Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

What comes with my new tt?

Hello everyone,
I have been reading around and what a great resource this site is. I just put my down payment to purchase a
2016 jayflight 26BHS with the elite, thermal package
My family and I are going to drive the 10 hours to pick it up and then take a day or two to get home using the TT for the very first time while all the instruction from the dealership is still fresh in our minds.
First question is what should i expect to come with the TT as far as essential equipment such as fresh water hose, dump hose ( or whatever it is called )
Second question is what should I bring with us to make it home.
Last question is, when I am up at camping world is there anything I should purchase while I'm in the store for the trailer.

This is our first trailer and I am looking for a punch list of things we will need right out of the gate.

Also is there a way to search the site for specific topics?
Nhector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. What comes with your trailer varies by dealer. Most will provide you with a battery and RV starter kit which would include a low grade sewer hose and fresh water hose and a few other items to get you started. You will also need a weight distributing hitch system with sway control. Here is a discussion of the "Top Ten must haves" we have come up with here;

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ting-5081.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

When I picked up my new trailer we had to drive back 6 hours. A couple things I didn't consider.
The trailer brakes had never been used so they needed a breaking in period before they would work as designed. I pulled over a few times to check and adjust them on the way. After the first couple of trips they worked much better.

After the first few trips (400-500 miles) the wheel bearings need to be tightened. Not a hard job if you're handy, you do need to get each of the wheels off the ground (one at a time) which was the hardest part. I also readjusted all of the brakes while the wheels were up.

Congrats with the new trailer!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #4

I talked the dealership into adding a weight distribution hitch and a cover for the trailer.

Jhowemca- by adjusting the brakes do you mean on the brake controller or on the brakes themselves? Also wondering what tools i should bring. This is going to be a 1000 mile trip home maybe a bit more if we take hwy 1 all the way back. Picking up at portland oregon and heading back to the bay area california

Crabman- would it be worth it to pick up a better sewer hose while I'm at camping world of is that better bought somewhere else ( Amazon )
Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhector View Post
I talked the dealership into adding a weight distribution hitch and a cover for the trailer.

Jhowemca- by adjusting the brakes do you mean on the brake controller or on the brakes themselves? Also wondering what tools i should bring. This is going to be a 1000 mile trip home maybe a bit more if we take hwy 1 all the way back. Picking up at portland oregon and heading back to the bay area california

Crabman- would it be worth it to pick up a better sewer hose while I'm at camping world of is that better bought somewhere else ( Amazon )
I would get a 15' Rhinoflex sewer hose kit, available at CW or Amazon. Amazon may be a bit cheaper. The starter hose will work, but you will likely be replacing it in a year or less.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

I had to adjust each break individually at the break itself.
There is a couple of slots on the brake backing plate (underneath where the brake connect to the axle) where the adjustment is made.
You may be ok if you can't adjust them on the way back, just keep in mind they might not work well right away.
It is kinda tricky if you've never done it before, they're just like an older car brake drum in the way you adjust them.
If it is a problem maybe you could find a shop on the way back to adjust them. Any small garage should be able to do it in a half hour.

In any case I wanted you to know the brakes may not work like they should until they're broken in and adjusted.
I was going nuts trying to adjust the break controller, looking for bad connections in the trailer wiring, then the truck wiring until I figured out the brakes had never been used before (my trailer was trailered to where I picked it up)!

Oh and my dealer only included the cheaper sewer hose, it was in the bumper. Since then I've got a nice sewer hose for use at a full hookup site, but I like the cheap "slinky" hose for use at the dump stations.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

thank you guys.
One of the questions i will ask is if the trailer was hauled into the lot or pulled into the lot.
Im gonna start reading about sewer hoses now. thanks again
Old 11-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

For tools I had basic, screwdriver, hammer, prybar, bottle jack, zip ties, beer, ect...
What I did bring was a large socket set (7/8"-1 5/8") with ratchet so I could adjust the WDH.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

As others have said, the dealer is who has control over what you get, and what you need for your new unit...

Our dealer provided:

Sewer hose
Holding Tank Chemicals
Toilet tissue
Bubble level (for the fridge)
Coffee cups
Hats
Tee Shirts

He also took care of installing the Reese dual cam anti-sway system, and the leveling system. He installed the Prodigy brake controller, and test drove the rig several times to make sure that the rig was level, and everything was working correctly.

If there is a parts and accessory store there at the dealership, check and see if you get a discount, as a new owner. We got 10% off and purchased a fresh water hose, regulator, refrigerator thermometer, refrigerator cooling fan, spring bars for the cabinets and refrigerator (Ya don't want everything tumbling out when you open the doors!), and other misc. goodies.

Take a 12 volt drill and a 1/2" (I think) socket for raising and lowering the landing jacks... makes it a lot easier and faster!

Most of all, have fun and be safe!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #10

Walmart carries many of the same accessories as Camping World and most dealers at a lower price. Water, sewer hoses, leveling blocks, water filter, paper products.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #11

Before leaving the dealer, check the tire pressures. Good luck!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhector View Post
thank you guys.
One of the questions i will ask is if the trailer was hauled into the lot or pulled into the lot.
Im gonna start reading about sewer hoses now. thanks again
Sewer hose poll, Rhinoflex is the most popular all around hose on this forum but there are other good ones as well. We have polls and discussions to cover many RV related topics

Sewer hose poll:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-17395.html

JOF Poll Central:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ral-10057.html
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Sure hoping for a great first trip. I would suggest holding off on a load of purchases and just get the things you will need for safety, like chocks and the basics. This shake down trip home will be a great lesson in what you need. You should get some basic stuff but will quickly find that there are many options and what is right for you is what you want. Get in the habit of checking tire pressures each morning before hitting he road.

Have a great experience.

My important things to take away from the dealer is how to connect and disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle properly and how to use the trailers systems correctly.

You will be taking many trips and equipping the trailer will be one of the most enjoyable parts of it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #14

Hi Guys,
We did the same thing purchased the trailer in Michigan drove back to AZ. The dealer went to the factory and pulled the trailer back. Depending on the model only the lug nuts need to be checked for torque. The bearings are greased and factory torqued so they only need checking. The brakes I have in mine are self adjusting. You will also need a brake controller along with that Weight Distribution hitch. Dealers ships normally do all the set up and adjustments before you pick it up because 99% of all travel trailers sent to dealerships are towed by private vehicles. The dealership then passes that delivery charge on to you.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #15

Before you leave the dealer, also make sure you account for all remotes, glass plate in the microwave, and the sink covers for the kitchen sink since your unit has the Elite package.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #16

Thanks for all the advice. I will defiantly have this site open while I'm checking out the trailer.