Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

What size of extension cord do you use?

What gauge and length of extension cord are you guys using to plug your trailer in while it's being stored in the driveway? I have a 15A outlet right beside my camper so a 10 foot cord is plenty. I've been using an outdoor rated cord meant for a vehicle block heater but have been considering it might not be thick enough for when we pre-cool our fridge, have a few lights on, watch a movie, and the battery charging.

I tried to find a 10 foot 10 gauge outdoor cord, but apparently those don't exist. Input?

On a second note, I suppose plugging my camper's 30A cord into a dog-bone adapter might work too and eliminate the need for an extension cord altogether...
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #2

I've run everything except the A/C on a 50' 16ga cord before without issue. This is while parked in the street in front of my house before or after a trip.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

As an electrician 16ga cord is too small. There is a thing called voltage drop. The longer the distance the more the voltage drop.You need a higher guage cord. You will screw things up with the voltage drop. JMHO
swburbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

JMHO X 2

Voltage Drop does funny things to sensitive electronic gadgets.

Marty
grayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swburbguy View Post
As an electrician 16ga cord is too small. There is a thing called voltage drop. The longer the distance the more the voltage drop.You need a higher guage cord. You will screw things up with the voltage drop. JMHO
Agree 100%

My answer to the OP's question is as short as possible and as big as possible. I've never heard of anybody having problems because the size or gauge of their extension cord was too big.

On the other hand, I have seen some cords with melted insulation or plugs because they were too small or excessively long.

I have IIRC a 25' 30 amp cord and a 50' 30 amp cord, both 10 gauge I believe. I hardly ever use the 50' and seldom use the 25' since the trailer cord is usually sufficient to reach the plug in.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

I get a kick out of people buying cords looking at price instead of capacity. 16-3 0-50Ft-10amps, over 50-7amps. 12-3 0-50FT 20 amps, over 50 15 amps. Bottom line spend the money be safe.
swburbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

Put a 30A single pole breaker in my garage/shop panel box,ran a few feet of 10/2 romex to a dedicated 30A rv box and plug the TT cord into it --- good to go,a/c and all.
Tanker Yanker 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Yanker 43 View Post
Put a 30A single pole breaker in my garage/shop panel box,ran a few feet of 10/2 romex to a dedicated 30A rv box and plug the TT cord into it --- good to go,a/c and all.
Did the same thing, and used a dogbone to plug my trailer's 50A plug into the dedicated 30A receptacle. Works great, no overheating, and can run the A/C.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

What size of extension cord do you use?

Hi Skybound,
I am an electrical contractor and my best advice would be to use a "dog bone" to plug the TT cord directly into the outlet. A couple of other things to consider would be to make sure the outlet is in good shape. The plug should fit snug and there should be a fair amount of resistance when you unplug a cord from the outlet. As outlets Age the spring tension of the contacts inside can weaken and this will lead to a poor connection and addition voltage drop along with heating problems. If this is an outdoor outlet it should also be a GFCI with an in-use (bubble) cover. This will allow you to plug in the dog none and still close the cover to keep the connection dry. Water in the outlet will deteriorate the contacts as well. Lastly you want to make sure that the ground on the outlet is good. Sorry that turned out to be a little longer than I intended😀
Florida Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #10

I use a 12 gauge cord that is 25 ft. It is connected to a 20 amp breaker. We never use AC or microwave when parked by the shop. We do use the carpet shampooer and vacuum cleaner.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #11

go to Walmart or Camping World and buy an RV heavy duty cord. It will have a 30A plug so you will need a 20A [you need one anyway] adapter. Why use anything else????
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #12

Thanks for everyone's input. Some great info on here.

I ended up buying Camco's 30-15amp dog bone adapter. Seemed like the best option and definitely makes sense after reading all the posts about voltage drop, etc. I had to take the dremmel tool and shave a bit of plastic off the outdoor housing of the plug since it had this rectangular ridge around the sockets.

It's all good now and I feel much better about it, and having the adapter along is always a good thing too.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I tried to find a 10 foot 10 gauge outdoor cord, but apparently those don't exist. Input?
To answer your original question (and sorry I'm in late on this....), like the Keebler Elves....your 10' 10 gauge outdoor cord DOES exist.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-10-Gauge-...item19d858e546

I purchased a heavy duty cord from this seller earlier in the season....happy with my purchase!

Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYhQqBQ+,Us7Spg~~60_57.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	9260
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #14

Just a thought but has anyone just gone to home Depot and bought a length of cable, a couple plug ends and just made their own?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #15

Quote:

I ended up buying Camco's 30-15amp dog bone adapter. Seemed like the best option and definitely makes sense after reading all the posts about voltage drop, etc. I had to take the dremmel tool and shave a bit of plastic off the outdoor housing of the plug since it had this rectangular ridge around the sockets.

It's all good now and I feel much better about it, and having the adapter along is always a good thing too.
This one?
Camco 55165 RV 15M/30F 12" PowerGrip Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Handle
http://amzn.com/B000BUU5YA
Sic 'em Bears!
SoTexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:

Do you (or anyone) have a specific part number? I need to get one ASAP, but there are so many to choose from.
Sic 'em Bears!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #17

Quote:

Can you provide an item number?
Sic 'em Bears!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobedoob View Post
Just a thought but has anyone just gone to home Depot and bought a length of cable, a couple plug ends and just made their own?
I've made several cords that way.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #19

This is the one I bought. I didn't get it from this store in the link, but it's the same thing.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=10881608

Looks like the part number is 55163
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #20

If you are plugged into a 15A outlet, there's no need to use a 10ga cord. Unless some jack leg electrician installed the outlet incorrectly, it it going to be ,limited by the C/B to 15A. A 14ga cord will be fine.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote