Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

wheel chok

Why didn't they put some kind of a E brake system on T.T.'s??
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

I'm surprised they haven't. But hey, we're all still mostly using old school drum brakes too for price point mainly. I guess with drum brakes, they're easy, cheap, they work, so leave well enough alone. Definitely seeing a lot more disc brakes now a days.

I like the idea of an E-brake, provided there was a method of never forgetting it's on. Of course, if I were to invent some product like this, Lippert would duplicate it or offer a bunch of money for a buy out. Seems to be the trend.

I have to say, I've never seen this question asked.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

There is an emergency brake; the 'breakaway' switch and the trailer's battery fully apply the brakes when the switch is pulled.

There is no mechanical parking brake like tow vehicles and MH have, AFAIK. Adding it would probably cost more than the wheel chocks/X-chocks etc. that are available.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

My wife has killed almost every e-brake in my vehicles, it would have to be a really beefy mechanical system to come close to what a cheap pair of chalks can accomplish, like what train cars use.

A basic system is pretty easy to implement engineering wise... cable activated, manual brake shoes/pads inside your existing drums, separate from the electric system. Not sure where you would install the 'lever' but the only place that makes sense is somewhere near the coupler. 5 grand and I'll design / patent something and sell them, but I have a feeling it's a solution looking for a problem at this point. If the ebrake fails and you don't have chalks, you are screwed anyway so you would have to use chalks regardless. This would add to / not replace chalks so I doubt a lot of people would pay for it. I like the idea though.

If you could somehow integrate this e-brake with the tow vehicle brake controller, things start getting really expensive but a lot more useful.

Air brakes on the TT maybe? I think I'll have to stick with my 4 dollar chalks for now
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

Don't think I would want to use the breakaway e brake continuously as it would run down the battery when not plugged in & it may prematurely wear out the electrical components.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Don't think I would want to use the breakaway e brake continuously as it would run down the battery when not plugged in & it may prematurely wear out the electrical components.
Right. I read somewhere that leaving them on like that can burn out the magnetic coils.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote