Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

What brand Power Tongue jack does Jayco use?

Looking to replace my manual crank with a power tongue jack. Ive heard its a super simple switch (unbolt old, bolt on new, run wire to battery).
What brand does Jayco use (for a 29BHS) ?
also, is there a brand you like?
I assume were looking at a 3,500lb capacity model?

Thank you,
David
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

I would highly recommend calling eTrailer and discussing the jack nwith them. I can not tell you how happy I have been with their customer service. Also they will price match so why would I purchase anywhere else. I should mention they are located about 90 miles from me here in Missouri so another reason I like to support them.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

You'll also need a fuse & fuse holder if the jack wiring doesn't include that.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

I've always preferred the Barker VIP3500. Have used that jack for years with no issue on the bumper pulls we've owned. Just gotta make sure you get the correct stroke / length. I think the options are 18 or 24". On the reversed / flipped tongue coupler that the Jay Flights use, the 24" is the better way to go. There may be some other jacks out there that will work fine, but I'm just a Barker fan.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I've always preferred the Barker VIP3500. Have used that jack for years with no issue on the bumper pulls we've owned. Just gotta make sure you get the correct stroke / length. I think the options are 18 or 24". On the reversed / flipped tongue coupler that the Jay Flights use, the 24" is the better way to go. There may be some other jacks out there that will work fine, but I'm just a Barker fan.
X2 Bought ours off Amazon and it worked flawlessly and should for the new owners of our TT.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 AM   #6

From what I can tell, Jayco uses a cheap Chinese off brand called RVPro FIC-3500-2. It's not a very good one, IMO. As soon as it's under load, it's loud enough to wake the dead. I can see replacing what's on my new 23RB in 1 or 2 years, whether it breaks or not.

The first one I will look at when I replace what is currently on my trailer, will be the Barker VIP 3500. I've had two of them. The first one was the smaller VIP 3000. Even though it was relatively light weight, it had worked for several years on two different trailers. I, unfortunately, destroyed it by trying to move the truck and trailer while the post was still down. The Barkers, I know, are made in the USA.

Replaced it with the Barker VIP 3500. It was great, but, unfortunately, I left it on the trailer I sold since I knew the 2RB came with a power tongue jack. Mistake.

I could be convinced to look at one of the heavier 4000 or 4500 pound ones.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Our one and only power jack is a Bulldog. The TT came with a manual crank, and since DW does the up-and-down to hook up, the hand crank was used only once. The Bulldog has worked flawlessly for going on 5 years, and never blown a fuse even when run up to the stop. Just my .02 worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #8

Like most things in a Jayco if it can be bought from LCI (Lippert) it probably was.

This is the one on my camper.

https://store.lci1.com/electric-tongue-jack-black-1

It works fine, I don't have any complaints. Compared to the one on our old camper I like how this one has a foot that drops down rather than deal with those plastic traffic cone devices under the jack. But it isn't like that is a feature exclusive to this jack.

I am sure there are better ones out there for the money but it is the one that came with my Jayco and I see no need to replace it.

If I can find anything to complain about it would be the labeling. There is a switch for the light (on/off) very clear. The switch for the jack is labeled up/down. You just have to remember that it is in reference to what the tongue is doing not the foot. So Up is extending the jack and Down is raising it. Every now and then I walk up and want to extend the jack so I am going to put it Down. I mean Up... Like I said, it is the only very minor thing I can find to complain about.

Another thing to consider if getting one. I would get a cover for it. Many people throw a 5 gallon bucket or something over it. I have one of those rain covers from Amazon. Either works fine. They are waterproof but another layer of protection will help.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

We just use the stock cheapo one that came with the trailer. It's loud and slow, but it still works after almost three camping seasons. I can't justify replacing it while it still does it's job, and if/when it dies, that's when I'll upgrade to a better one.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #10

I have a "Atwood" we have used for over 10 years on 2 Jayco's. Excellent operaion, never an issue, except for a bulb replacement & ATWOOD is made in the USA.

Happy Camping
Buckeyejim
Columbus OH
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #11

Thank you everyone.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #12

I have a Husky 4500 on mine i replaced the original with a heavier jack.

I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and the heavy rated jack makes short work of lifting the trailer and back of truck high enough to do the cam locks by hand.

Making it much easier and safer! I would highly reccomend the Husky to anyone.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
I have a Husky 4500 on mine i replaced the original with a heavier jack.

I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and the heavy rated jack makes short work of lifting the trailer and back of truck high enough to do the cam locks by hand.

Making it much easier and safer! I would highly reccomend the Husky to anyone.
Bruce, what was the reason you replaced the jack? The factory Chinese (Wesco FIC) brand on my 23RLSW sounds noisy and struggles to raise the TT and TV to hook up the WDH.

Does the Husky have a grease zerk to lube the rack? I see a Ultra Fab model has that feature. Not familiar with there products.

I'll probably wait till it dies B4 replacing. I have a Husky Centerline TS WDH and I'm happy with the quality.

I think they make quality products. The next jack will be either a Barker or Husky.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Bruce, what was the reason you replaced the jack? The factory Chinese (Wesco FIC) brand on my 23RLSW sounds noisy and struggles to raise the TT and TV to hook up the WDH.

Does the Husky have a grease zerk to lube the rack? I see a Ultra Fab model has that feature. Not familiar with there products.

I'll probably wait till it dies B4 replacing. I have a Husky Centerline TS WDH and I'm happy with the quality.

I think they make quality products. The next jack will be either a Barker or Husky.
The original jack (Wesco FIC) was like you said noisy and barely raised the trailer let alone the back of the truck. I did not want it to fail at the wrong time so replaced it.

I have had the Husky almost a year and a half now no problems with it.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #15

stock cheap lasted 2 years and died on day 3 of a 6 week trip. Had to use the ratchet back up for the rest of the trip. Had the replacement ordered on Amazon that was waiting when we got home. It is a Bulldog 4500 and works great. More power and less noise.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #16

Atwood tongue jacks are the only ones I have any experience with, and I have no complaints.

Based on my experience with their other products, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from Ultra-Fab.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #17

Support Made in USA, buy Barker made in Battle Creek, MI. I purchased a VIP3500 from the Amazon Warehouse Deals section for $88.00, it came in the sealed original box which was a bit beat up, but the jack was in perfect condition, and its still running like new two years later.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
stock cheap lasted 2 years and died on day 3 of a 6 week trip. Had to use the ratchet back up for the rest of the trip. Had the replacement ordered on Amazon that was waiting when we got home. It is a Bulldog 4500 and works great. More power and less noise.
Looks like nice units. Now they only list 3500# or 4000# units. Nothing 4500#.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #19

I'm looking at the Husky and the Barker.

The Husky has a drop foot that adds a couple of inches of height and the Barker has a fixed foot.

Thoughts or opinions as to why one is better than the other?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Got a Husky. Love it so far. It uses a ball screw so no grease zerk. lights on 3 sides ( a little dim, but nice to see the ball and the WD bars). 4500#

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote