch.
Not a stretch at all. I think this is what's happening. Can you put teflon tape at the threaded kitchen connection? Assuming there is a threaded connection.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Not a stretch at all. I think this is what's happening. Can you put teflon tape at the threaded kitchen connection? Assuming there is a threaded connection.
Yes you can put teflon tape on any threads to help seal it up. Make sure you put several wraps on it, not just one wrap on it.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
First.. THX for you insight. Problem has occurred when both Dry Camping and on city water. I've always used a pressure regulator when on city water.
The hot water line is attached to the hot water side of faucet by an elbow. Where the hot water line connects to the elbow there is a metal clamp. It does appear to be threaded(Maybe compression?) Where the elbow connects to the faucet it could be a threaded connection. I've only seen/felt the drip coming off the metal clamp, but gravity does strange things. If I could attached a picture I have it may help better explain what I am trying to say in words. I will take your reply to Jayco service. I have an apt with them tomorrow.
Take care...
alderhaha is offline   Reply With Quote