Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

What brakes on my 2015?

Hey guys -
I just went to do a brake adjustment for our upcoming trip out west. Strange thing is that I don't see how to adjust them. There is nothing in the manual that I see regarding brakes. There is no rubber dust plug on any brake plate. There are 2 oval openings on each, but I don't see the usual adjustment wheel inside those. Other than hose 2 openings, there is no access into the back plate.

I see there are some Dexter Never Adjust brakes, perhaps these are them?

I know the camper has the Easy Lube axles. It's a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH w Elite package. Just wondering what I do to adjust them if possible. Thanks?

Note : my back plate looks the same as in this video at 4 minutes. This is for Never Adjust so I'm thinking that what I have?
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

I just serviced the bearings on my 2015...

Yeah, there are things in there that strongly suggest self-adjustment...

The star-wheel behind the magnet is the base adjustment.

Then you have the wire rope linked to the reaction arm and pivoted off to the pawl that moves the star wheel whenever the brakes move too much in a single stroke.

Use the brakes when baking and they'll always stay reasonably well adjusted.

BUT, nothing replaces having a look in there from time to time!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

Is there a way to do the usual adjustment from the rear plate without removing the hub? I didn't see any star wheel from the rear.

TT - 2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
TV - 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins diesel
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitFD View Post
Is there a way to do the usual adjustment from the rear plate without removing the hub? I didn't see any star wheel from the rear.
You won't see the star wheel from the rear. The only way to see all the parts is to undo the hub nut and pull it apart. You should be doing it annually or every couple of thousand miles anyway.

Jack each wheel and give them a spin. If you can hear the brakes just lightly rubbing on the inside of the drum, leave them alone, they are fine.

While there is no load on the tires, check the run-out in the bearings: Push the top of the tire towards the trailer while pulling the bottom outwards, then reverse. There should be no movement whatsoever and no noise. Any click or movement, service the bearings NOW!

You can access the star wheel through a slot in the backing plate. It can be done with a screwdriver, though a "brake spoon" is much easier.

Unless you really know what you are doing, DON'T mess with the adjustment. You have the potential to set the brakes against the drum. The star wheel turns in only one direction (unless you can release the ratchet pawl). Once the brakes are locked, the drum becomes extremely difficult to remove.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote