Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
Wow! that answers a lot.

RV dealers must be hard pressed to find good help but then again if they paid the techs properly maybe they wouldn't have to run such a desperate ad.
If you read the ad and followed it to an application, they are willing to train people. There is a whole thread on this post, bottom line they are doing EXACTLY what you would want a dealer to do. Hire people who love to work with their hands and TRAIN them to be RV techs... This is NOT a negative. It's how GREAT business's work, they train people to do the work the proper way, their way.

An electrical short is extremely difficult to trace, running continuity tests do nothing, because it works until it doesn't. Getting just the right "bump" to cause the wire to short is hit an miss at best. Short of running metal conduit throught the RV I dont' see how you can totally eliminate low voltage wiring issues. Obviously if they had major issues with the wiring they would look for a remedy, it only makes good business sense. If someone put a screw or staple in the wrong place...it sucks but people are human, they make mistakes, this is why you have a warranty. I think you have seen where your issue is, with the dealer. For them to say they can't get a wiring diagram is just plain BULL.

I think working with Jayco you will get your issues taken care of, while a short in a wire is a real aggrvation it's not like the axle fell off or a slide out fell out. It will take time and some luck but they will find it. I bet it turns out to be something simple and stupid...

Good Luck....this too shall pass.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #22

They may not send them to him immediately, I would allow 24 hours. I understand you want this resolved now but my experience with a very good RV dealer that has a huge service department is it takes some time. Best of luck.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #23

This is another symptom of the same old story. Consumers want to pay bare minimum for their product, but when the industry responds to that sometimes irrational downward market pressure on prices by cutting back on labor costs by hiring minimum wage workers, there are consequences. One of those is that the product has to be built so fast that there is no time for comprehensive testing prior to shipment. Most warranty claims can be handled by those minimum wage techs at the dealer level, so Jayco sets up their warranty reimbursement schedule for that minimum wage tech in order to control their warranty costs somewhere near a predictable average. When a more complicated problem comes along, it is too much for that routine warranty system to handle. If the dealer doesn't pay experienced troubleshooters on their staff, the problem goes undiagnosed or improperly diagnosed.

The factory can find it, as they do have some people who can effectively troubleshoot the difficult problems. But they aren't going to send somebody to pick up and deliver your RV. That's not what their warranty covers.

You are in an unenviable position. Jayco will honor the warranty, but unfortunately they will make you prove to them that you have a problem that dealers cannot diagnose. And they will make you bring them your RV.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
This is another symptom of the same old story. Consumers want to pay bare minimum for their product, but when the industry responds to that sometimes irrational downward market pressure on prices by cutting back on labor costs by hiring minimum wage workers, there are consequences. One of those is that the product has to be built so fast that there is no time for comprehensive testing prior to shipment. Most warranty claims can be handled by those minimum wage techs at the dealer level, so Jayco sets up their warranty reimbursement schedule for that minimum wage tech in order to control their warranty costs somewhere near a predictable average. When a more complicated problem comes along, it is too much for that routine warranty system to handle. If the dealer doesn't pay experienced troubleshooters on their staff, the problem goes undiagnosed or improperly diagnosed.

The factory can find it, as they do have some people who can effectively troubleshoot the difficult problems. But they aren't going to send somebody to pick up and deliver your RV. That's not what their warranty covers.

You are in an unenviable position. Jayco will honor the warranty, but unfortunately they will make you prove to them that you have a problem that dealers cannot diagnose. And they will make you bring them your RV.
Nice story but totally wrong on almost every account. Jayco pays some of the highest wages in the industry. Every unit after completion is gone over by a team to try and catch issues. Every warranty is traced back to the team that worked on the unit initially. Making 100's of units a week, Jayco has some of the fewest issues in the industry. Also at dealers not many ( I don't know of any) are making minimum wage. RV techs are a well paid well respected trade, always in demand. Because of 10,000 boomers retiring daily, and a portion of them purchaseing RV's the industry is stretched...hence the ad to for those good with their hands and willing to be trained. Are their issues with RV's of course...just as their were issues with auto's untill they starting building them with robots, eliminating the human weakness.

You can bad mouth every company and say how it's all because they don't want to pay, and how horrible their warranty is....but to the vast majority of purchasers that's not the case. As others have said, most issues wind up being the dealer who is just over streched. Just as campgrounds are getting harder to get into because of more and more RVers, the same is with dealers.. too many RVers and too few people willing to work with their hands.

I've had my Jayco over two years, built on a friday, and have never had it back to the dealer. The few minor issues I had the factory sent out replacement parts (mostly cushions etc) no questions. I'm not one that is afraid to get my hands dirty, thats part of the fun. I modify, change, add and remove so my unit works for us.. Almost everything you need to know you can find a video and gain knowledge, even if your going to take it into the dealer, an informed customer is much harder to BS.

Could Jayco or anyother company make a near perfect RV...of course..but no one would purchase it, or at least not the mass'es. You can get custom made, near perfect RV's but are you willing to pay for it. Drag your house down the road and see how it would up, and you probably paid much more for your home than your RV.. Jayco builds a good product at a good price which works well for for most people.

We live in ours for half the year, and even with that much use we have no issues. Just pulled it out of storage this week and everything has worked perfectly... refrigerator, Hot water, Furnance, Air, propaine, electrical even the battery was just as we left it.

I did make some mods, removed the panel over the MW installed a floor and a drawer head to add storage. Also made door to match existing ones and removed the false panel over the bed and added another door and shelf. Changed one wardrobe to shelves and a couple of drawers, the full almost 30 deep. Cleaned and resealed the roof, lubricated everything, recaulked where needed (almost none) and inspected everything else.

We are as happy today as the day we purchased it.. I would buy another Jayco in a hearbeat. And if I had issues I would calmly understand that most people want to help, and want to fix the issues. I also understand what is the hill to die on and what is not worth the fight. Sometimes it's just easier to just fix it yourself and move on with life. You may even get a warm and fuzzy feeling, knowing you and your RV are now "one".

Hope you can get your issues taken care of.. Know an electrical short is one of the most difficult issues to track down. You can isolate every wire and run continuity tests but unless it's shorting at that exact moment it will all show normal. Watch some videos and educate yourself, perhaps you can learn by someone elses troubles.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #25
Site Team

I would do what you are doing. Persevere with the contact at the dealer and the contact at Jayco.

Arguing among members will not fix it and everyone has an opinion. My best service has been talking with the person that can get something done with a clear head and facts to back up my experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Let's chill out and see what happens with the op's problem and how it is handled.

Can't do that with a closed thread!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Nice story but totally wrong on almost every account. Jayco pays some of the highest wages in the industry. Every unit after completion is gone over by a team to try and catch issues. Every warranty is traced back to the team that worked on the unit initially. Making 100's of units a week, Jayco has some of the fewest issues in the industry. Also at dealers not many ( I don't know of any) are making minimum wage. RV techs are a well paid well respected trade, always in demand. Because of 10,000 boomers retiring daily, and a portion of them purchaseing RV's the industry is stretched...hence the ad to for those good with their hands and willing to be trained. Are their issues with RV's of course...just as their were issues with auto's untill they starting building them with robots, eliminating the human weakness.

You can bad mouth every company and say how it's all because they don't want to pay, and how horrible their warranty is....but to the vast majority of purchasers that's not the case. As others have said, most issues wind up being the dealer who is just over streched. Just as campgrounds are getting harder to get into because of more and more RVers, the same is with dealers.. too many RVers and too few people willing to work with their hands.

I've had my Jayco over two years, built on a friday, and have never had it back to the dealer. The few minor issues I had the factory sent out replacement parts (mostly cushions etc) no questions. I'm not one that is afraid to get my hands dirty, thats part of the fun. I modify, change, add and remove so my unit works for us.. Almost everything you need to know you can find a video and gain knowledge, even if your going to take it into the dealer, an informed customer is much harder to BS.

Could Jayco or anyother company make a near perfect RV...of course..but no one would purchase it, or at least not the mass'es. You can get custom made, near perfect RV's but are you willing to pay for it. Drag your house down the road and see how it would up, and you probably paid much more for your home than your RV.. Jayco builds a good product at a good price which works well for for most people.

We live in ours for half the year, and even with that much use we have no issues. Just pulled it out of storage this week and everything has worked perfectly... refrigerator, Hot water, Furnance, Air, propaine, electrical even the battery was just as we left it.

I did make some mods, removed the panel over the MW installed a floor and a drawer head to add storage. Also made door to match existing ones and removed the false panel over the bed and added another door and shelf. Changed one wardrobe to shelves and a couple of drawers, the full almost 30 deep. Cleaned and resealed the roof, lubricated everything, recaulked where needed (almost none) and inspected everything else.

We are as happy today as the day we purchased it.. I would buy another Jayco in a hearbeat. And if I had issues I would calmly understand that most people want to help, and want to fix the issues. I also understand what is the hill to die on and what is not worth the fight. Sometimes it's just easier to just fix it yourself and move on with life. You may even get a warm and fuzzy feeling, knowing you and your RV are now "one".

Hope you can get your issues taken care of.. Know an electrical short is one of the most difficult issues to track down. You can isolate every wire and run continuity tests but unless it's shorting at that exact moment it will all show normal. Watch some videos and educate yourself, perhaps you can learn by someone elses troubles.

Happy Camping
Geez, relax. There are many brands of decaf on the market. You totally misunderstood what I wrote. No, I won't explain further. That will also likely be completely misunderstood.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #28

I ask about Bozeman because I'm near Missoula and Rangetch Brothers here has been great and thorough with all service, warranty or otherwise. I once asked, for someone else here on the forum, if they would service Jaycos bought elsewhere and they said sure, call us.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #29

The result isn't satisfactory so far but may be a temporary workable solution. Basically they are saying because it is intermittent they can't find it and won't tear the camper apart to expose the wiring.

Jayco did not wire the unit intelligently. They ran the wire from the front bottom to the front top, then through the roof to the back right and then down to the tail lights. Can't fix stupid. If the short is in the roof that would be extremely costly and I really don't want anyone tearing off the roof. Too many people have had major problems when their roofs have been removed for issues and rebuilt. No thanks.

The techs at the dealer said when they can find the short if it is in the roof they would cut the wires going to the roof and run them under the floor in the enclosed area which is exactly where Jayco should have done it in the first place.

Jayco doesn't seem to care how they build these things anymore. They sent an almost unreadable wiring diagram which was of no real value because it didn't explain where the wires ran. The dealer went back and forth with Jayco and Jayco finally confessed the way they wired the unit.

So the dealer installed an automatic resetting fuse in the line so that when it shorts it will 'blow' the fuse and ten seconds later it resets. This is a temporary fix. They said that with this at least it can be driven at night. If the wire gets to the point it shorts continuously or breaks in half then they can find it and fix it.

The dealer also suggested I go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of magnetic trailer lights for the brakes which I can mount to the bumper! A one year old Jayco needing a set of magnetic tail lights! Can't wait to get rid of this pile of junk and buy a quality unit - NOT Jayco.

Based on this experience I won't ever buy another Jayco and will never have anything good to say about them. I will do everything I can to persuade everyone to stay away from Jayco products.

They don't build them so they can be easily repaired but rather slap them together as fast as they can because they are 8 months behind on orders and as long as it resembles a camper when it comes out the other end they don't care. They don't care if anything works or not.

They give their workers quotas so they have to build so many units a week and if they get them built before the end of the week they can take the rest of the week off! Now that is how you produce quality isn't it? NOT. Proof Jayco doesn't care about quality.

It is absolutely impossible to build quality if they are working as fast as humanly possible to get as many units out as they can.

Quality ONLY comes from a careful production line that takes the right amount of time to build the product. No rushing, but careful attention to detail. Something Jayco doesn't understand at all and appears incapable of understanding. Had I known any of this I would have never wasted my money on this pile of junk in the first place.

Sorry all you people that still believe Jayco makes a quality unit, they may have done so decades ago but no longer.

My wife and I are looking to buy a new rv this fall and spend upwards of $90k. Jayco won't ever have the opportunity to get their filthy hands on that money.
watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #30

Sorry for your issues but 90 grand ain't gonna buy you anything different in the RV world no matter what manufacturer you choose to go to. Best of luck.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM   #31
Site Team

Thor (which owns Jayco) and Forest River control over 80% of the towables market, and you can find threads like this on any of their forums so problems can and do occur with all brands of mass produced RV. There are many disgruntled RV owners. As for the overflow hose siphoning off the water this is a common problem and can be easily solved with a valve on the overflow hose. You open the valve when filling and close when traveling. 3 bucks and you`re done.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #32

"...so problems can and do occur with all brands of mass produced RV."

Hate to say it, but the build quality would benefit from fewer employees and more automation, or robots, like the auto industry. But that isn't in the cards because each maker has too many models with not enough production numbers, not to mention Lord knows how many brands with total sales about equal to the number of Toyota Camrys alone sold in the U.S. This could be one industry where the consumer could benefit from less competition. So I'll be holding on to our six year old Eagle until it starts being a problem and forces me to buy a new one.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #33

[QUOTE=watchman;520848]Hi,

I'm new here only having owned my Jayco for a year.

The dealer did fix the tub and claimed there was nothing wrong with the brakes even though one wheel heats up so hot you can't touch it while the other three are cold.
QUOTE]

Brakes or maybe it is a bad wheel bearing?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Seann45;523196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
Hi,

I'm new here only having owned my Jayco for a year.

The dealer did fix the tub and claimed there was nothing wrong with the brakes even though one wheel heats up so hot you can't touch it while the other three are cold.
QUOTE]

Brakes or maybe it is a bad wheel bearing?
I have sent certified mail to the owners of an RV store near me!That seems to get there attention.Brakes maybe bearing. If the bearing goes I think so does the axle! Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Pic G.F. Good.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
problems can and do occur with all brands of mass produced RV. There are many disgruntled RV owners.
Definitely, even happens with "factory direct" units. Just read a post by a NEXUS MH buyer that was nothing, but complaints and extreme difficulty getting NEXUS to make it right and those are supposed to be "high end" units.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #36

Man, all those problems with a single camper sucks. I guess I got lucky with my 26BH because I have never had to return to the dealer in 4 years for a repair. I do have some wiring issues that popped up but I believe they were caused by mice.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote