Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

What type of thermostat?

First I would like to thank all for their replies to the "queen" size bed length in my soon to be delivered 26bh. Now onto the thermostat: I have watched a number of videos for both the 264bh and the 26bh and see different styles of thermostat for the a/c and heat. I have a real aversion to the non-digital type of thermostat and hope that my new tt has a digital type. Does anyone know what the 2019's are coming off the line with?
THMakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #2

My 2018 29RKS has a crappy Dometic digital thermostat with the crappy little blocks of foam in the cover,hasn't worked since day 1.Works fine with cover off but not with the cover on.Will be replacing it next year,along with the Thetford porcelain terlet.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #3

Our 2018 WhiteHawk came with the digital Dometic t-stat. Very simple, just a few touches and works great. Way better than the Coleman manual stat, and less temperature swing.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #4

Is your trailer a Jay Flight? If so, unless Jayco has changed, you will find a analog type thermostat on the wall.

My 2017 Jay Flight 23RB came with the non digital Coleman-Mach thermostat. I quickly replaced it with a Coleman-Mach digital thermostat. The new thermostat keeps the temperature within a 2 degree range. On heat if 78 is set, when the temperature falls to 77 degrees, the furnace kicks on. When the temperature gets to 79, the furnace cuts off.

In the past, my trailers only had heat on the thermostat. In those cases I just replaced with an inexpensive Honeywell thermostat from a big box store.

However, my current trailer has central heating and A/C. Too many wires to have to deal with if attaching a residential type thermostat. So I paid the extra money and got a Coleman-Mach digital thermostat. This way, it was just a straight swap, wire for wire, from the non-digital to digital thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THMakin View Post
First I would like to thank all for their replies to the "queen" size bed length in my soon to be delivered 26bh. Now onto the thermostat: I have watched a number of videos for both the 264bh and the 26bh and see different styles of thermostat for the a/c and heat. I have a real aversion to the non-digital type of thermostat and hope that my new tt has a digital type. Does anyone know what the 2019's are coming off the line with?

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:51 AM   #5

Thank you one and all

I'm pretty sure that my new 26bh will come with the analog thermostat and equally sure that will be one of the first things I replace. I just need to wait and see the model/part number of the existing thermostat so that I can order the direct replacement. Thanks again!
THMakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #6

My 2019 28BHS came with the Dometic digital thermostat as well and it works great so far.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

What type of thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

My 2017 Jay Flight 23RB came with the non digital Coleman-Mach thermostat. I quickly replaced it with a Coleman-Mach digital thermostat. The new thermostat keeps the temperature within a 2 degree range. On heat if 78 is set, when the temperature falls to 77 degrees, the furnace kicks on. When the temperature gets to 79, the furnace cuts off.

We did the same. Be thankful you have a Coleman AC unit. I believe they switched to dometic units on the current models, which from what I’ve been reading, can be problematic with freezing up and what not.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #9

My digital thermostat was different from his. Mine was what he was expecting, apparently. I just took a wire from the old thermostat and connected to the same place on the new thermostat. And I continued to do that until all the wires were attached.

Pretty much easy as 1-2-3.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THMakin View Post
I put in a Coleman digital replacement thermostat, it seems to work great! It was a direct replacement. We had no trouble with it running the A/C this summer when we were plugged in. It worked on the heater over the last week, even when it got to 8 yes 8 degrees last Sunday night about 10 miles south of Chemult OR. This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-83303...at+heat%2Fcool
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #11

What thermostat will out replace it with?
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #12

My 2018 Jayflight SLX 8 267BHSW has a digital thermostat with a little blue screen and it sucks. You barely touch the up and down arrow things and it switches unpredictably from Fahrenheit to Celsius, and then you have to keep tapping it to try to get it back to Fahrenheit but that just keeps changing the temp setting so that it's way off from what you intended, and then you have to touch it ever so slightly very slowly to get the setting adjusted one slow degree at a time, then it switches to Celsius again, etc. etc. I wish I had an old analog one. Anyone want to trade?
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #13

What I have found so far about thermostats is that the RV system is 12 volt and residential's are 24 volt. The residential only have a single-speed fan, RV ones have a two-speed fan.
I am looking to put in a Z-wave system to monitor the RV while we are away because our dogs will be with us. So far, I have not found a thermostat that will work.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:53 AM   #14

Jayco knows that there are some faulty digital stats going out. When we took delivery of our TT, the dealer warned us about it and said to request a new stat from them if our's was a defective one.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote