Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Wheel Play: Counter intuitive?

Had a flat and watched as tire was changed. When the tire was bolted back on, and torqued properly, the entire wheel assembly could be moved so you could hear the brake drum (or some other component) moving. I grabbed the wheel and it seemed as if there was about an 1/8" play. He told me this is usual in TT's with electronic brakes, there needs to be a bit of play. I asked if a bearing might be loose but he insisted that this is normal. This seems very counter intuitive but I've learned since purchasing the TT that I have to expand my knowledge. Comments? I plan on checking the bearings before I take the TT out again.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #2

I've had all four wheels off on my 27 foot trailer and I never had the amount of play that you're describing. My thinking would be the same as yours, that the castle nut wasn't as tight as it should be against the bearings to keep that play to a minimum. Wait for others to chime in and see what the consensus is. I made learn something as well that would be counter to my and you're thinking.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

In many ways a bearing is a bearing is a bearing. Assuming you have tapered roller bearing in your trailer I have never seen one that would be anywhere near that sloppy. Typically a tapered roller bearing is tightened to a particular torque (usually inch pounds) while rotating the wheel, then either backed off or tightened just to have the slot in the castellated nut line up with the hole in the axle. I would find the website of the manufacturer of the axle assembly (likely Dexter or Lippert) and ask them. Loose bearings are generally a prescription for disaster. Just because the guy that changed the tire has seen that alot doesn't mean it's right. I may be wrong but I'm betting no.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lightning View Post
In many ways a bearing is a bearing is a bearing. Assuming you have tapered roller bearing in your trailer I have never seen one that would be anywhere near that sloppy. Typically a tapered roller bearing is tightened to a particular torque (usually inch pounds) while rotating the wheel, then either backed off or tightened just to have the slot in the castellated nut line up with the hole in the axle. I would find the website of the manufacturer of the axle assembly (likely Dexter or Lippert) and ask them. Loose bearings are generally a prescription for disaster. Just because the guy that changed the tire has seen that alot doesn't mean it's right. I may be wrong but I'm betting no.
X2

Just like Johnny Lightning, I've never felt that much slop.

I check mine when Discount Tire rotates and balances my trailer tires. When the tires are off the ground, I walk around and spin the tires, listening for something dragging, and check for bearing play.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

Found the Solution, we were all right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Had a flat and watched as tire was changed. When the tire was bolted back on, and torqued properly, the entire wheel assembly could be moved so you could hear the brake drum (or some other component) moving. I grabbed the wheel and it seemed as if there was about an 1/8" play. He told me this is usual in TT's with electronic brakes, there needs to be a bit of play. I asked if a bearing might be loose but he insisted that this is normal. This seems very counter intuitive but I've learned since purchasing the TT that I have to expand my knowledge. Comments? I plan on checking the bearings before I take the TT out again.

Thanks to those that replyed, we all ended up being correct. Couldn't stand this so I went over and pulled the wheels. All 4 of the castle nuts needed tightening. This is probably my inexperience with installing bearings. Maybe I should have gone back after a few thousand miles and tightened the castle nuts. Doesn't appear to be any damage except that the one tire has uneven wear, inexpensive lesson.
Thanks again.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #6

Great! Lesson learned and we were all on the same page with our thinking. That doesn't seem to happen too often anymore in this country if you believe the news. Now... maybe I'll go check and see if I have a bearing loose too.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote