Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #11

I'm yet to find anyone who will fill a tank that's still on the camper, and the trucks that come around the parks are more expensive. But if you have the small, or barbeque tank or tanks, it might be worth the convenience of not having to drive somewhere.

As for fill levels of tanks, 80 to 85% is the proper level according to the companies we've had fill our 500 gallon tank here at home.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #12

Since propane tanks are part of your camping experience you will find most campgrounds can direct to where you can them re-filled.

I normally don't have a propane problem but always start looking for re-fill places as we start getting closer to our campground.

Here in out little town of King George VA there are at least 4-5 places we can go to here haha...

I suspect my 2008 purchase of my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper is getting close to be outdated... Need to check on that I reckon...

Since you are new to this you may want to lock your propane tanks if you have the outside mounts on the trailer tongue area. we use a standard long shank padlock like shown here and lock the twist handle... This is to just keep the honest folks more honest.

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
Site Team

You didn't mention the size but it is easier and less expensive to take to a propane seller and just have it refilled.

You didn't mention if you have two tanks and what type regulator you have.

I you have one tank, just remove it. If you have two tanks place the changeover switch to the tank NOT being filled. Then you can remove the empty and have it refilled. The changeover valve will not let the other tank leak.

Sometimes, in a large campground, they will have a refill service truck. I avoid these because they usually charge to much. Many cg's have a refill service that you can take the tank to them. That is always the least expensive method.

Tank exchange locations are convenient, but will always be more expensive. I have never seen anything but 20# tanks at exchange locations.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

double post ???
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
Site Team

I remove the 30lb tanks and take them to a dealer here such as Suburban Propane or a gas station that also fills tanks. I also have 20lb tanks for outdoor cooking etc that I get refilled, it is a better deal then the exchange tanks.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #16

I try not to let our tanks go less than 1/2 full. I just pull them out and replace with 2 full ones. I use the 1/2 full ones in our BBQ and patio heater.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
I try not to let our tanks go less than 1/2 full.
Good plan, one my DW urged me in the strongest possible terms, and they say, when ours ran dry this February on our way north when the temp in the camper dropped into the low 40s as the outside temp dropped to 10. But digging through the TV for the barbeque tank and hooking it up at 4 in the a.m.
convinced her to let me back inside.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #18

Propane tanks have to be re-certified every 10 years based on the manufacturing date stamped on the tank. Do yourself a favor and keep those shiny, new tanks and have them refilled rather than swap them out for an older thank that has been beat up.

I used to take my tanks to a place that charged a flat rate to refill the tanks and learned from this forum that it was the more expensive route to go. Take your empty or partially empty tank(s) to a place that charges you by the pound and have them refilled. Many Tractor Supply stores offer propane refills by the pound so that may be a place to check first.

One of my 30 lbs tanks lasted me well over a year and I used it to run my propane smoker for several hours. You will get the hang of when you need to refill but it's not as often as you would expect.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #19

We got ours filled (for the Jayco 25RKS) at Pilot and Flying J, as they are convenient when traveling, and you get a 5 cents per gallon discount with your Good Sam membership card.

We still use them now that we switched to a motorhome.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Propane tanks have to be re-certified every 10 years based on the manufacturing date stamped on the tank.
A small correction.

It is 12 years from the date of manufacture and then 10 year max for subsequent re-certifications.

Other factors can also affect eligibility. Based only upon visual inspection tanks are subject to rejection for refill if they show significant rust, physical damage, or other problems no matter how shiny they may be otherwise.

vic

VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane tank