Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

Angry Well I get the stupid prize today

Well finally get the trailer back from storage, up here in Canada, Heading out this weekend, thought I should get her all checked out a prepped. Should have gone inside and had dinner. Well put the key in turn it and "Snap" broke the key in the lock (only lucky part was it unlocked)... okay, I can deal with this, I will take the handle out. So off to the garage for a screw driver.. start on lower right screw. Its been put on by he-man and checked for safety by the Hulk. so I push hard put my back into it starts to turn.. I like good progress, yeah right, that dang screw snapped the head off.

So i closed the door... put the tools away...and came back inside, trying not to break anything on the way to the computer.

So now what.. I need a new lock, on keys.. I afraid to remove the other screw in case I break them. I not happy, looked at screw it was put in on an angle by the look of the remaining piece. Maybe I will just use the deadbolt :lightning:
Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmahonm View Post
..... Its been put on by he-man and checked for safety by the Hulk.....:

Few things make me literally laugh out loud, but this was one of them. I'm sorry I have nothing else to offer, but take comfort knowing you made me laugh if it helps.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

I have a Jayco Hybrid TT, and I broke one of the keys in one of the bed latches. I decide to try and get the broken key out and I managed to lock the latch and the lock is destroyed. I managed to get some new cylinders and keys from here:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global...eys/Outside-RV

They provide locks and keys to many RV manufacturers. You will need the number on your key to match up with. I eventually called a locksmith to get the broken key out and he replaced the cylinder for me.

Good Luck!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Team

You realize of course we have a special thread for these "incidents"!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...aded-RV-moment
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #5

Crabman, thanks for the link, I had a few good chuckles. I once again not alone. I think once I get to the campsite on the weekend I will take another look at it and see.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #6

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The lock on our trailer will work real hard at times. Usually is works easy but on occassion it has been a bear to turn.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmahonm View Post
So now what.. I need a new lock, on keys.. I afraid to remove the other screw in case I break them. I not happy, looked at screw it was put in on an angle by the look of the remaining piece. Maybe I will just use the deadbolt :lightning:
What is wrong with only depending upon the deadbolt? Seems like a good locking method to me.

If you decide to try removing the remaining screws there's a couple things I would do. Spray some WD-40 on the screws and general area. There are better penetrating oils than WD-40, but WD-40 is fairly benign in that it won't attack most materials, doesn't have an obnoxious smell, and any residue cleans off fairly easily. Let it soak for days if you have the option.

Before you try to remove the screws give each screw head a few good raps with a small hammer. The jarring of the screws often helps to break loose any corrosion. If the screw heads are recessed then use a proper sized hex driver bit from a multiple bit screwdriver. Fit the bit into the screw head and rap on the hex end. You may need to hold the bit with needlenose pliers for striking.

If the screw starts to turn out it is best to use a back it off a little and screw it back in method. That allows the threads to clean themselves as the screw moves in and out a bit. If you try to just back the screw out completely the corrosion can bind the screw threads and cause it to catch and break.

Use a good quality screwdriver designed for the fastener style. For the most part Stanley is not an example of good quality.

Good luck. vic
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #8

^^Good advice. KROIL is my penetrant of choice, been using that stuff for 20 years and haven't found anything that comes close. If you want to score some points, buy a case and give a can to your mechanical family members as stocking stuffers.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
^^Good advice. KROIL is my penetrant of choice, been using that stuff for 20 years and haven't found anything that comes close. If you want to score some points, buy a case and give a can to your mechanical family members as stocking stuffers.
I completely agree with Kroil being a favorite. It does have a rather pungent lingering smell which some people find objectionable.

For this situation (I haven't seen the door) I think that given enough time to soak in the less effective, but less stinky WD-40 will probably do the job.

Kroil is definitely the better product as to helping to loosen corroded parts. vic