Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #21

Toilet chemicals

We use Blue Power. It is active enzymes that break the solids down. It smells like bubble gum but works great. So great in fact, that we use regular double ply toilet paper in the trailer. If we get a septic tank smell, which is very seldom, we drop in another pouch to solve the problem. Blue Power comes in liquid or pouch form and can be purchased at amazon, camping world, etc. if you move to Blue Power, follow the directions for use. On the initial use, you have to shock your holding tank with 2 pouches or treatments.
lrousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #22

A clean tank, with aqua-chem is the way to go. Really clean the tank like Camper Bob said
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #23

I use a product called Hammerhead. It is sold by Rejex which is finish protection I use. Hammerhead is used in aircraft, marine and RV's. It uses microbes, 2oz for a 40 gallon tank. It also works for your grey tank. We have been using Hammerhead for a coule of years and have been very happy with the results.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #24

All the RV chemicals are designed to do the same thing to control odor. Pick one and go with it. I replaced the black tank vent cap with a 360 Siphon Vent Cap and it has eliminated all odors from the system. It ventilates by pulling out nearly 100% of the gases. It's amazing.

https://www.lci1.com/360-siphon
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco Journey View Post
All the RV chemicals are designed to do the same thing to control odor. Pick one and go with it. I replaced the black tank vent cap with a 360 Siphon Vent Cap and it has eliminated all odors from the system. It ventilates by pulling out nearly 100% of the gases. It's amazing.

https://www.lci1.com/360-siphon
This is on my "short list" of mods. Will probably install before the end of the year.

But I'm sticking to my guns on changing treatments anyway. I discovered the other day that I still have borax and calgon from how I used to treat my tank. And I ALWAYS have Dawn around. Now I just have to remember to put the Borax in the camper before we leave!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisilija View Post
Dawn and PineSol for me. Never had a problem.
same here and use just Pinesol on the grey tank. Never had a problem.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #27
TJR

I discovered Tank Techs on the last trip south. Read the info on their website https://tanktechsrx.com This is a live bacteria digester. Put one cap full in your fresh tank and you will be dumping 40 gallons of the product. It is amazing. No odor.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #28

What ever is cheapest at Wal-Mart.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I discovered Tank Techs on the last trip south. Read the info on their website https://tanktechsrx.com This is a live bacteria digester. Put one cap full in your fresh tank and you will be dumping 40 gallons of the product. It is amazing. No odor.
Fresh tank?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #30

We switched to Happy Campers last year and so far we are happy :-) with it. We have found that if we do the recommended treatment then part way through the trip when we are getting just a little odor sprinkle some more in. What we like is it doesn't have a strong chemical smell that the last few we have used had.
Jeb-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #31

Black tank chemical

I use TST orange dissolvable pouches. AND... after the emptying the tank, also add some laundry detergent, and several 2 or 3 gallons of water.

We are never in the same spot more than 5 days, except when home, so an emptied tank with the above mixture while driving keeps the tank very clean.

Never had an odor or sensor problem doing this.

I've never tried the PineSol but plan to. I'd like to hear some comments on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Went to cabelas this past weekend. I usually get the TST treatment, but noticed the CampaChem. What do you guys use out there. Seems like the TST is a treatment where the CampaChem is more of a deodorant. Are they essentially the same thing?
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #32

I tried RV Digest It from recommendations on one of these threads. It lasted three days and the smell was so bad I had to dump the tanks and resort back to my TST Citrus Orange. Threw that stuff out.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #33

Happy camper
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
You put this in the fresh tank???

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #35

We use CampaChem...but with our first RV (used) a nurse told me to always put a cup of OdoBan in the black water tank with the CampaChem. She said they use it in nursing homes for the odor. We have never had a odor problem in 15 years RVing.
When we clean the tanks...we also use a flush sprayer down the toilet. It is a wand with sprayer ...put it down the toilet and run water till person on drain side tells you it is clean. My husband said he couldn't believe how much gunk came out when I did that...even after he had used the sprayer inside the tank.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #36

Yes, Aqua Chem liguid for us..and tank flush...
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #37

Happy Campers!! Even in the heat no poo smell. We even put a bit in our grey water to help out with grease.
RFoxUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFoxUSMC View Post
Happy Campers!! Even in the heat no poo smell. We even put a bit in our grey water to help out with grease.
Okay, I must be doing it wrong then. You're one of MANY who have had success with this product. It has been by far the worst thing I've ever used. I have to wonder what's your secret with this stuff? What am I doing wrong?

I follow the instructions exactly on the side of the bottle, and I've never owned a black tank that stunk so bad. I even give my tank at least 2 or 3 good flushes when I dump at a full hookup site (which is almost always). AND we use PLENTY of water in the black tank, mostly because we're almost always at a full-hookup site.

With TST Orange, it would eventually stink, but I could re-treat and it would be fine. With my own concoction of various household items like Calgon, Borax, Dawn, Pine Sol, etc I rarely got a stink at all, and if I did it was no worse than a slightly tainted scent of softener or cleaner, and that was after many days of use when the tank was getting full anyway. No such luck with Happy Campers... And I was REALLY excited to try this stuff when I got it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #39

Our dealer recommended and sells Kronen, Natural Safe. So far it’s working fine after one year in our new coach. We’re out about 2x a month, with one 14 day trip and one 7 day trip .
We use our black tank flush after each trip and then add about 8 gallons of water and a fresh treatment before driving home.
There is a small amount of smell while dumping if your nose is next to the valve. No problems with the tank sensors or gnats that others complain about.
The treatment is expensive and we’ve talked about switching to the self mix since it gets such great feedback.... maybe after we run out
D & Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #40

Perhaps since you are flushing so often the HC isn't having time to do its thing - you may have just flushed it out. I put the prescribed amount in the pooper with the water, mix and dump into bw tank. Every once in awhile I'll add a tad into the bw tank. I then dump bw when level is about 1/3. When trailer is sitting after dumping the bw tank, I'll put a toilet bowl full in bw tank for storage. Or - perhaps our diets are different
RFoxUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote