Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #1

Wheel size

My 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH didn't come with a spare; at least none that I can find. I wish to order a wheel for the spare and don't know what size I should order. I found a website that has travel trailer wheels and it has a wheel that seems right, but I haven't been able to find any definite information on what my travel trailer takes. The website lists an 8 spoke 15" x 6" - 5 Lug - 4 1/2" bolt pattern wheel that seems to be correct. Is this correct for my travel trailer?
IronmanMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Tire size

I checked my tire size and it is an ST205/75 D-14. That's a 14 inch tire, but specifications I found on the internet for my trailer say it is suppose to have 15 inch rims. The only size wheel that website has besides the 15 inch is for a 13 inch. Aaaagggghhh! :lightning:
Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Did you check the specs on a 2008 or the current 2012 models? They may have changed the size since 2008. I know the 2010`s had 15" tires on them.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Crabman.

I did check for the 2008 on this website:

http://www.rvguide.com/specs/jayco/t...ght/26-bh.html

So frustrating.

I found a website that has that tire with a 5 lug wheel for 124 dollars, but I still cannot tell for sure if it will fit my travel trailer.

I bought the travel trailer used so it's possible they may have reduced the wheel size for some reason
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Site Team

That is strange, I cannot imagine what would be gained by switching out for smaller wheels/tires by a previous owner. It would reduce the CCC and GVWR of the trailer, and make it lower to the ground as well. Perhaps a dealer needed them and switched them out? Far fetched but I`m just guessing here.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
That is strange, I cannot imagine what would be gained by switching out for smaller wheels/tires by a previous owner. It would reduce the CCC and GVWR of the trailer, and make it lower to the ground as well. Perhaps a dealer needed them and switched them out? Far fetched but I`m just guessing here.
I checked another website and the spec's still indicated 15 inch rims. I looked at a 26BHS and it also showed 15 inch rims. Does Jayco have a website that lists the spec's for their older models?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Site Team

I found this, which is their product archive site. You can look up prior years models. Not sure if wheel size will be found though. I `m thinking your trailer was supposed to have 15" wheels on it. Is the GVWR rating 7500 lbs like the newer ones?

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/archive.php
Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #8

From what I have been able to find about the trailer, the GVWR is suppose to be 7500. It is too late to check the trailer, but I'll see what the trailer itself has on it in the morning.

Thanks Crabman for the assistance.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Team

I just checked the archive and it is 7500 lbs for 2008, the same as other years which have the 15" rims. Perhaps another owner with a 2008 will confirm the rim size. My money is on 15" rims for that much GVWR.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Actually, that is not so far fetched. A lot of stuff like that goes on at dealers. When I traded my first Ranger in for a later model, I had the dealer transfer the bedliner and shell from the older truck to the new one. I also had them swap the monster chrome rims and tires (aka theft bait) on the new truck for some stock ones on another truck in the lot. When I was about to take delivery on the truck, I noticed the third brake light on the shell wasn't working. Turned out it wasn't there. It turned up on a mechanic's work bench. Apparently, he had stolen it.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #11

My 08 has 15" wheels on it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #12

Thanks Lady and Joe for the replies.

Looks like the wheels on my RV are not the correct ones. Oh well, life is as it is.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Sounds like someone did the old switcharoo on your trailer Ironman as you suspected. Wow.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronmanMLR View Post
My 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH didn't come with a spare; at least none that I can find. I wish to order a wheel for the spare and don't know what size I should order. I found a website that has travel trailer wheels and it has a wheel that seems right, but I haven't been able to find any definite information on what my travel trailer takes. The website lists an 8 spoke 15" x 6" - 5 Lug - 4 1/2" bolt pattern wheel that seems to be correct. Is this correct for my travel trailer?
A safety question would be whether or not the wheels and the tires on your trailer are rated to carry the weight of your trailer. Of course, this is easy to figure out for the tires. For the wheels, I suggest that you look for the brand and a model number on the wheels, and double check their weight and tire pressure capacity at the manufacturer's web site.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
A safety question would be whether or not the wheels and the tires on your trailer are rated to carry the weight of your trailer. Of course, this is easy to figure out for the tires. For the wheels, I suggest that you look for the brand and a model number on the wheels, and double check their weight and tire pressure capacity at the manufacturer's web site.
I agree, this will undoubtedly reduce the GVWR of the unit and lower it slightly to the ground. One thing going for the 26 BH is that it has a rather large CCC of 2640 lbs. with of course the original tires and wheels.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Quote:
I agree, this will undoubtedly reduce the GVWR of the unit and lower it slightly to the ground. One thing going for the 26 BH is that it has a rather large CCC of 2640 lbs. with of course the original tires and wheels.
The tires are rated to 1760 lbs, but the wheels I could not find anything on them. I can see where there used to be a label, but there is nothing but the glue left.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #17

Wheels I'm familiar with have ID numbers stamped into them. If these numbers aren't obvious, perhaps removing a wheel and looking at it carefully, on both sides, would be helpful.

Although we have no idea what wheels are on your trailer, Dexter makes a lot of wheels for trailers. Here is their website: Dexter Wheels Don't go just by appearance, try to find a number on the wheel that tells you for sure what your rims are, whether Dexter or something else. If there aren't some sort of identification numbers on the wheels, maybe if you took a wheel to a reputable tire shop they could tell you for sure.

Kudos to you for being careful about your wheels and tires.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Wheels I'm familiar with have ID numbers stamped into them. If these numbers aren't obvious, perhaps removing a wheel and looking at it carefully, on both sides, would be helpful.

Although we have no idea what wheels are on your trailer, Dexter makes a lot of wheels for trailers. Here is their website: Dexter Wheels Don't go just by appearance, try to find a number on the wheel that tells you for sure what your rims are, whether Dexter or something else. If there aren't some sort of identification numbers on the wheels, maybe if you took a wheel to a reputable tire shop they could tell you for sure.

Kudos to you for being careful about your wheels and tires.
Thanks RVHIKER for the reply and the info

Learned from my dad who insisted on over loading those little utility trailers. He had several tires literaly come off and had one where the tire valve popped out of the wheel. Eventually he got himself a better utility trailer and we wielded on a couple spare tire holders. From that point on we were very concerned about the tires and loading. I do admit that I didn't know that the wheels had a pressure rating as well. I always thought the metal was so much stronger than the rubber that there was no need, but I was wrong. Live and learn.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #19

ironman,
Look at the trailer id sticker at the left front corner of the trailer. It will have the tire size and the recomended tire pressure for your trailer when it left the factory. I believe some do have the wheel size also. I have been looking at what came on my trailer. I think it came with barely enough to cover GVWR. The first blow out or problem with tires I will replace all with E rated tires.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfeather View Post
ironman,
Look at the trailer id sticker at the left front corner of the trailer. It will have the tire size and the recomended tire pressure for your trailer when it left the factory. I believe some do have the wheel size also. I have been looking at what came on my trailer. I think it came with barely enough to cover GVWR. The first blow out or problem with tires I will replace all with E rated tires.
Thanks for the info dlfeather.

According to that sticker I have the correct wheels and tires for my TT. I don't know if I should be relieved, confused, or both.

Just to be sure, where would the VIN number be located? Was there a particular year that carried 14" wheels? There was a piece of paper that was located inside of the cabinet door under the sink that showed that this trailer was a 26 BH and had the UVW, CCC and GVWR on it. However it didn't indicate a year.