Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

What do I do now?

Hi,

I'm new here only having owned my Jayco for a year.

My 2017 26BH has been nothing but problems from the medicine cabinet falling off the wall to brakes not working to interior wall panels falling off, the tub not installed correctly, the overflows on the fresh water tanks completely draining the tanks while you drive so that you don't have any fresh water when you get to your destination and the marker lights shorting out and on and on.

The dealer told me the problem with the overflows on the tanks is a very common problem and they don't have a fix but that I could install ball valves on the overflows so they can't work while I drive! Jayco won't fix it.

The dealer did fix the tub and claimed there was nothing wrong with the brakes even though one wheel heats up so hot you can't touch it while the other three are cold.

I have been dealing with the dealer on the marker lights now for over a month. It is an intermittent short that blows the fuse and prevents me being able to drive at night.

I took it in about a month ago for this problem and they claimed they could not find a problem but they replaced the cord that plugs into the truck anyway, not sure why since they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. Maybe it made them feel better.

I picked it up and within blocks of the dealer the fuse blew again and I immediately returned to the dealer and talked with them. A mechanic was there and said it was most likely a wire that was bouncing and the insulation had been cut off because Jayco is known for stapling through wires and running wires through sharp metal openings that cut through the insulation and short like that. He said it is a very common problem with these products.

So they took it back in and I have been waiting weeks for them to look at it again. They claimed they had to wait until they had an opening for a whole day to look at it. That was supposed to be yesterday.

I just got a call from them and they said they towed it around their tiny parking lot and couldn't get the fuse to blow so they can't find the problem! Really? It takes about 1 minute to drive around their whole parking lot. Why did they need a whole day set aside for that?

They didn't even try to look at anything to find the short. The guy on the phone claimed they would have to start taking metal off and tearing things apart to find the short and Jayco wouldn't pay them for it unless they could say they knew what the problem is! Duh, it's in intermittent short. Why can't they tell Jayco that and Jayco can replace the camper or fix it?

So I have been conned into paying $20k+ for a camper that Jayco can't build correctly in the first place and won't fix. I can't use this camper except during the day. What good is that?

If I bought a car and it had these problems the dealer and manufacturer would bend over backwards to make things right. Apparently Jayco could care less and obviously the dealer doesn't care.

With this kind of junk Jayco builds and they won't fix, why does anyone on these forums claim Jayco takes care of any problems they have had? Is it all lies?

At this point I am filing complaints with the BBB, state attorney general and the US attorney general.

It is obvious Jayco doesn't care about the quality of their product and according to the dealer, Jayco doesn't care about fixing anything.

What else can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, Jayco has sent me surveys about the problems and although I have filled them out and sent them back they have NEVER tried to contact me or do anything to make things right. They truly don't care.
watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #2

Have you contacted Jayco directly?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

Prepare to get slammed by the kool aid drinkers on here. That's what you do. I understand you are just venting.

You camper is under warranty and if things aren't being made right call Jayco customer service. They can address your concerns. Why would they call you? Many members have opted to have the unit repaired by the factory if the dealer can't resolve issues properly.

I do understand your frustration as when I bought our Northpoint it was unusable for several months due to improperly installed landing gear that caused the whole thing to collapse resulting in a host of problems.

You have legal rights and in the end if you must retain a lawyer that is what you will have to do but I encourage you to speak with Jayco customer service in a civil manner and I suspect all your concern will be addressed without any other escalation.

It worked for me. Yes I was really pi**** too, I get it, but I quickly learned hostility gets you nowhere.

Good Luck!
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
Hi,

It is obvious Jayco doesn't care about the quality of their product and according to the dealer, Jayco doesn't care about fixing anything.
You will find many threads where dealers have said the exact same thing only to find out, after the customer called JAYCO, the dealer was the problem all along.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #5

I too have found calling Jayco directly worthwhile.

JAYCO - 800-283-8267

"the overflows on the fresh water tanks completely draining the tanks while you drive" - My local CW dealer told me there is a factory approved fix for this problem. He went on to say that it is on their list of fixes that they don't even have to call the factory to get approval to do the fix. The kicker is though that you have to ask about it. The dealers are not suppose to advertise it, you have to ask. Reading your story it seems like you might not have a very good dealer. Again, call Jayco and give them a chance first before hiring lawyers and filing complaints.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Knauby, Thank you.

I was venting and am rightfully upset. If others on here think a person doesn't have a right to be upset when they shell out tens of thousands and are given junk instead of a quality product they can say whatever they want, they are wrong.

I will contact Jayco directly about this. I am very unimpressed so far though. Granted I have not dealt with them directly yet.

Why have the factory repair the unit when they can't build it right the first time????? Will they pay for the shipping back and forth? How can they repair it correctly at the factory if they can't build it right in the first place? That doesn't make sense to me.

I won't be hostile to Jayco when I call. I will give them a chance to do the right thing.

I will report back when I get in touch with Jayco. Thanks for your advice and help.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

What do I do now?

You do need to call Jayco. There seem to be a lot of not so great dealers out there....
Find another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #8

Calling. They are closed. I'll call in the morning.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #9

Dealer

It sounds like your dealer is the problem - my dealer would tell me that they can't get Jayco to approve a repair & I call Jayco and they say get it repaired and fax them the receipt and in about 2 weeks I have a check. Jayco has been very good about everything - the dealers not so much & the factory is AWSOME with the BIG STUFF that I would never trust to a minimum wage employee

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #10

These repair people are not electricians and that's what you need, someone that will go through the process of elimination to locate your problem. If it were me I would ask Jayco if I could have a certified electrician check my unit out.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. It seems the dealer is the problem from what everyone is saying. I'll talk to Jayco in the morning and feel from everyone's responses that they will get this taken care of for me.

Again thank you to everyone for your help.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman View Post
Hi,

I'm new here only having owned my Jayco for a year.

My 2017 26BH has been nothing but problems from the medicine cabinet falling off the wall to brakes not working to interior wall panels falling off, the tub not installed correctly, the overflows on the fresh water tanks completely draining the tanks while you drive so that you don't have any fresh water when you get to your destination and the marker lights shorting out and on and on.

The dealer told me the problem with the overflows on the tanks is a very common problem and they don't have a fix but that I could install ball valves on the overflows so they can't work while I drive! Jayco won't fix it.

The dealer did fix the tub and claimed there was nothing wrong with the brakes even though one wheel heats up so hot you can't touch it while the other three are cold.

I have been dealing with the dealer on the marker lights now for over a month. It is an intermittent short that blows the fuse and prevents me being able to drive at night.

I took it in about a month ago for this problem and they claimed they could not find a problem but they replaced the cord that plugs into the truck anyway, not sure why since they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. Maybe it made them feel better.

I picked it up and within blocks of the dealer the fuse blew again and I immediately returned to the dealer and talked with them. A mechanic was there and said it was most likely a wire that was bouncing and the insulation had been cut off because Jayco is known for stapling through wires and running wires through sharp metal openings that cut through the insulation and short like that. He said it is a very common problem with these products.

So they took it back in and I have been waiting weeks for them to look at it again. They claimed they had to wait until they had an opening for a whole day to look at it. That was supposed to be yesterday.

I just got a call from them and they said they towed it around their tiny parking lot and couldn't get the fuse to blow so they can't find the problem! Really? It takes about 1 minute to drive around their whole parking lot. Why did they need a whole day set aside for that?

They didn't even try to look at anything to find the short. The guy on the phone claimed they would have to start taking metal off and tearing things apart to find the short and Jayco wouldn't pay them for it unless they could say they knew what the problem is! Duh, it's in intermittent short. Why can't they tell Jayco that and Jayco can replace the camper or fix it?

So I have been conned into paying $20k+ for a camper that Jayco can't build correctly in the first place and won't fix. I can't use this camper except during the day. What good is that?

If I bought a car and it had these problems the dealer and manufacturer would bend over backwards to make things right. Apparently Jayco could care less and obviously the dealer doesn't care.

With this kind of junk Jayco builds and they won't fix, why does anyone on these forums claim Jayco takes care of any problems they have had? Is it all lies?

At this point I am filing complaints with the BBB, state attorney general and the US attorney general.

What else can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, Jayco has sent me surveys about the problems and although I have filled them out and sent them back they have NEVER tried to contact me or do anything to make things right. They truly don't care.

Just have to remember who your dealing with!Don't give up, its a wear down process.
Attached Thumbnails
RV Tech.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #13

Your signature says Boz, that wouldn't be Bozeman would it?

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #14

Wow! that answers a lot.

RV dealers must be hard pressed to find good help but then again if they paid the techs properly maybe they wouldn't have to run such a desperate ad.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Your signature says Boz, that wouldn't be Bozeman would it?
Yes. It's Bozeman.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #16

Are you dealing with Big Sky RV in Bozeman? That is where we got our 377. Our service there was top notch, a couple little things I have had issues, but everything was resolved, or will be when we take it in again.

When we had it in our drain hose vanished, tote, hose, elbow, everything. Chris in service sent us a new one.

I hope you get resolution on this soon.
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #17

Yes, it's Big Sky RV. I feel like I am getting the run around from them.

Called them again yesterday evening and talked with Kelsey (one of the managers?) and she claimed she would set up an appointment for me to meet with Chris and a tech and take the unit for a drive so they could see the short happen since they couldn't get it to happen dragging it around the tiny parking lot.

I got there at 9am for the appointment and Chris wasn't there!

3 of the techs walked me back in the shop and claimed they did everything they can to find it but without Jayco approving a lot of expensive work they couldn't really narrow it down. They also claimed Jayco won't supply them with wiring schematics and on and on they went about how Jyco won't this and that. They suggested I call Jayco and raise hell. They claimed maybe Jayco would then supply them with the diagram.

I called Jayco and the guy was very nice and said all they had to do was call the same exact number I called and give them the VIN and they would email the diagram.

After getting off the phone with Jayco I called Big Sky again and asked to talk with Chris and was told he was too busy!! but that if I left my name and number he would call me back. That was almost an hour ago and still no call back.

I don't know who is lying but am still not satisfied.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Call Jayco back with your VIN and you will have all schematics emailed to you in about 24 hours. Your dealer obviously isn't helping you out. Find another shop or better yet have Jayco find you another shop, they also help with that.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #19

Wow, that is not the service we have gotten from them. Chris has Wednesday off. I would call today and stay on hold, and get the schematics emailed if they will.
2 Beautiful Redheads, 1 Great Pyrenees, 3 cats (1 is great, 1 is great but hides a lot, and 1 is a crabby old man)
Always looking for new places to take photos.
Mdiwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #20

Just talked with Chris. He says he sent them an email. We'll see. I will call Jayco after lunch.