Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Well, this is DISAPPOINTING!

Proud new Jayfeather 23RL owner. In doing 'shakedown' for upcoming trip, began process of double checking systems. Added second battery, upgraded propane tanks and cover, got backup camera installed (Not a Furrion) flush and fill water. That is where the problem began...
Started filling with fresh water, got first indicator light, turned on pump. Figured it would run for a couple of minutes to fill hot water heater. Five minutes later, pump still running, second indicator light on tank level. Still no water at faucet. Hmmm...obvious that Camping World OKC did not completely test the water system. Neither did Jayco.
Finally got water through the hot water system and weak pressure in cold water. So I stepped outside and found water running out of a hose poked through the underside cover behind right rear wheel, directly below fresh water fill. Water still flowing nicely into fill on the side of the trailer. Indicator showing fresh water full. So I walked 60 feet to faucet and turned it off. When I returned to trailer water was still running out of the 1/2 inch nylon reinforced hose that was protruding behind rear wheel.

Pulled the cover over the water pump found problem #1. Pulled power converter and found problem #2.

Problem #1 was kinked 1/2 inch nylon reinforced hose supplying water from the tank. Cut the hose about 1 inch from existing crimp added pex adapters and about 4 inches of tube. While hooking it up, water pump fell off the wall it was mounted to but stripped out mounts. All screws still there, so re-mounted in new holes without problems.

Problem #2 NO VENT on water fill...just a hole in the side of the trailer. Oh, wait...there is more of the 1/2 inch nylon reinforced tubing in a loop up one side of water pipes, crossed over and back down through the floor. And through a very rough cut out to the suspect hose behind the right rear tire. So I pulled...and up she came. EXACT length to get to the fill cap on the side of the trailer, and I was just exactly mad enough to get a clamp on it and secure it to the outside port.
Must have been the same guy (moron) who put all the plumbing in the right side of this trailer. And Camping World OKC, no excuse.
No pic of crimped hose on water pump, but first pic shows thick white hose among the wiring, second picture is of the hole in the side of the unit looking at back side of fill port, and last one is flash photo of 'integrity'.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0231.JPG   DSC_0232.JPG  
Attached Images

kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

That pipe that was sticking through the floor, that is your all in one vent pipe and over flow pipe. Jayco does not use the little tube, that can be connected to the gravity fill port.

You will want that tube open for filling the tank.

Question really is why was it pouring out water right away? if the loop is not tall enough sometimes they are known to syphon water out of the tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
DKB

Wow! Quality control was off that day huh? I’m still finding things with mine but it was expected buying used. Good luck
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Top picture shows the hole in the side of the unit where the vent/overflow goes. I'd much rather have it on the side, instead of under, six inches from the tire. And there is NOTHING in the literature concerning the fresh water tank, vent or fill. It just 'advises to sanitize' before use.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #5

Sorry as this isn't your main topic, but did you upgrade to 30 pound tanks? Was it easy?

thanks!

Kevin
Campingteacher79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Had previously upgraded on my unit, downgraded before trading and kept the parts. The only thing besides bigger tanks, is enough feed hose to get to raised regulator, longer brace rod, taller cover. I used all-thread from Ace and bought a tall tank cover with a couple of nuts and washers locked as a landing platform.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #7

Jayvo expected.

Im on my secind unit, I will post my story for unit one when I make it back home, and unit 2 also has a backstory.

Im sure Jayco was awesome when It started but nowadays i think its just to corporate so they lost their touch.

The only good thing i see is the travel trailers are simple so when something needs changing or fixing you can do it youraelf and take the time to do it right.
2019 - Jayco - JayFeather SLX 174BH
enri1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad dealer prep, bad plumbing, poor workmanship