Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2019, 03:36 AM   #1

What type of sealent for roof

I have a new to us, 2011 Feather Sport X20E. While on our first trip to the Smoky Mountains last week, in a monsoon I noticed a leak. I want to seal the roof now as a pre-caution to any additional damage. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm a DIY person, so will do the work myself, but have heard many talk about not using Flex Seal (being new to campers, it was my 1st thought).
Thanks
New to us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #2

I have a class C I used Dicor EPDM rubber roof coating, first I checked all caulked seams removed any old Dicor sealant and re caulked then I took eternabond tape and went around all outside edge of roof and also did all the roof vent areas. It is a big job had to wrap the RV walls in plastic clean the roof with the Dawn then used the activator that you have to buy separate then applied the coating it was like a new roof. The hardest part was the prep.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

Try the search function in the gold bar above. Use Etearnabond, roof and Dicor search terms and you will see hundreds of posts with suggestions of how to seal roof leaks.

Really make sure you do a good job as the frame of the RV is wood and once it rots it is a big job to tear it apart and fix it.

I agree, prep work, getting off the old Dicor and cleaning the surface so the Etearnabond and new Dicor will stick correctly is ABSOLUTELY needed or you have wasted your time.

Stopgap is to get up there and using a fingernail or plastic tool try to life up the Dicor. Any loose spot will leak. And there can be a lot more than one. Go over every inch looking for all the trouble spots.

Again, read some posts via the search to give yourself some basic knowledge and watch some youtubes before you start applying products.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

New self leveling lap sealant can be applied over old, cracked sealant so long as it’s been cleaned with mineral spirits. It’s pretty easy actually. I do it whenever I see some deeper looking cracks forming.
ShawnR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flex seal, roof leak, roof type