Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
BJR

Wheel alignments

Hi guys,
We have a 2016 287BHSW (similar to a 28BHBE) and I've noticed that the tires are at different camber angles. The rear axle wheels do not look plumb - definitely not the same as the front axles. Can this be corrected with an alignment or is something more serious going on? Is it how we have the camper loaded? There is one area where we have everything heavy stored.

Also, I have grease on the wheel on the rear passenger side. I figured they just over filled it at the factory but I'm not sure if this is a symptom.

What are your thoughts?

TIA,
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1945.jpg   DSC_1947.jpg   DSC_1950.jpg  
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

First question is when you stopped had you been in a turn which it looks like on your driveway
Old 06-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

If so hook back up and pull forward straight and the wheels will correct then back up straight ... the axles are designed to give that way when in a turn with tandem axles then when you get straightened out they go back to normal position ... I always pull forward and then finish backing straight before I unhook so that twist isn't on mine
Old 06-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
First question is when you stopped had you been in a turn which it looks like on your driveway
I was backing in relatively straight there but it does get worse (like really obvious) when I'm turning. That's how I noticed it - in the mirror when turning so I could see the wheels on the driver's side.

Edit: I will pay more attention when I'm going in a straight line. I've had tandem axles before but it's more pronounced on this trailer!
Old 06-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

That is common when maneuvering due to side loads on the tires. If you have room, try pulling the trailer straight ahead a truck length or two and then straight back. See if that equalizes things.

Grease on the backside of the tire could mean a seal failure and possibly grease on the brakes. There shouldn't be grease on the frontside either, but it probably isn't a serious problem. Have you cleaned it off to see if it happens again?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
bap

Jack it up and make sure the wheel bearings are tight. If they are loose, it would cause the wheel to lean and the seal to leak grease.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

There is information in the Dexter Complete Service Manual, available in the Manuals section of this forum, about how to adjust Dexter bearings. If the bearings are Dexter standard tapered bearings, they are not supposed to be "tight". The nut should be free to move slightly - in other words, NOT tight. This is on page 56 of the aforementioned manual.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
There is information in the Dexter Complete Service Manual, available in the Manuals section of this forum, about how to adjust Dexter bearings. If the bearings are Dexter standard tapered bearings, they are not supposed to be "tight". The nut should be free to move slightly - in other words, NOT tight. This is on page 56 of the aforementioned manual.
That was going to be my next question.

I will try this tonight.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

My axles require a torque of 50 ft lbs to seat the bearings then you back it off until the castle nut spins freely. Mine are Dexter with EZ Lube hub.
jjvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
BJR

I did some homework tonight. I jacked up the rear driver's side wheel and was able to feel a slight amount of play when I grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and rocked back and forth. There was no play in the 9 and 3 direction.

Secondly, I tried the same with the front axle and was not able to detect any play.

Does this sound right or am I headed in for service? I considered checking the preload on the bearing but convinced myself there would be play in both directions rather than just one.

On a side note, my axle was made by Lippert Components.

Thoughts? (I did not look at the greasy wheel, yet)

Edit: Original post should say "There is NOT one area where we have everything heavy stored."

Thanks,
Bryan