Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

What TV to get for Travel Trailer

We have a 2017 Jay Flight SLX 245 RLSW Travel Trailer. We are wanting to buy a TV for it. We would like a combo TV and DVD player. It looks like we can fit a 32" in the spot for it inside the trailer. Any ideas on what is the best kind for our trailer? Do we need to get a 12 Volt? Can we just get a regular high definition TV? What is the difference between the two?
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

As long as you are plugged in to shore power, any old TV will work.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

We bought 32" HD TV on sale at Wal-Mart (my wife found a one day deal for under $100) and then I added our Blu-Ray DVD player from home (so we could upgrade the one at the house). It is a household current (110-120 volt) TV that plugs into a nearby outlet in the TT where we have the TV situated.

I've read here that there isn't much out there when it comes to 12 volt TV/DVD options. We avoided the 12 volt TV with a regular TV. More choices.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
We have a 2017 Jay Flight SLX 245 RLSW Travel Trailer. We are wanting to buy a TV for it. We would like a combo TV and DVD player. It looks like we can fit a 32" in the spot for it inside the trailer. Any ideas on what is the best kind for our trailer? Do we need to get a 12 Volt? Can we just get a regular high definition TV? What is the difference between the two?
It depends on how you use the trailer. My trailer is parked about 300ft away from the house so I have two 6 volt (215 a-hr) batteries and a solar panel to keep it charged. When we added a TV/DVD combo to the bedroom I went with a 12 volt that will run on both battery or shore power. It draws 3 amps dc so If I want to watch it I can.

If the only time you use your trailer is when connected to shore power you will be money ahead to buy an 120 volt ac tv. They are a little cheaper.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. This really helps. We probably won't watch much tv but we'd like to have it just in case. I really want a tv/dvd combo because I don't want the added dvd player. I want to save as much space as I can. I also think we don't want to mount it. I'm a little worried about doing that.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
Thanks for the info. This really helps. We probably won't watch much tv but we'd like to have it just in case. I really want a tv/dvd combo because I don't want the added dvd player. I want to save as much space as I can. I also think we don't want to mount it. I'm a little worried about doing that.
We bought an ordinary 32" tv for our 26RLS. I didn't fancy mounting it either given the lack of any support behind the tv recess, so I just store it under the bedcovers while travelling and put it back up in the recess once we're at the site. Takes 2 minutes to do.
Chrismc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

My needs for HDTV were for being OFF-ROAD back on the trails somewhere. We are using a BATWING antenna up about ten feet or so mounted on a easy-up PVC pole to the side of my trailer...

We pickup something everywhere we go...

I had a 24-inch VIZIO we got years ago and I don't know if they still have a 24-inch HDTV any more or not. I noticed WAKMART have a bunch of so called smart TVs rather cheap that has outside TV antenna tuners built-in. The smart TV's like to use a TV BOX for a cable TV setup and will use a HDMI signal to watch TV where any monitor that has HDMI inputs will work...

I got a PHILLIPS BRAND here recently from WALMART to replace my Computer 22-inch monitor that failed. Only cost $88 on sale at WALMART. Works great in the HDMI mode with my computer setup... Also gets Great picture and sound using my CABLE TV BOX using HDMI cable. Also picks up HDTV TV Signals from my outside roof mounted HDTV antenna setup here in my house for Washington DC Standard Broadcast channels some 50 miles north of here... I get some 50 channels here using the outside antenna.

Should work just fine with my BATWING antenna on the side of the OFF-ROAD camper trailer like my VIZIO did...

I have a metal desk top mount for this TV monitor which has the four screws on the back with the standard mounting VESA screws... When I use it in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer I use a couple of those hand grips to secure the TV SET mounting legs to the top of table in the trailer... My VIZIO never fell off going up and down the back roads...

Been doing this for HDTV a long time now since 2008 just finally lost the use of 24-inch VIZIO TV that finally failed on me.

This should work like gangbusters at the Camp Ground CABLE TV hookups as it has a built-in TV Tuners for both DIGITAL and ANALOG sinals...

When you first turn the PHILLIPS ON you can go to the setup page that will scan for new TV channels for both DIGITAL and ANALOG modes... Great small TV for $88 bucks... (SO FAR at any rate)

Google Image

This is what my easy-up HDTV antenna looks like on the side of my POPUP...

Roy's photo

Being in a POPUP trailer an HDTV is a must have item to keep tabs on the WX Conditions. You sure don't want to get caught with high winds all around you. Most all locations have a 24/7 live RADAR channel going...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote