Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Wheel Lube

How often do you grease (lube) your trailer wheels? I've only had my 2015 X23B out less than 1000 miles. Do you just squirt some in or change completely? Recommendations. Thanks.
rdcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

I grease my bearing before every trip and repack them once a year. There are a number of posts here on the subject. Be careful on You Tube as there is some good information and some "other" information. For this type of subject I would stick with You Tube videos from professionals rather than individual DIYers. I state this as there is one video where the host says he uses 1 full tube of grease per wheel.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Check them when you get the trailer to ensure they are in good shape. Then every 2 to 3 years is good practice. Taking them apart and visually inspecting them is the proper way to check and re-pack.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Do you have the ez-lube axles? Lots of opinions on those.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #5

The axle manufactures recommend 12k miles or once a year. There is no reason to lube before every trip, and I like to see what I am doing so I will never use the Lazy Lube system just to many things can go wrong. Since I don't put 12k on mine I wait until the end of the season to pull, clean, inspect, grease, install and done in just over an hour.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #6

Grease does not just disappear. Pumping to much in will blow out rear seal and make a mess and damage brake shoes.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Site Team

I have EZ lube bearings. That said I would never pump grease in them. I have them pulled and inspected every other season.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #8

For yucks, I pumped grease in until, as they are designed, dirty grease came out the front. I then pulled the wheel to see what happened.. no grease blew out the rear, and no grease on the brakes. You do need to squeeze the grease in slowly, to allow it to flow around the bearings and come out the front. That test said, I typically just pull and grease once a season, and check running temps while towing. The one I tested by putting grease in it, was running hotter than the others, but had no issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #9

I'm no expert but I've been victim of grease blowing out the rear seal on my ez-lube axles and the amount of pain and stress it caused me when I had to replace all four brakes has made me consider the time to hand-pack once a year a good investment.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Buy a few simple tools and it makes the job quick and easy. Bought this handy packer, fill it full of Mobil 1 grease drop in the bearing and push and its full. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Then to make getting in the rear seal straight and to the correct depth and also driving races, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #11

Pumping grease before each trip is way excessive. Once a year, and that’s if you put some miles in.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #12

I generally do every other season and haven't had an issue. I am keeping a log now so we'll see how many miles I put on but even every year seems excessive to me. That's not to say I don't check them the odd years.

I like that bearing backer shown. Lots less mess. I may have to look into one of those.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #13

The only reason they suggest yearly is heat and moisture will break down the grease. When I open mine up after a year it looks like I just did them, grease looks fine but I play by the suggestions and repack them just to be safe and not have a break down while on vacation
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The only reason they suggest yearly is heat and moisture will break down the grease. When I open mine up after a year it looks like I just did them, grease looks fine but I play by the suggestions and repack them just to be safe and not have a break down while on vacation
This too is excessive and unnecessary. The proof is in the pudding or in this case, "grease looks fine" so no need to do anything. This is not a time or even distance issue, but rather the condition of the grease at inspection. If it looks good, then it is good. Wear, contamination, and water will cause the grease to darken and change consistency over time. When that happens its time to clean and repack.

Excessive and early repacking is asking for a problem caused by improper reassembly or even accidential contamination during the packing process. This is kind of like opening your cooler to check on the ice every 3 hours. If experience says the cooler will hold ice for 12 - 24 hours depending on the outside temp, then you are cutting that hold time by up to half by opening it unnecessarily just to check. Opening to check the bearings is pretty much the same thing. Check the temps on the hubs after towing 25 or so miles and remove the dust cover and look at the outer grease. Heat normal and grease "like new" and you are good to go.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #15

Buy a simple repacking come type tool and use your grease gun. It’s like $8 on amazon. Then use a pry bar and something with a lip like a under a counter to hold the drum when pulling the seal out.

With this method, you can do each bearing in under 10 min. It takes way longer to jack the trailer and clean the brakes off.

That’s another reason to pull the bearings and repack by hand. You get to check the brakes and clean them.

This is all the important parts that make your trailer, well, a trailer. It’s what keeps you safe rolling down the mountain and is the whole reason our mobile.

For your safety and others, repack the bearings once a year. It’s just smart.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote