Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2022, 03:16 PM   #1

What cover to get?

So I live in Arizona, and bought a used JAyco 198RD a few years ago. It is in great shape, and want to keep it that way.

I bought a cover for it when I bought it, from Amazon (I know, don't start). It has failed, the sun baked it, and it is basically falling off.

What are good RV covers for the 24' length trailer, with the sun being the primary reason. It is parked next to the house on a concrete pad on shore power for storage, with a generator mount on the front. I have looked at many types, but want some real world answers for those that have had good or bad experiences.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaywood5785 View Post
What are good RV covers for the 24' length trailer, with the sun being the primary reason.
Every cover I've seen in our park in FL has done the same thing, destroyed by the sun.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
So I live in Arizona, and bought a used JAyco 198RD a few years ago. It is in great shape, and want to keep it that way.

I bought a cover for it when I bought it, from Amazon (I know, don't start). It has failed, the sun baked it, and it is basically falling off.

What are good RV covers for the 24' length trailer, with the sun being the primary reason. It is parked next to the house on a concrete pad on shore power for storage, with a generator mount on the front. I have looked at many types, but want some real world answers for those that have had good or bad experiences.

Not in Arizona, or any other high UV state. Not much of anything survives a year or two in our sun. Covered parking is the only solution, and while it is expensive, I have found it worth it. I see very few RVs in this state that are not so badly sun faded with decals falling off.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #4

Even here in the central portion of California, where temps are not as hot as the Phoenix, AZ area, but we still average 40+ days over 100 degrees during the summer. Summer time is a death-blow to trailer and car covers of all sizes and material types.

I agree with CAG, covered parking is the only way to truly protect your RV from extreme heat and sun.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:

I'm not in sun country, but live in upper Michigan. I've bought 3 covers over the last 12 years, one for a class C, one for a Triumph 32' travel trailer, and one for a Jayco Skylark. Not buying one for my 2022 Jayco.
Three different sellers. Two looked like they were manufactured out of the same material, but none lasted over 2 to 3 years, not sure if it was wind, sun, ice or snow.

Adco, Sun Country and Camco. 2 or 3 years and they are history.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
I'm not in sun country, but live in upper Michigan. I've bought 3 covers over the last 12 years, one for a class C, one for a Triumph 32' travel trailer, and one for a Jayco Skylark. Not buying one for my 2022 Jayco.
Three different sellers. Two looked like they were manufactured out of the same material, but none lasted over 2 to 3 years, not sure if it was wind, sun, ice or snow.

Adco, Sun Country and Camco. 2 or 3 years and they are history.

Add Arizona UV to that.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Add Arizona UV to that.
Thought you covered that in the third post

Add it to mine if you want, these are just my Michigan experiences.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #8

I have a Calmark cover going on 5 years now for my 19RD. It is very heavy and troublesome to put on (removing is pretty easy) so it's only on for non-camping season which is not the high UV season unfortunately. Also pretty spendy.

https://calmarkcovers.com/

D
Old 04-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Thought you covered that in the third post

Add it to mine if you want, these are just my Michigan experiences.
I did but my experience here is most read the OPs post and start typing never looking at any other response. If you read these you find the same thing repeated every other post.

Old 04-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #10

I have no stock in RV cover companies, so I don’t have a dog in this fight. But we live in a region that gets just as much heat and sun as Phoenix during the summer. I figure every minute of scorching sun I keep from hitting the trailer — or snow/hail/rain in winter — is beneficial and money well spent. Here’s my routine:

I bought an Elements All-Climate cover in 2018 and put it on each fall after camping season. It takes two of us but it protects well and still is in great shape. In summer, we travel out of the heat as much as possible. But, if we are going to be home for more than a couple of weeks, I throw my lightweight RV Masking cover over it. It was not super expensive and is light enough I can put it on myself. It shields the roof and body from the sun for the weeks we’re home. It is also in great shape after two years.

I wish I had the option to park my rig in a shelter, but I don’t. This is the next best thing and if I have to shell out a few hundred bucks every couple of years for a new cover, it’s worth it. My roof still looks great and the TT siding looks brand new. YMMV but it works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
69CDAF9A-CEA3-476B-9B00-5E09D0CB8695.jpg   A598025D-A746-4010-B1CC-6A2F10E191A3.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #11

I typically get 3-4 years out of a cover. Most have been ADCO. In my opinion the protection they provide is worth $75/per season they cost. I much prefer removing the cover in the Spring to find a clean RV ready for camping versus having to begin each camping season clean a Fall and Winter's worth of crud off the trailer.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #12
Site Team

Fortunately, we don't have the extreme heat or sun here in NY so covers last longer, but are still sacrificial. Their demise here is winter. We had an Adco first, that lasted seven winters, now we have a National RV cover that just went through its second winter.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #13

We have an ADCO cover, only problem we have is the corners getting torn through from high wind (rainspouts). There were pool noodle pieces on them but they apparently fell off over the winter. Also our cover is only a couple years old so possibly due for replacement soon anyway.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
We have an ADCO cover, only problem we have is the corners getting torn through from high wind (rainspouts). There were pool noodle pieces on them but they apparently fell off over the winter. Also our cover is only a couple years old so possibly due for replacement soon anyway.
Buy four tennis balls, cut X’s in each and push them onto the spouts. They’ll stay put and protect your cover.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:06 PM   #15

For our small roof we use a a breathable fabric car cover. It keeps snow, ice, leaves, twigs, and bird and squirrel droppings off the roof and extends down about a foot all around. It's held in place with eight lines each on a bungee. The bungees allow it to give and blow and flap around in the wind while staying in place. It's held up for five winters, but we have very little sun here and I don't worry about the sides of the trailer much, just the roof. We have 1" pipe insulation pieces covering the downspouts and taped over any knots or bungee ends in the lines. Works really well for us.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #16

RV cover

I had bought a Classic Accessories cover and it was ruined in short order - to their credit, they sent me a warranty replacement which lasted a little longer but the combination of wind and sun did it in as well. The 2nd cover also trapped what little moisture we get here - no bueno... Sooo...

I bought a HF black mesh tarp that has actually held up very well, and hopefully helps with some UV protection and doesn't trap moisture. Not the most glamorous looking thing, but seems to work for me...

Jeff from sunny Phoenix!
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:12 PM   #17

I live in Southern Arizona. I would love to put a cover on my trailer....however.... Some of the guys in storage by me said the high winds would beat the heck out of the RV finish...with the cover doing the damage. So I've elected not to cover. I do need to hire someone to wash and wax the rig... But I feel that's no different then buying a cover once a year.
In another situation, I had a very heavy old fashioned canvas cover over my sailboat for years. It didn't mar the finish, but I did have to make sure there was ventilation during the summer monsoon season... That canvas held the moisture in....rare as moisture is around here!!
So.. Not really answering your question.... But suggest you do more research. Ask wear and tear questions from manufacturers. If you find a product you liked, try it out. Let us know results....
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
I live in Southern Arizona. I would love to put a cover on my trailer....however.... Some of the guys in storage by me said the high winds would beat the heck out of the RV finish...with the cover doing the damage. So I've elected not to cover. I do need to hire someone to wash and wax the rig... But I feel that's no different then buying a cover once a year.
In another situation, I had a very heavy old fashioned canvas cover over my sailboat for years. It didn't mar the finish, but I did have to make sure there was ventilation during the summer monsoon season... That canvas held the moisture in....rare as moisture is around here!!
So.. Not really answering your question.... But suggest you do more research. Ask wear and tear questions from manufacturers. If you find a product you liked, try it out. Let us know results....
VideoAZ — Don’t know if you still have the sailboat but I have a custom-made cover out of Sunbrella fabric on ours. Not cheap by any means but it breathes as well as provides great UV protection. It’s on winter and summer with no mildew whatsoever. Great product.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #19

Harbor Freight

Lived in Apache Junction Arizona for 11 years, covered our spa and travel trailer with cotton painter tarps from Harbor Freight and they worked great. We got 3 o 4 years before they denigrated from heat but kept everything under in pristine shape and cheap to replace...👍

Quote:

Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #20

I won't ever put another cover on my units. The elements absolutely destroyed them. First time, the spouts cut it like Freddie Krueger. The second on failed due to plain rot. I figure, they don't cover them on lots so...I'm done with them. Haven't had any adverse effects from not covering them. I check my roof religiously and all the seals are taken care of. Just be diligent on preventative maintenance. For the money I paid, it better resist the elements.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote