Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Whatís the Simplest set up for inverter

Iím a first time owner. Iíve been trying to find the simplest way to install an inverter.

I do own a generator; however, I have read that there are many dry camping places where youíre not allow to have your generator running at night.

I want to install an inverter just run my Television, laptop and charging.

Whatís the simplest way to do it?

Iíve drawn this for your review

Click image for larger version

Name:	D9C66820-5698-4A7D-90E5-CA8E9A14BC69.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	37298

Is this the correct way to do it?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciate it

gilgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgrc View Post
Iím a first time owner. Iíve been trying to find the simplest way to install an inverter.

I do own a generator; however, I have read that there are many dry camping places where youíre not allow to have your generator running at night.

Simplest method is to put the inverter somewhere and plug the shore cord into it and turn on the inverter so power the trailer AC circuits. Just make sure to turn off the battery charger.

PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just run one or two lines from the inverter to your power panel. Then install a couple of two way switches in the circuit to a particular plug. L1 is your shore power feed to the switch and L2 is the inverter line to the switch. P contact is the particular plug.
I have done this on the Fridge plug and General plugs. Just by flipping the switch you can be either on the normal shore power or inverter power.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgrc View Post

Attachment 37298

Schematic looks good with one observation. Shouldn't have to run cables to both pos and neg terminals on both 12vdc batteries (assuming you do *not* have two 6vdc). The 12vdc batteries should already be paralleled. Should be ok just connecting to one positive terminal and one negative terminal. Exception: if you're running a high capacity inverter, say 1000 watts or larger, then paralleling larger gauge cables to both terminals on both batteries may be appropriate to supplement (or replace) the OEM cabling which is typically too small for high current levels.

As long as you don't have a really large TV, or don't plan to power several devices at one time, a 300 watt inverter should suffice; otherwise, you may want to use a 600 watt inverter. Highly suggest purchasing a pure sine wave (PSW) inverter. Cheaper MSW (modified sine wave) inverters may not power some TV's, laptops, and phone chargers correctly.

Before your install, need to determine how long the cable run will be from the batteries to the inverter. Longer run, larger inverter, require larger gauge cables. Shorter runs, smaller inverters can operate with smaller gauge cables.

Lastly, make sure you connect the inverter to the batteries with the correct polarity---negative to negative---positive to positive. You didn't annotate polarity on your schematic. Connecting with the wrong polarity can permanently damage some inverters.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Does anyone know of a weatherproof pure sine wave inverter on the market? It would be awesome to be able to mount one on the tongue up near the batteries and then run the shore power cord up to the tongue.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #6

Just buy one that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug near the tv. 300 watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Just buy one that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug near the tv. 300 watts

If you do this, keep in mind a 300 watt inverter, under a full 300 watt load, can pull 25-30 amps of 12vdc.

Most cigarette lighter plugs and the wire connected to the plug are only rated for about 8-10 amps which is roughly equivalent to a 100 watt inverter. If you do power a 300 watt inverter with a cigarette lighter plug, highly recommend keeping the load no higher than 100 watts.

Placing a 30 amp load on plugs/wiring rated for only 8-10 amps can heat up the plug and wire---creating a potential fire hazard. A trailer's fuse may or may not prevent the plug/wire from over-heating---all depends on what size fuse is used on that particular DC circuit.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #8

Good point. Maybe good to get a 100w then. If your just running a lcd or led tv it shouldnít be an issue

nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #9

We have a 1000 watt PSW inverter! Set it on the top of battery box and secured it with a rubber strap inside the storage compartment. Did not want it to get wet, to expensive.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
PSW 12=28=17.jpg  
bdreinv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #10

It is pretty simple. Just install an inverter as close to the batteries as possible. Keeps high cost battery cables to a minimum. run Romex wire from there under the floor to the the location where the breaker panel is. Remove the GFCI breaker (the outlets) from the main breaker. Hook the Romex wires to the GFCI breaker. And you are done. All outlets will be on inverter.

Personally, I prefer using a inverter/charger combo. When off shore power or gen set, it is an inverter. When on shore power or gen set, it is a multi phase charger for the batteries and passes the shore power or gen set AC right thru to what it is hooked up to, like the GFCI breaker, in the unit. It auto switches as needed. I just disconnect the stock converter from the main breaker and leave it. It does require two Romex wire lines... one output and one input.

Sounds complicated, but it is actually quite simple. Just a little time consuming to set it all up.

Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote