Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2023, 07:50 PM   #1

What to check during warranty period for a new (used) rv purchase?

I will take possession this week of a 2021 195RB trailer with a compact fridge and overhead air conditioner. The dealer gives a generous 30 day warranty, including all major systems, and it is important to check the systems and functions to be able to ask for repairs while coverage is active.

I would appreciate any tips, even basic ones, on what to look for. Obvious things come to mind:

... test electrical outlets, test hot & cold water and pressures, test furnace, trailer brake function with Chevy Colorado brake controller, awning function...

but someone with more experience, knowledge with these rv systems would know to look for other things...

For example, I don't know how long the compact fridge (I think its Dometic) should take to come to proper temps on 12 volts (I believe it uses that) as well as on propane; how long the 13.5 overhead air con should take to cool, how to test the co2 detector... is there a smoke detector with an expiry date...?

So many systems to learn about...
Whistleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:18 PM   #2

Any good dealer "SHOULD" have the rig plugged in and connected to water with the fridge etc working when you do your PDI with one of their technicians before you even connect it to your tow vehicle.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:00 PM   #3

The questions regarding your refrigerator and A/C have much to do with where & when you are camping. If camping during mild winter or spring-like conditions, the refrigerator (in good working order) should begin cooling down within an hour or so and reach proper temps in about 6 hours (mine does). But during hot summer temps that's an entirely different story.

While camping in the shade but with ambiant outside temps well over 100 degrees, the refrigerator never reached the desired temp but kept food cool enough to keep from spoiling. The A/C (in perfect operating order), barely put a dent in the trailer heat level so we just shut it off.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 PM   #4

Tank level sensors. They will eventually pack it in anyway but it would be nice to have them while you get used to the trailer so at least you'll have a good idea how long the tanks will last.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistleroo View Post
snip.......The dealer gives a generous 30 day warranty, including all major systems, and it is important to check the systems and functions to be able to ask for repairs while coverage is active.......snip
A detailed PDI prior to towing the TT off the RV dealer's lot is important. Also, in the event you won't be setting-up in a campground during the 30 warranty period, I would also plan on a "camp driveway" simulation check (weather permitting).

The JOF link below will provide you with a detailed PDI as a reference:

Reference Post #1: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-5.html

Just a few thoughts......

* Check for compromised exterior seams/joints (caulking, separations, fiberglass delamination, door seals, etc.).
* Check interior walls/ceiling, inside cabinets, under bed, mattress, etc., for moisture intrusion (stains, etc.).
* Check suspension, A-frame, and underbelly integrity.
* Remove plastic A/C ceiling cover and confirm (4) main mounting bolts are tightened for proper rubber seal and A/C placement.
* Condition of tires (including spare).
* Does dealer have prior warranty claim/service history on TT?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:38 AM   #6

Tank level sensors. Useless on ours.
Did it matter? No. Never and we out a lot of nights and over 100 k miles on our 195

Do go under the unit and check the brake wiring
Used to be Jayco ran it over the frame so it would abrade and break.
We had that happen three times but our rig saw a lot of rough roads
Fibally a shop rerouted the wiring and the last 10,000 mile trip to California from Maine there were no issues
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
The questions regarding your refrigerator and A/C have much to do with where & when you are camping. If camping during mild winter or spring-like conditions, the refrigerator (in good working order) should begin cooling down within an hour or so and reach proper temps in about 6 hours (mine does). But during hot summer temps that's an entirely different story.

While camping in the shade but with ambiant outside temps well over 100 degrees, the refrigerator never reached the desired temp but kept food cool enough to keep from spoiling. The A/C (in perfect operating order), barely put a dent in the trailer heat level so we just shut it off.
Randel - do you have the 4, 7, or 10 cubic feet fridge? Is it a compact Dometic unit?
Old 02-08-2023, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
Tank level sensors. They will eventually pack it in anyway but it would be nice to have them while you get used to the trailer so at least you'll have a good idea how long the tanks will last.
Right! Tank sensors. Obvious but I would have missed checking it. Thank you Fistep.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
A detailed PDI prior to towing the TT off the RV dealer's lot is important. Also, in the event you won't be setting-up in a campground during the 30 warranty period, I would also plan on a "camp driveway" simulation check (weather permitting).

The JOF link below will provide you with a detailed PDI as a reference:

Reference Post #1: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...d-36094-5.html

Just a few thoughts......

* Check for compromised exterior seams/joints (caulking, separations, fiberglass delamination, door seals, etc.).
* Check interior walls/ceiling, inside cabinets, under bed, mattress, etc., for moisture intrusion (stains, etc.).
* Check suspension, A-frame, and underbelly integrity.
* Remove plastic A/C ceiling cover and confirm (4) main mounting bolts are tightened for proper rubber seal and A/C placement.
* Condition of tires (including spare).
* Does dealer have prior warranty claim/service history on TT?

Bob
Excellent Bob. Do you think this all applies whether you buy new or used? My dealer is giving a 30 day warranty on a 2021 Jayco 195RB, so it is used, but I assume I can ask for any problem I find during walk through to be fixed.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Randel - do you have the 4, 7, or 10 cubic feet fridge? Is it a compact Dometic unit?
I have an 8 cubic foot "Norcold" propane/electric refrigerator.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Tank level sensors. Useless on ours.
Did it matter? No. Never and we out a lot of nights and over 100 k miles on our 195

Do go under the unit and check the brake wiring
Used to be Jayco ran it over the frame so it would abrade and break.
We had that happen three times but our rig saw a lot of rough roads
Fibally a shop rerouted the wiring and the last 10,000 mile trip to California from Maine there were no issues
Kim - can I find the brake wiring by lying on my back, under the trailer, following the wiring from the Colorado tow vehicle 7 oin connector on back to whever it may lead?
Old 02-08-2023, 09:34 PM   #12

Depending on where the trailer is, putting a sprinkler or hose onto the roof to check for leaks is a must. It's been raining so hard here that any trailer outside would have presented any leaks but you may be in Phoenix.

I had my trailer in for warranty work today and there was an Airstream sitting on the lot getting a heavy dousing from a sprinkler.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... I assume I can ask for any problem I find during walk through to be fixed.
Absolutely.., but if it's a minor issue you may want to consider addressing it yourself.

Also, the PDI may identify a product and/or safety issue prior to towing the TT off the dealership lot.

Typically PDI's are associated with a "new" RV purchase, but since you are purchasing a used (almost new) TT from a RV dealership that "includes" a 30 day warranty, IMO asking for the dealership to participate in a PDI would be appropriate.

If you have a friend that is familiar with RV systems & camping, have them tag along for the PDI.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:35 AM   #14

If you can set the trailer up at home add water to the tank and then hook up the city water.
Turn on the water heater and let it heat up to temp.
Check the faucets on city water and pump.
Check for leaks where ever you can see water lines/fittings.
Take a shower or stand in the tub placing your feet all over the tub floor with water running.After check for leaks inside and under the trailer.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:36 AM   #15

Check the following:
1. Every electrical outlet to insure they have power
2. Water pump works and shuts off when full pressure is reached.
3. A/C cools and heats if it is a heat pump thermostat works.
4. Furnace works from thermostat
5. Fridge works
6. All exterior lights, stop and turn lights work
8. Doors hinges and lock work
9. Stabilizers work
10 dump valves work and dump cap is present
11. City water connection works also water tank fill works and dirt cap is present.
12. Exterior for rusted and/or missing screws
13. Tires in good condition and properly inflated.
14. Brake breakaway switch to see that it works, this also checks the brakes. You may need to connect and pull the trailer to check the brakes.
15. Propane system works, including the stove and any aux connections.
16. Awning (if present) works all the way in and out.
17. Radio, TV etc works.
18. Sink drains for leaks.
19. Shower, faucets to insure they hold pressure and are drip free. Don't forget the outside shower.
20. Fenders for damage or loose parts.
21. Shore power cord for cuts, worn spots or burn marks on metal prongs.
22. Trailer umbilical for proper function, cuts or damage.
23. Window for cracks and proper operation.
25. Check outside antenna for damage and proper operation.
26. Check roof for damage and roof mounted A/C covers are secured and undamaged.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #16

Great question! Literally, every single thing! I’m on my third RV all were brand new if I ever do buy a new one again, I will certainly hire an RV inspector. I recommend you do the same. It may be money well spent.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:11 PM   #17

Warranty

Is the manufacturer warranty still valid. We have a 2021 195 rb that we purchased brand new and it has a 2 and 3 year manufacturer warranty from Jayco.
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote