Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

What Kind of Battery for 184BH

My new to me 2012 184 BH came without a battery. What type/kind do I need? I've read a lot about dual purpose vs. deep cycle and 12 volt vs. 6 volt. I am buying a 12 volt TV and really don't boondock for longer than 1 night. My power usage is minimal.

silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #2

6 volt golf car Wall Mart been doing that deal since 2006. No issues in Phoenix we only rent batteries. Mine very seldom make it 3 years!

bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverta16 View Post
My new to me 2012 184 BH came without a battery. What type/kind do I need? I've read a lot about dual purpose vs. deep cycle and 12 volt vs. 6 volt. I am buying a 12 volt TV and really don't boondock for longer than 1 night. My power usage is minimal.
Do you need heat on those nights without a hookup?
Do you have LED's?

Don
My Registry

[URL="https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/groups/44-rving+with+solar.html"]RVing with SOLAR [/URL
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

Mainly I travel instead of camp. Drive all day, hit a Walmart parking lot for an overnight stay. I do have a furnace. I also have a little buddy from my previous camper. I know furnaces eat power and I'm not sure it would last through a whole night. Don't have LED's currently. My truck does charge the battery when I drive.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

This is similar to how we use our 195RB. We usually spend a night or two in a rest area along the way. A couple seasons ago we just added a second Group 24 RV/Marine battery so we could run our 12v fans overnight to help stay cool without worrying about running the battery down. If it's too hot then the generator is running so we can use the A/C. On occasion we have also needed the furnace and have not had any issues with low battery as a result of running that overnight either.

I think the 184BH has a similar sized tongue configuration so you could probably do the same.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

You would probably be just fine with a Group 27 true deep cycle. For one night with the furnace on, and a few hours with a TV and LED lights.

The furnace fan will really consume a lot of power. I would also seriously switch out to LED lights. I figured all of our LED lights consumed the same amount as one of the old incandescent bulbs.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You would probably be just fine with a Group 27 true deep cycle. For one night with the furnace on, and a few hours with a TV and LED lights.

The furnace fan will really consume a lot of power. I would also seriously switch out to LED lights. I figured all of our LED lights consumed the same amount as one of the old incandescent bulbs.
I would agree with this. I was side-tracked after initially reading the post and neglected the part about there being NO battery. A single Group 27 true deep cycle would certainly work fine in this scenario. Also agree with switching to the LED lights where possible. Wouldn't have to do all of them, just the ones you use most frequently to begin with.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Ok went looking at batteries. Locally Walmart has 2 deep cycles that are group 24. The first one says it has a deep discharge feature, it's 660 CCA and 105 amp hours, it's $74. The next battery is a 1000 CCA and 135 amp hours and it's cheaper at $69, it doesn't say it has a deep discharge feature. Now I know I really don't need cranking amps for a camper, and it's my understanding this is what you call a dual purpose marine/rv battery, but would you buy the bigger battery based on the fact that it has more amp hours? What is the deep discharge?

Or should I go to my local boat store and find a true deep cycle only that isn't rated with cranking amps. My local boat guy had group 27's Interstate brand that were true deep cycles, just means I'd have to change my battery box as mine is for a group 24.

And later if I added a 2nd battery how do you wire 2 12 volts together?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

Go to another wally world store and get a 27 or 29 size deep cycle battery with a recent/current manufacture date (sticker on the top of case). The dual purpose batteries can be used either as a cranking battery or a deep cycle but you don't need the cranking power amps. The dual purpose battery will not last as long as the deep cycle battery if you regularly "drain" the battery overnight while traveling. The deep cycle battery means it was designed to be drained from use and will charge back up for a respectable length of time.

I use WM size 27 deep cycle batteries in my boat for the trolling motor, they are 3 yrs old, and hold a charge for all day fishing trips. Just charge them up asap after use for best service life.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
This is similar to how we use our 195RB. We usually spend a night or two in a rest area along the way. A couple seasons ago we just added a second Group 24 RV/Marine battery so we could run our 12v fans overnight to help stay cool without worrying about running the battery down. If it's too hot then the generator is running so we can use the A/C. On occasion we have also needed the furnace and have not had any issues with low battery as a result of running that overnight either.

I think the 184BH has a similar sized tongue configuration so you could probably do the same.
We just got a Jayco 195RB Baja and the manual says group 27 for the battery. I see you are using a group 24. Does it really matter what group we buy? We want 2 6volt instead of 12.

Nicarra is offline   Reply With Quote