Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Wheel bearings repack

2nd year for our TT, after about 3000 miles last year decided to check the wheel bearings. What I found was that 3 wheels the grease was okay but could use additional, one wheel was really low and really needed the bearings full repack (actually cleaned and repacked bearings on all wheels). Glad I did this before heading out on another camping season.
Note there are zerks for adding grease in each spindle, but doubt that grease will get into bearings adequately also unsure about amount of grease being added/needed...

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

I repacked one bearing last night. It looked good. I fully cleaned the bearing. I did have to go buy a new rear seal.

This is the first time I have checked any of the bearings in 4 years and 15K miles. Now threeore to do.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

I just had mine done before a road trip next week, second year, maybe 1500 miles on the camper. Am I being overly concerned? What's a good rule of thumb for this maintenance? I didn't want any possibility of brake, loose lug, or air pressure related disasters on trip so I probably jumped the gun on this one.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Team

I have mine repacked every other year which works out about 8-10k of towing. They replace the seals every time and check the brakes.

I carry a torque wrench and check them several times a year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

I have heard every year or 12K miles which ever comes first. I am well over due.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

I like doing my own repack, opportunity to check tires closely, etc.
Burned a bearing many years ago that was done by a shop....

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
2nd year for our TT, after about 3000 miles last year decided to check the wheel bearings. What I found was that 3 wheels the grease was okay but could use additional, one wheel was really low and really needed the bearings full repack (actually cleaned and repacked bearings on all wheels). Glad I did this before heading out on another camping season.
Note there are zerks for adding grease in each spindle, but doubt that grease will get into bearings adequately also unsure about amount of grease being added/needed...
Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
The zerk fitting on the end of the spindle shows you have EZ-Lube axles. Routine repacking is done by rotating the tire while gently pumping fresh grease in.

They are great for doing 1/2 the job and ignoring the work that should be done.

Kudos for doing the job properly!

PS. I've got EZ-Lube on my trailer and 1 of the 4 hubs was dry from the factory too.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

Lots of people don't like the EZ-Lube hubs because of the danger of blowing a seal and contaminating the brakes with grease. I use them between total tear-downs, which I do every 2 years. To me (A&P mechanic) they're a good tool. If you rotate the wheel and slowly pump in fresh grease, the old stuff comes out the front. If it's not coming pretty quickly, stop, because the seal's been breached. If handled immediately, you should still not contaminate the brakes. If it comes out with metal in it, you have a bad bearing. In either case you need to tear it down, clean it up, and replace/repack the bearings as needed... and replace the seals.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Lots of people don't like the EZ-Lube hubs because of the danger of blowing a seal and contaminating the brakes with grease. I use them between total tear-downs, which I do every 2 years. To me (A&P mechanic) they're a good tool. If you rotate the wheel and slowly pump in fresh grease, the old stuff comes out the front. If it's not coming pretty quickly, stop, because the seal's been breached. If handled immediately, you should still not contaminate the brakes. If it comes out with metal in it, you have a bad bearing. In either case you need to tear it down, clean it up, and replace/repack the bearings as needed... and replace the seals.
I couldn't agree more and not just because I'm also an A&P. I've been dealing with boat trailers since I was a kid. My dad had me greasing the bearings when I was probably no more than 6 years old. I was glad to hear our trailer came with EZ lube hubs since to me they are a great tool that when properly used allows you to extend the time between complete tear downs. I've never understood why they don't get more love on this site.

2022 33RBTS
howlin4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:34 AM   #10

I wonder if I should check mine? Bought the unit last March and put maybe 5K on it since. What say you??
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #11
Site Team

I think the main reason they don't get "love" is because many think they are a quick fix to greasing/ inspecting bearings and have the perception that just shoving some grease in the fitting will keep them from having problems.

No manner of talking about it seems to change that perception.

If you have them, read the procedure for lubing them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've found that every 2 years or 10,000 miles, which ever comes first..., has worked for me (repack and brake inspection).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

Sounds like I was definitely too early getting mine done but I guess I won't have to worry about a dry one coming out of the factory, so a little peace of mind will be the only benefit. I'm going to follow the two year 10,000-12,000 mile rule from now on and learn how to do them myself. I cant haul it to the house but I can haul it to work and do it in the parking lot. Once again a very educational thread for a tenderfoot.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I wonder if I should check mine? Bought the unit last March and put maybe 5K on it since. What say you??
I would check them, as I described above. If you've got the EZ-Lube hubs and have never added grease, it will probably take a tube of grease per side of the trailer, ie. half a tube per spindle. Make sure you pump it in slowly and spinning the wheel helps because it has the grease moving in the bearings prior to putting pressure on the grease. I do this every other year, in between the years I do it the hard way. Some think it's a bit much but I hate nothing more than being broke on the side of the road.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #15

EZ lube hubs are great if they work properly. Even if you do know how to properly use them you still run the risk of blowing a rear seal. You won't know if you do or not when pumping grease into them. You may be pumping the right way and just as you get your last couple pumps in and grease starts to seep out the front you could also be pushing some out the seal as well.
I'm not an engineer so I don't know the pressure requirements of grease. I'm not sure which would win out in the pressure test. But if the rear seal is leaking a little I think that you could still be pushing grease out the front. At some point the rear seal will give way and then all the grease will going out the rear.
Hand pack and be safe.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #16

My trailer is also a '13 and I figure there's about 10,000km on it. This will be the year that I have the brakes and bearings serviced for the first time. I also don't like the idea of the EZ lube fittings because they don't do a thorough job and you can't see the if the rear seal is leaking grease into the brakes while you're pumping it in.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #17

Last time I serviced my EZ-Lube hubs I did a full job - new brake drums with bearing races installed, new bearings, and new seals. After checking the races to make sure they were fully pressed into place, I lubed all the bearings, forcing Mobil 1 synthetic grease into them, using the press-the-bearing-into-a-palmfull-of-grease method. Then around each bearing once placed in the hubs I slopped on another tablespoon or two of grease in the bearing/race area. Torqued bearings/drums onto spindles, and called it good. I used only about 1/2 of a tube of grease total for all 4 wheel assemblies. In my 5000 miles of towing over the last winter season, the bearings worked just fine, with no overheating or other problems.

I just can't make myself waste a tube of grease in each hub assembly when the bearings need only a small amount. The rest of the grease around the spindle isn't used by the bearings. EZ-Lube hubs were designed mainly for submersible/boat trailers, and in that case they SHOULD be filled with grease to displace water, and SHOULD be pumped with grease after each submersion. But with dry land trailers, just lube, seal and forget until the recommended routine disassembly/inspection/relube interval.

Who worries that much about the grease in their cars and trucks? They go nearly forever on the original grease from the manufacturer. Anyway, that's take on EZ-Lube hubs and their care.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #18

Bill, I agree with you 100%. I also do my own, old fashion, grease in palm packing bearing method and no 2 tube grease packing overkill. I would be afraid to pump grease into the EZ-Lube zerks even if done properly and as specified due to the possibility of a seal blow out.

I also believe the wheels should come off every 2 years and a bearing repack performed and new seals installed regardless.
(2) Yamaha EF2000is Inverter Generators
House of Harview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #19

I guess you could think of it this way- How much grease is there inside sealed bearings, which last a long, long time? Hardly any.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #20

Most sealed bearings have only about 25% of the free space filled with grease (or less). 100% fill is used for very slow rotating equipment. For dry land trailers, 100% is not needed. As someone who comes from the bearing industry, I strongly encourage following the axle manufacturer recommendations. They have done the calculations to estimate relube intervals and have historical perspective.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote