Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

When it rains it pours

We have only had our camper about 2 months. I was pulling out of the drive on our first trip and a branch caught our back trim and ripped it off. Easy Fix, like brand new. Now our bathtub was not installed right so they are going to have to remove it and reinstall. To top all of that I was parking on the road today for a trip we are going on tomorrow. There is only one tree and it is way off of the road. Of course there was one branch that stuck way out that I could not see and it punctured two holes in our roof the size of dimes. I was cussing so loud the neighbors came out. This thing is brand new and we keep having bad luck, it is just frustrating. Does anyone else have this kind of bad luck?
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

well I am so sorry about your bad luck but once you've gotten past it I hope your camping goes smooth as silk .... good luck and great camping
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #3

Hang in there. I hope u still get to go camping tomorrow.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

That sucks, I have had my share of dings over the years. Learned to have a spotter when anything is remotely near. We were in a tight site at Zion last month and my wife "the spotter" said you almost hit that fence. It was on my blindside I was like next time yell!!

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

The first family trip on our old 26bh, I back the the yard at the in-laws. I thought I hit a dip in the yard, so I gassed it out. Still stuck. I pulled forward, then backed up again. Got stuck again. Two more times I did that before I got out and saw I kept backing into the clothes line (iron pipe cemented into the groud). Ha ha. Boy was I humbled.... 4" hole through the back of the trailer.

Hang in there bro!
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #6

When it rains it pours

There is a family that is part of a group that we camp with. On their maiden voyage with a brand new Lance trailer the driver turned too quick out of the driveway and dragged the entire trailer against a 3' tall retaining wall. Whole thing was ripped open on the left side. The insurance totaled the unit and it was never even camped in.

Hang in there and I hope things get better from here!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #7

We are leaving today for a camping trip. I am going to eternabond the holes. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

We are as lucky as you. Backing in the drive way the first time home we jackknifed and cut the cord between the trailer and tv. First time camping we were going around the circle in the camp ground, went a little to tight and hit a tree all down the side. Lucklt just a little dent and the wheel gaurd bent. Then when backing in to the camping stall took out the number post. No damage to trailer, but pride, big hole. that was 3 yearsw ago, now things are sooooooooooo much better. We do learn from our mistakes.
I hope your trip went well.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkersdad View Post
This thing is brand new and we keep having bad luck, it is just frustrating. Does anyone else have this kind of bad luck?
Yup!
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=dumb

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #10

Bad things always happen in threes, and you've had your three. You should be good for a couple of trouble-free years, now! (LOL)

The very first outing in my Eagle went so well, I should have known something bad was on the horizon. I had returned home and was backing the rig into my driveway. Amazingly, I managed to get it into the right spot on the first try! I had only backed the 30' trailer into my 30' driveway twice before, but thought I had a pretty good feel for how much truck should be out in the street when the trailer was about as close to the garage as I wanted to get.

Guess not!

I backed it into the gutter. Pulled forward, and could see the damaged gutter, so a backed up again, thinking I wouldn't go back as far this time. Did the same thing! Ended up having to replace about 4' of my gutter, but the worst part was that the back of the trailer hit the gutter right where one of the mounting nails was located. The head of the nail put a nickel-sized hole in the rear fiberglass wall of my brand new trailer, about a foot below the roof. It still has a piece of duct tape on it. Have the stuff to repair it; just haven't had the time to get it done.

I guess we're both due for a rainbow!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

On the way home from our maiden voyage, I was braggin about how smooth everything was going. The DW says "we're not home yet"..... long story short, when backing the trailer into the side of my yard, I ran the back of the trailer into the roof of my house.
scrawf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

First camper I ever owned on my own, bought it and parked in the back yard waiting for time to get it inspected. Pulled it out of the back yard and pulled a little too close to the house. I saw the house in my mirror... didn't see that the gutter sticks out 3" past the house. Ripped the gutter off the roof... Thankfully when I inspected my camper I realized there was an old tear in the roof that I missed when we bought it.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #13

When I backed my Greyhawk into the driveway for the first time, I stopped mid way and removed the basket ball hoop before I went any further !! Sorry kids, it's my turn !
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote