Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #1

What is this vent?

154BH. What is this white vent at the top? It's above the air conditioner but I don't know why this vent would be there. The aircon vents out of the side.

Anyone know what this long white vent is for?
Attached Thumbnails
trailer-vent2.jpg  
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Team

That's the upper vent for the refrigerator that allows heat from the back of it to escape.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That's the upper vent for the refrigerator that allows heat from the back of it to escape.
Yep, I have one just like it on my Skylark. It also attracts wasps. Mine was attached with plain steel screws that were rusting badly. I replaced them with the same size stainless screws so no more rust.

Many of the exterior screws on our trailer were steel and started rusting very soon after we brought the trailer home. I have replaced nearly all of them with stainless screws.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
Mine was attached with plain steel screws that were rusting badly. I replaced them with the same size stainless screws so no more rust.

Many of the exterior screws on our trailer were steel and started rusting very soon after we brought the trailer home. I have replaced nearly all of them with stainless screws.
X2
Old 08-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #5

That appears to be the same as mine on my 195RB with side (window type) air conditioner. It is the intake for the AC that then blows out the side fins. Under the plastic top you will find a hole down into the top of the AC cabinet in the RV. Mine had about a 1/2 inch mesh that might stop squirrels, but maybe not mice or bugs. I added a layer of aluminum screen wire to keep bugs out.
I put a square of Etearnabond over each screw head to keep water out and minimize rust.
Inside I pulled the trip wood from around the AC and cleaned up dead bugs and added some noise deaden-er self stick sheets to the sides to reduce noise.
Simply put, the air comes down through the vent into the box around the AC. Intakes on the sides which would normally stick out the window suck in the air and run it through the AC coils and blow it out the fins.

Your fridge is a short one and the intake and exits are the two black vents on the side right behind the fridge. On bigger campers with tall fridges the heat goes out the ceiling through the same type vent, hence the confusion on it's purpose.

If you have any fridge problems with not cooling pull both black vent covers off and inspect for problems, another big topic as very poorly made.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote