Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Wheel bearings repack

2nd year for our TT, after about 3000 miles last year decided to check the wheel bearings. What I found was that 3 wheels the grease was okay but could use additional, one wheel was really low and really needed the bearings full repack (actually cleaned and repacked bearings on all wheels). Glad I did this before heading out on another camping season.
Note there are zerks for adding grease in each spindle, but doubt that grease will get into bearings adequately also unsure about amount of grease being added/needed...

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

I repacked one bearing last night. It looked good. I fully cleaned the bearing. I did have to go buy a new rear seal.

This is the first time I have checked any of the bearings in 4 years and 15K miles. Now threeore to do.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

I just had mine done before a road trip next week, second year, maybe 1500 miles on the camper. Am I being overly concerned? What's a good rule of thumb for this maintenance? I didn't want any possibility of brake, loose lug, or air pressure related disasters on trip so I probably jumped the gun on this one.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Team

I have mine repacked every other year which works out about 8-10k of towing. They replace the seals every time and check the brakes.

I carry a torque wrench and check them several times a year.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

I have heard every year or 12K miles which ever comes first. I am well over due.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

I like doing my own repack, opportunity to check tires closely, etc.
Burned a bearing many years ago that was done by a shop....

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
2nd year for our TT, after about 3000 miles last year decided to check the wheel bearings. What I found was that 3 wheels the grease was okay but could use additional, one wheel was really low and really needed the bearings full repack (actually cleaned and repacked bearings on all wheels). Glad I did this before heading out on another camping season.
Note there are zerks for adding grease in each spindle, but doubt that grease will get into bearings adequately also unsure about amount of grease being added/needed...
Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
The zerk fitting on the end of the spindle shows you have EZ-Lube axles. Routine repacking is done by rotating the tire while gently pumping fresh grease in.

They are great for doing 1/2 the job and ignoring the work that should be done.

Kudos for doing the job properly!

PS. I've got EZ-Lube on my trailer and 1 of the 4 hubs was dry from the factory too.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Lots of people don't like the EZ-Lube hubs because of the danger of blowing a seal and contaminating the brakes with grease. I use them between total tear-downs, which I do every 2 years. To me (A&P mechanic) they're a good tool. If you rotate the wheel and slowly pump in fresh grease, the old stuff comes out the front. If it's not coming pretty quickly, stop, because the seal's been breached. If handled immediately, you should still not contaminate the brakes. If it comes out with metal in it, you have a bad bearing. In either case you need to tear it down, clean it up, and replace/repack the bearings as needed... and replace the seals.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Lots of people don't like the EZ-Lube hubs because of the danger of blowing a seal and contaminating the brakes with grease. I use them between total tear-downs, which I do every 2 years. To me (A&P mechanic) they're a good tool. If you rotate the wheel and slowly pump in fresh grease, the old stuff comes out the front. If it's not coming pretty quickly, stop, because the seal's been breached. If handled immediately, you should still not contaminate the brakes. If it comes out with metal in it, you have a bad bearing. In either case you need to tear it down, clean it up, and replace/repack the bearings as needed... and replace the seals.
I couldn't agree more and not just because I'm also an A&P. I've been dealing with boat trailers since I was a kid. My dad had me greasing the bearings when I was probably no more than 6 years old. I was glad to hear our trailer came with EZ lube hubs since to me they are a great tool that when properly used allows you to extend the time between complete tear downs. I've never understood why they don't get more love on this site.

2015 X23B
2013 Ram 1500 / Big Horn / 5.7L Hemi
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #10

I wonder if I should check mine? Bought the unit last March and put maybe 5K on it since. What say you??

Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote