Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

Wheel Bearing Re-Pack Whitehawk TT

All-

I am going to repack my wheel bearings on my 2015 Whitehawk 28DSBH this weekend. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the Whitehawk have a cotter pin holding the wheel nut in place? If so, what size?
2. What type of grease do you use?
3. Would you have the part number of the bearing cup? Is the cup something you can purchase at your local Autozone?

I called Camping World and they said they didn't have the part number to the cup. How can this be?

I have Dexture EZ Lube Axles

Thanks!
gradertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradertb View Post
All-

I am going to repack my wheel bearings on my 2015 Whitehawk 28DSBH this weekend. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the Whitehawk have a cotter pin holding the wheel nut in place? If so, what size? No cotter pin in mine, I have some funny nut retainer
2. What type of grease do you use? I just use a bucket of red high temp bearing grease, there are lots of choices
3. Would you have the part number of the bearing cup? Is the cup something you can purchase at your local Autozone? I removed the seal, and brought it to NAPA, and they were able to cross reference it. When I punched it out, I was careful not to damage the numbers.

I called Camping World and they said they didn't have the part number to the cup. How can this be?

Thanks!
good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

Most newer maybe since 2015 models uses a spindle nut retainer, no more cotter pin, pry it off gently as it will bend. Watch this Dexter video it may give you some tips. https://youtu.be/GnH-h3W9XvI

Make sure to use the correct grease, its listed in the Dexter book in your owners packet. You don't want to cross blend grease.

Not a good idea to just replace the cup, it has formed a wear pattern from the existing bearing, always replace in sets.

If you want to find the correct bearing/cup crawl under your trailer and take a picture of the label on the axle. Then you can go to Dexters website and locate that axle and all available parts. I used the Dexter numbers and purchased Timken bearing sets on Amazon for a bit more than the China version and the Timken is made in USA
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

Nice video....

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

The nut retainer is because of the ez-lube hubs (zerk in the center of the spindle).
When you mention “bearing cup” I assume you are talking about the grease seal. The local auto parts can probably match it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #6

No cup/race same thing, not the seal
Old 03-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #7

I just watched the video, which was quite helpful. When the bearings are repacked am I supposed to fill the cavity with grease? The last time I did this I had a friend who is way more mechanically inclined than myself help me. We did everything it said in the video except when done we filled the cavity with grease and when the assembly was installed pumped grease with the zert until we saw some come out of the front.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
I just watched the video, which was quite helpful. When the bearings are repacked am I supposed to fill the cavity with grease? The last time I did this I had a friend who is way more mechanically inclined than myself help me. We did everything it said in the video except when done we filled the cavity with grease and when the assembly was installed pumped grease with the zert until we saw some come out of the front.
All you need to do is what the video shows. No reason to fill the hub with grease or pump it full once its back together, if you do you risk blowing the rear seal and getting grease all over the brakes. If you do this at the end of each season you will get many years of service from those bearings.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
There's some debate about ez-lube axles. When you pump the grease in, cross your fingers no grease blows past the rear seal. It's not supposed to, but it does happen. If it does, the excess grease may eventually coat your brake shoes in grease---not a good thing. Just something to think about.

We've had the brakes replaced under warranty on two new trailers because of excessive grease. As a result, we manually pack the bearings annually and never use the ez-lube fitting.

YMMV.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #10

Very interesting and helpful information relating to 2015 WhiteHawk 28DSBH.
Thought I would provide a few details from looking at, adding grease through the EZ-lube fitting.
Right-side - Went through normal process of jacking up each axle, removing the wheel, popping out the rubber dust cover, inspect, noticed a little bit of excess grease inside, attached the grease gun added more grease while rotating the drum to both right side wheels.
Left-side - Went through normal process of jacking up each axle, removing the wheel, popping out the rubber dust cover, inspect, no excess grease very clean, almost to the point wondering how much, maybe a little amount of grease was behind the EZ-lube fitting.
I added a considerable more amount of grease to the left side bearings than the right side.
Point is inspect all wheels,
The assembler on the right side appeared to grease the bearing properly.
The assembler on the left side maybe just waved the grease gun near fittings.
txpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpete View Post
Very interesting and helpful information relating to 2015 WhiteHawk 28DSBH.
Thought I would provide a few details from looking at, adding grease through the EZ-lube fitting.
Right-side - Went through normal process of jacking up each axle, removing the wheel, popping out the rubber dust cover, inspect, noticed a little bit of excess grease inside, attached the grease gun added more grease while rotating the drum to both right side wheels.
Left-side - Went through normal process of jacking up each axle, removing the wheel, popping out the rubber dust cover, inspect, no excess grease very clean, almost to the point wondering how much, maybe a little amount of grease was behind the EZ-lube fitting.
I added a considerable more amount of grease to the left side bearings than the right side.
Point is inspect all wheels,
The assembler on the right side appeared to grease the bearing properly.
The assembler on the left side maybe just waved the grease gun near fittings.
This is exactly why I don't use the Lazy Lube System, you don't have any idea how much grease is in there. I don't want to worry about a bearing overheating due to the lack of grease, talk about a vacation stopper. Watch the videos and do it right, once its jacked up and wheel removed your halfway done, maybe another 15 minutes to remove bearings, clean, grease, and done.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #12

I place the lack of attention to detail squarely on the manufacturer, my point of submitting some notes as to my findings. Plenty of grease on one side of the trailer and questionable on the other.
Just like a car assembler, who knows what the other guy is doing on the other side of the vehicle, as I have experienced before.
Just an awareness or observation topic.
txpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradertb View Post
All-

1. If so, what size?
2. What type of grease do you use?
3. Would you have the part number of the bearing cup? Is the cup something you can purchase at your local Autozone?

Thanks!
" Does the Whitehawk have a cotter pin holding the wheel nut in place?"

You must be old school like me. I remember cotter pins holding those castle nuts in place on just about anything that had a wheel & axle. It shouldn't be to difficult greasing the bearings, just be careful & keep it clean. Use a nice drop cloth.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

Most NAPA stores have trailer bearings and seals. Even if they don't have the same brand they can cross reference the # to another.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #15

Same issue with a "Friday Afternoon Assembler"

I had the same issue with my passenger side bearings. Luckily another driver alerted me to the smoke rolling out from under my trailer as i was going down the highway. After that roadside repair to the right rear and getting to the campground I pulled them all. The right front had maybe a pump of grease in it and the left side front and rear was full and well lubed. Keep in mind at the time of this lesson the trailer was on mile 30-50ish basically brand new! The lesson to me was trust NO ONE!! Check it all yourself!! Even brand new doesn't means its right