Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #21

I bought a 2016 26BH last year with the Elite package, $15,300. I took the RV One price to my local dealer, the RV One price was about $500 lower but I would have to drive 2 days to pick it up, I bought local.
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #22

Okay, the lowest we have been offered is $24,400 plus tax and license. Is that REALLY the best I can expect to pay being in Washington? It seems like so much more than what everyone else on here has paid. I understand some destination charge, but this seems like a lot. Thoughts?
CharlesandKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesandKaty View Post
Okay, the lowest we have been offered is $24,400 plus tax and license. Is that REALLY the best I can expect to pay being in Washington? It seems like so much more than what everyone else on here has paid. I understand some destination charge, but this seems like a lot. Thoughts?
Get a quote on the exact unit you are looking at from these guys, see if they can beat your price... Take their quote to your dealer if they can.

https://www.rvdirect.com/faq.php

At the end of the day, if you're happy with the purchase, that's really all that matters. I'm not a very good haggler myself so I just leverage dealers against each other. They don't need to know I'm not willing to drive to Indiana to pick up my camper.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The fact is some dealers will give a 35% discount while some will barely budge off MSRP, and others can be anywhere inbetween so the desired 30% off is by no means a standard but something to shoot for. So it pays to shop around and get multiple quotes. When trailer shopping 7 years ago I got a quote that was only 10% off and they would not take less, ended up buying elswhere for 30% off. Just bought another trailer, and got about 30% off that.
Yup. Not all dealers will match an online quote. I'm sure the OP could get the 30+% off list if they shop around, but that high a discount may not be found locally. Sometimes the absolute best price requires travel hundreds or even thousands of miles away. So a lot has to do with how far you're willing to travel to get the rock bottom price.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #25

Personally, I feel taking a quote from a wholesaler 1500 miles away to your local dealer and expecting them to beat it is a little unrealistic.

Certainly there are people who can and are willing to make a 3000 mile trip to pick up a trailer and if that's you by all means do it. But I certainly wouldn't advertise that to my local dealer and then expect them to put you at the top of the list when it's time for warranty or service. If that's the intention, I'd just keep quiet about it and go do it.

At some point and time you WILL need service.

Everyone wants to equate buying an RV like buying a car. While it's similar, at the same time it is a different animal. The dealer network is very small. In WA there are a handful of Jayco dealers. It's not like a Ford, Chevy, Dodge where they are everywhere and in many cases multiples in the same town.

Your buying a popular model, at the prime camping season. There are probably less than 20 of that model in the entire state. Unlike with a car, it takes weeks for a dealer to restock their inventory and their are people out there who will come in and want to buy now.... and are willing to pay a premium to get it. So again, unlike with a car there is little incentive to discount the units in stock that are extremely popular to the point that the margin is minimized...Also, it's not like a car carrier that can bring 10 in at a time.... RV's are towed here one at a time. It's takes time and costs real money to do that.

I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but that's how the economics of it work out.

Now, as fall rolls around that changes a bit.... as does a factory order that you are willing to wait 3-4 months to get.

In any event, I hope you get a trailer at a price that works for you and that you can enjoy it. I can also guarantee, that the day you buy one... you will find the same model cheaper...

If you haven't heard it already, buy your last trailer first.... I was a slow learner.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Personally, I feel taking a quote from a wholesaler 1500 miles away to your local dealer and expecting them to beat it is a little unrealistic.

Certainly there are people who can and are willing to make a 3000 mile trip to pick up a trailer and if that's you by all means do it. But I certainly wouldn't advertise that to my local dealer and then expect them to put you at the top of the list when it's time for warranty or service. If that's the intention, I'd just keep quiet about it and go do it.

At some point and time you WILL need service.

Everyone wants to equate buying an RV like buying a car. While it's similar, at the same time it is a different animal. The dealer network is very small. In WA there are a handful of Jayco dealers. It's not like a Ford, Chevy, Dodge where they are everywhere and in many cases multiples in the same town.

Your buying a popular model, at the prime camping season. There are probably less than 20 of that model in the entire state. Unlike with a car, it takes weeks for a dealer to restock their inventory and their are people out there who will come in and want to buy now.... and are willing to pay a premium to get it. So again, unlike with a car there is little incentive to discount the units in stock that are extremely popular to the point that the margin is minimized...Also, it's not like a car carrier that can bring 10 in at a time.... RV's are towed here one at a time. It's takes time and costs real money to do that.

I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but that's how the economics of it work out.

Now, as fall rolls around that changes a bit.... as does a factory order that you are willing to wait 3-4 months to get.

In any event, I hope you get a trailer at a price that works for you and that you can enjoy it. I can also guarantee, that the day you buy one... you will find the same model cheaper...

If you haven't heard it already, buy your last trailer first.... I was a slow learner.
Very wise words, thank you. I have no expectations of them meeting an RV One quote by any means. We have been through a variety of trailers from tent trailers, fiberglass (miss our Bigfoot!), aluminum sided and now to here. We are ready to find the trailer that will suit our family until the kids are grown. We keep going back and forth on this one and a Passport. For some reason, this time around just feels like such a big commitment. Hoping to make up our minds and bring home a trailer by weeks end.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #27

For what it's worth, I tried to buy at my local dealer but he wouldn't budge at all. He said it is what it is and wouldn't price match. I drove out of state 200 miles and saved over $10k.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Very wise words, thank you. I have no expectations of them meeting an RV One quote by any means. We have been through a variety of trailers from tent trailers, fiberglass (miss our Bigfoot!), aluminum sided and now to here. We are ready to find the trailer that will suit our family until the kids are grown. We keep going back and forth on this one and a Passport. For some reason, this time around just feels like such a big commitment. Hoping to make up our minds and bring home a trailer by weeks end.
I sent you a private message you may find helpful.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #29

Also keep in mind that while you may not have the time to travel 3000 miles to get a camper, there are shipping services that will transport them. For instance Uship. It is a trailer after all so it isn't that hard for a transporter to hitch it up to a truck and haul it across the country.

So maybe get that quote from 1500 miles away, then get a free estimate from U Ship and add that to the number. See how far it is off from the amount the dealer is willing to sell you it for.

While we got a better deal than this at the RV Show, my dealer has several 25BH campers for $23,995 before talking to them about price.

http://www.hilltopcamper.com/default...entory&sq=25bh
Old 05-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #30

Our new baby!

We did it! Here is our new trailer!

http://www.baydosrvs.com/2017-jay-feather-by-jayco-jay-feather-25bh-inventory.htm?id=1782890&in-stock=1
Old 05-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Congrats!!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
We bought ours in Sept for $19k. All factory options except the bike rack. Also, mine was built before the Goodyear tire option, trifold sofa option and I do not have exterior led marker and tail lights. I think that we got that price because they low balled us on our trade because they knew that they were going to recoup the money and then some. Our dealer was not pushy or over bearing by any means and we didn't really haggle at all. They had 3 in stock and all were different from each other and we got the one exactly how we wanted. I have noticed that this is becoming a popular model. Our dealer sold all 3 and have 6 either on the lot or on the way.

Congrats on your new trailer. I see you traded in my old 20BH .... good luck and my you have many years of great camping!

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
Congrats on your new trailer. I see you traded in my old 20BH .... good luck and my you have many years of great camping!
Thank you very much. We loved the 20bh it was just a little too small for us. We did continue to maintain and care for that camper just like you did and when it left us, it was just as clean and nice as it was after we got it. Now another family will be enjoying it. Such a great little camper. For old time sakes.....Click image for larger version

Name:	20160605_083327.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	31515

Old 05-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo303 View Post
Thank you very much. We loved the 20bh it was just a little too small for us. We did continue to maintain and care for that camper just like you did and when it left us, it was just as clean and nice as it was after we got it. Now another family will be enjoying it. Such a great little camper. For old time sakes.....Attachment 31515

We loved the 20BH, but like you said, it was very tight inside. We now have a Jayco Eagle 284BHBE which has tons of room. Bought it upstate because WES wouldn't deal on a price. Got about 32% of sticker price.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote