Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

What didn't you need?

When we bought our trailer last year my wife went hog wild. She set about decorating and stocking it. Don't get me wrong. I am very grateful for all she's done. Not have ever owned one of our own before, I really had no idea what was truly a necessity and what wasn't. Needless to say a year later there are still a few items we purchased that are still wrapped in their original packaging and some that we've only used once. For instance, there are three complete rolls of non slip shelf liner in a storage cabinet just waiting for the day we will need them.
PNWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

We always wait to buy things until we discover a need for them. But there are things that we bought that we eventually found we didn't want or need. A complete set of camping dishes for example. It got to be a hassle washing them. We've long since gone to paper plates and now enjoy more of our time in leisure pursuits. We bought the plates at a rummage. We sold them at a rummage.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #3

What didn't you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDriver View Post
...snip For instance, there are three complete rolls of non slip shelf liner in a storage cabinet just waiting for the day we will need them.
If that's all you didn't need, give your wife a big hug! She did a fantastic job!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

A thumbs-up to those who purchase whirly-gigs, banners, pennants, and wind-socks ~ something we didn't need ... so we didn't purchase. Although they set a cheery tone that invites meeting your campground neighbors, we prefer the anonymity and privacy!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #5

This is an interesting question that forced me to think a bit. There are lots of things that we don't use every trip, many of which are not needs but nice to have items. We decided when we bought out first TT that we didn't want to pack the same things over an over each trip. We add clothes, food and drinks each time. We leave in place everything else.

Sure 5 bath towels and 5 beach towels aren't needed for each trip -- but its sure nice to know I am not going to forget them if we do need it.

Place settings for 6 + a compliment of paper plates and plastic flatware aren't both needed, but I like my dinner on a real plate and lunch is oftern on paper. So we live with it.

I carry two 5 gallon fresh water totes just in case, only needed them once in Yosemite when they didn't have water running in the CG loop we were in but I was damn glad I had them so they will stay.

We also carry extra 50' of water hose and 25' 30A extension. Not always needed, but certianly happy to have it.

I can go on and on but that is how we manage it.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

About every year or two I go through the trailer and take a good look at everything and decide that if it hasn't been used in the past year, do we really need it? One year I reduced the amount of stuff by close to a third, and opened up plenty of storage for more stuff. Coleman lantern and fuel, Dutch oven, mostly empty cans of bug spray, three dog leashes (we only have one dog!), stuff that we never used and probably never will. It's a good habit to get into, because space is at a premium, and weight even more so.
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

clubhouse did a good job on his post.. I have probably 50' of sewer hose but 99% of the time only use 10'... I have every possible combination of fuses but have never used one. 3 spare inner tubes for our bicycles.. thick, medium and thin rope (ya never know).. All sorts of kitchen utensil's that we have either on used once or just know that we will someday...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #8

I always say "I'ld rather be lookin' at it than lookin' for it" But that attitude can quickly get you overloaded. I brought a small 12" chainsaw that I didnt use. But I might bring it again. I figure I can cut my own firewood. I brought a skillsaw, cordless drills and bits ,sheetrock screws some 2x4's and 2x6's. air compresser. I have a generater on the tongue and helped out a guy last trip changing his tire. I bring a floor jack I bring a 5gal. can of diesel. Didnt use that ,but the peace of mind is priceless.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

Most of the stuff that I feel I am responsible for falls into the "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" category. Unfortunately, that stuff (my stuff) is also usually heavier and bulkier than some extra stuff the DW packs.

When delivering trailers for Jayco, some of the bulkier stuff I had (and transported for over 300,000 miles and never used) tire chains, vehicle antifreeze & water to mix, motor oil, transmission fluid, wrenches, spare WDH parts, fire extinguishers, emergency reflectors... wait! I did use the reflectors once. I plan to stop carrying the liquids around, but will be adding camping axes, saws, block and tackle, and ???

Anyway, I have the stuff I bring and the DW has the stuff she brings. We never look over the others shoulder, except in a good way, and never berate the other for stuff that was needed but forgotten (that's why there are stores ). Our system has worked for us (for 37 years) and we are happy with it.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

We seem to be pretty good as far as this goes. We don't use everything we have every time, but we do use everything we have sometimes. We're about to go from a PUP to the TT, which means that the almost-too-much stuff we have now won't seem like all that much, because we'll have so much more storage.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #11

We do like clubhouse, just add clothes, food and drink.

On longer trips we will add generator(s) 120v air compressor, gas can for generators.

Use only paper plates and eat out some.

Our panty in our stick house will feed us easily for 30 days. I have a lot of stuff, having lived in the same house for 35 years. Have some stuff, tools etc. in the trailer and truck, but try to keep it reasonable.

The older you get (we are 70+) the more security oriented you become, which includes self sufficiency for living in your house if the power goes out, et. al.
My two car garage is nothing but a workshop; no cars ever in there.

So, have to try hard not to duplicate that on the road!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #12

Hahaha....and here I thought it was only me who had a trailer full of weird, emergency stuff that I will never use -- I hope. It sure gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know it's there if I ever need it though. Glad to know that I am a "normal" camper. Drinks are on me.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #13

Want to see how much needless junk you have in your RV?

Buy a new one and have to empty the old!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Want to see how much needless junk you have in your RV?

Buy a new one and have to empty the old!

Murff
Too funny, before I got to your post and as I was reading, I thought, I'll find out this weekend when I move it all to the new camper.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Want to see how much needless junk you have in your RV? Buy a new one and have to empty the old! Murff
Exactly why we'll probably keep this one 'til the wheels fall off!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #16

We kept three lists: immediate need / may need / dream items
We still refer to that listing, and we've marked some of those items off as we either get them or rethink them, and some we've bumped down on priority.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #17

we have a brand new jayco in the drive way...first trip is over memorial day
we traded in a Viking pop up (plus lots of cash lol)

I emptied out the pop up and was horrified at how much crap we had in it...1/2 of it is still in garage waiting to be thrown out or given away...the other 1/2 is in the jayco...

there are things that were bought, thrown in storage bin, and NEVER used...
its crazy...with a tt, storage is more accessable so I don't see us doing this to the degree we did with the pop up...but my wife has been buying lots of "stuff" for it...including all new bedding...its good fun...expensive but good
Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #18

We too are starting to empty the PUP of things we know we won't need on our last trip in it, but the truth is that at one time or another we have used most of the stuff we store in the camper. Some of our trips are just out-in-the-woods camping; some are around to Highland Games, where we hold a booth for our Scottish clan; some are overnights on the way somewhere. All these "ways of camping" require different stuff. We don't take any computer but our phones, so we have travel games with us (Boggle, Scrabble, cards). We carry extra camera and lantern batteries; we have candles (tea lights, votives, and some battery pillars for decoration). We carry extra shoes, usually old gym shoes that are no longer fit for the treadmill but still good enough for casual walking. Not yet finding too much that we just never, ever, used and are wondering why it's there.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #19

As I'm reading these posts thinking of all the items in our trailer, about the only thing I can think of doing away with is the set of ceramic coffee mugs. They came with our Corelle dish set we bought specifically for the trailer. We use the dishes a lot, (and paper plates too) but very rarely ever use the coffee mugs since we have travel mugs and a couple insulated mugs. But they'll stay for the odd occasion when we have a guest.

I carry many things, some of which may be considered "excessive" (like my entire mechanic's tool set with added tools). But like some others here have said, I would rather have it and not need it...

And if you took all that stuff and piled it up together, it might weigh 100 lbs (and that's GENEROUS) and take up MAYBE half of the front pass-thru storage. Much of it is small stuff like bulbs and fuses, and I think it's foolish to travel without at least one complete set of fuses (and don't forget about those needed for the truck).

I would say that if I were going to completely inventory my entire trailer, I would end up with maybe a handful of things that would get weeded out. But now that I think of it, perhaps an inventory is a good exercise. There have been times when I thought I needed something, but I already had something that would work. But then I try to ensure everything has as many different uses as possible, hence the Gorilla tape, zip ties, paracord, and basic tool kit that I keep in the cabinet by the door.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #20

I have in mine what my dad had in the family trailer growing up
-Clothes line (sometimes used)
-bucket/ax/shovel 'cause smokey the bear said so (now really only use the ax)
- cast iron skillet, griddle for open fire cooking (still carry them, but haven't used them in years)
- propane lantern (I would hate to get rid of my expensive model, but LED lanterns would probably be less bulky and just as bright)
- too many dishes/pots/pans (we got ours at goodwill, so they don't really stack together)
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote