Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Question What is wrong with this underbelly?

I am looking at used travel trailers and saw a 2005 Jayco 27BH on craigslist for $7000. Summer is over and some people are selling cheap here.

Owner said he had it for a year and bought it from a dealer who had replaced the roof. The interior looks very nice. Outside it was a bit scuffed, but nothing surprising for a unit 10 years old.

Is it good or bad that the roof has been replaced?

Any idea why there is a hole in the underbelly? And the underbelly is bumpy?
My guess is they put on a new freshwater tank that is a bit too big.

Buy or Run?

toben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #2

OK, I'm new to TT camping but here's what I found so far this year. Aside from your tank drain being broken it looks like the grey water tank over flowed into the under belly. My daughters did this to mine and it looked like an upside down water bed. The guy in the next site helped me fix the situation on the spot but what he described it would have looked like if we didn't get rid of the water right away sounds exactly what that looks like. He called it a bladder as opposed to the old hard under belly but I don't think he actually meant bladder, just lack of a better word, I could be wrong.

A new roof is good in my opinion but probably means it leaked, Right? Good assumption I would think.
Anyway, Thought I'd give my opinion before the experienced guys and gals and see how I do.
Leo801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #3

If it were me, I would turn and not look back!! The roof being replaced is the first clue and the under side looking like that means that it has been full of water from somewhere. If the tank was replaced the fabric would have been replaced also IMOP. Good luck in your hunt.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Did you ask the owner what happened to the underbelly?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #5

The low point drain petcock is a cheap fix but like Leo801 said, it looks like the underbelly got wet from a leak of some sort. I wouldn't think that replacing the underbelly plastic would be hard or expensive but you would have to pull it down to check for damage underneath it and I'm sure the seller is not going to let you do that before you commit to buying it.

I also noticed what appears to be a metal gas line running down the frame rail. Jayco uses rubber line these days to make the run to the back of the TT for a grill connection. It looks like someone has replaced part of that run at some point.

Personally, I'd walk away from that TT.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #6

Too hard to tell what happened. I'd stay away as well though.

UPC
Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #7

That looks like the belly pan of the 3yo Keystone we traded in when we got our Jayco. The iron pipe was their way of doing a main line for the LP, and the belly was bumpy because of insulation, heating duct lines and water lines that made it bulge out in spots. It looked like that from day one.

It is a concern exactly why the belly looks like that, but I'd be more worried why the roof was replaced and if it was done as a preventative measure or, more likely as others have suggested, a leak.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Don't walk away from this RV, instead - RUN and never look back!
The worst thing to deal with in the RV world is any kind of water damage!

Save your self some grief down the road, and move on in your RV search, there are better fishes in the RV sea.
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote