Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
This question is really a personal judgement call. If the weather goes IFR and you are not IFR rated you don't fly.

Being an Airline Pilot and flight instructor I need to agree with CAG.
What was said above if the weather is IFR and you are not IFR Rated, you are not supposed top fly. VERY TRUE...…… UNFORTUNATELY, some try it and lose control and CRASH!

There is a huge difference between those that have the weather experience and don't.
THIS APPLIES TO DRIVING TOO!

I like how you stated the post.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #22

Didn't cancel a trip but stayed an extra day because of T-storms, big winds and rain. We were in Utah late this summer and heading west through NV on hwy 30-233 to I-80 towards Reno. A big storm coming in from the NW bringing winds, hail, rain, etc was right in our path. We were at an RV park and just ate another $45 to stay an extra night. It was supposed to be just a one night stand but we decided it was worth dropping another $45 for peaces if mind.
It worked out great as the next day was just partly cloudy/sunny.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Didn't cancel a trip but stayed an extra day because of T-storms, big winds and rain. We were in Utah late this summer and heading west through NV on hwy 30-233 to I-80 towards Reno. A big storm coming in from the NW bringing winds, hail, rain, etc was right in our path. We were at an RV park and just ate another $45 to stay an extra night. It was supposed to be just a one night stand but we decided it was worth dropping another $45 for peaces if mind.
It worked out great as the next day was just partly cloudy/sunny.
Dont'cha love the accuracy of the weather prognosticators?
Couple years ago, all the schools were closed because of the forecast bad weather coming in. On the appointed day..... Sunny and partly cloudy… Hummph!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #24

Consider the $140 an affordable insurance premium vis-à-vis the alternative of measurable costs in damage, delays, towing, as well as the immeasurable cost of discomfort and aggravation.
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #25

I've dealt with ice, snow and our scariest mountain passes for decades. I'd sit this one out if it were me. And from what I can gather of your experience and comfort level, you don't need this.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:04 AM   #26

We consider the road conditions before anything. This includes traffic. We live in Nor Cal and travel to the Sierra's often. I would never pull our TT in snow/ice on any two lane freeway or road. Twice, during clear weather we have had two class C drivers take curves too fast and take out the drivers side mirror, happened in Yellowstone and central Oregon near Sisters. We don't mind camping in the rain for a few days, but more than that we would cancel the trip. If you are RV'ing, $140.00 vs. a possible accident or being stuck inside for 3 or 4 days is just not worth it. FYI, we left Long Beach in a car and it took us 9 hours Tuesday night to get to the SF Bay area. Traffic was challenging.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #27

Hey, thx for all the reply’s.
Never got deposit back. They said only if they closed the road getting there-which they did the morning after we were meant to arrive. Whatever.
Went to the beach instead- bit of rain - but got to go camping anyways without putting our life at risk- yeah.
Hope ya’all had a nice thx giving
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #28

I realize OP's time has already passed and a decision was made.

We've cancelled/delayed two trips due to weather in the last 5 or 6 years of RVing.

We have a wind rule; sustained winds in excess of 20 mph, and we're probably going to cancel. Wind AND weather and we'll probably sit it out. Forecast of ice and we're out. If our road crews could take care of the roads properly, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, but the bottom line is that we're just not equipped for it down here. So we sit those days out.

Weather at the destination is less of a concern. We've been known to head down to the coast and take a walk on the beach with our hoods cinched down tight on our thick jackets. We find ways to make it fun. And sometimes that's cozying up in the camper with the heater and furnace on watching a movie...

One trip to the coast was cancelled because of widespread ice forecast. Big winter storm came through and we were grounded. Called the destination park and they were cool about it. I paid some, but didn't lose all of it. Told them straight up it was too dangerous to drive.

The other was a return trip from seeing the Eclipse from the "epicenter" in Southern Illinois. Hurricane Harvey was battering the TX coast and we didn't make it home before he made landfall. The wind was the primary concern. We ended up staying a couple extra days in Tulsa (bet you didn't know they have a nice aquarium!) I watched the wind forecasts a couple times a day. I knew the storm would hit the coast and turn North East (I grew up in the area, so I've seen my share of storms along that coast). Rotation would cause the wind to shift around out of the North directly in line with our route South to home. We hit the road at the right time and caught a nice tail-wind all the way home. That was no accident.

We will try to brave the weather if we know it's going to be short-lived. And I also know my capabilities and those of my rig. I also know my comfort level and that of my traveling companions. If something is out of spec, we'll take the financial hit and wait it out. Thankfully, that's a rarity in our experience...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #29

$140.00 vs life or damage to your rv, hmmm.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote