Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
RAurand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
This question is really a personal judgement call. If the weather goes IFR and you are not IFR rated you don't fly.

.
Being an Airline Pilot and flight instructor I need to agree with CAG.
What was said above if the weather is IFR and you are not IFR Rated, you are not supposed top fly. VERY TRUE...…… UNFORTUNATELY, some try it and lose control and CRASH!

There is a huge difference between those that have the weather experience and don't.
THIS APPLIES TO DRIVING TOO!

I like how you stated the post.
__________________

__________________

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Southwire Black 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators
Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter
GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salem
Posts: 521
Didn't cancel a trip but stayed an extra day because of T-storms, big winds and rain. We were in Utah late this summer and heading west through NV on hwy 30-233 to I-80 towards Reno. A big storm coming in from the NW bringing winds, hail, rain, etc was right in our path. We were at an RV park and just ate another $45 to stay an extra night. It was supposed to be just a one night stand but we decided it was worth dropping another $45 for peaces if mind.
It worked out great as the next day was just partly cloudy/sunny.
__________________

goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
RAurand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Didn't cancel a trip but stayed an extra day because of T-storms, big winds and rain. We were in Utah late this summer and heading west through NV on hwy 30-233 to I-80 towards Reno. A big storm coming in from the NW bringing winds, hail, rain, etc was right in our path. We were at an RV park and just ate another $45 to stay an extra night. It was supposed to be just a one night stand but we decided it was worth dropping another $45 for peaces if mind.
It worked out great as the next day was just partly cloudy/sunny.
Dont'cha love the accuracy of the weather prognosticators?
Couple years ago, all the schools were closed because of the forecast bad weather coming in. On the appointed day..... Sunny and partly cloudy… Hummph!
__________________

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Southwire Black 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators
Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter
GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Arctic Bos'un's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25
Consider the $140 an affordable insurance premium vis-à-vis the alternative of measurable costs in damage, delays, towing, as well as the immeasurable cost of discomfort and aggravation.
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
cekkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pahrump
Posts: 3,121
I've dealt with ice, snow and our scariest mountain passes for decades. I'd sit this one out if it were me. And from what I can gather of your experience and comfort level, you don't need this.
__________________
'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:04 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milpitas
Posts: 863
We consider the road conditions before anything. This includes traffic. We live in Nor Cal and travel to the Sierra's often. I would never pull our TT in snow/ice on any two lane freeway or road. Twice, during clear weather we have had two class C drivers take curves too fast and take out the drivers side mirror, happened in Yellowstone and central Oregon near Sisters. We don't mind camping in the rain for a few days, but more than that we would cancel the trip. If you are RV'ing, $140.00 vs. a possible accident or being stuck inside for 3 or 4 days is just not worth it. FYI, we left Long Beach in a car and it took us 9 hours Tuesday night to get to the SF Bay area. Traffic was challenging.
__________________
X2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 45 years. Aki the "mutt," 13 years old "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help."
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Glendale
Posts: 189
Hey, thx for all the reply’s.
Never got deposit back. They said only if they closed the road getting there-which they did the morning after we were meant to arrive. Whatever.
Went to the beach instead- bit of rain - but got to go camping anyways without putting our life at risk- yeah.
Hope ya’all had a nice thx giving
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Camper_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 5,572
I realize OP's time has already passed and a decision was made.

We've cancelled/delayed two trips due to weather in the last 5 or 6 years of RVing.

We have a wind rule; sustained winds in excess of 20 mph, and we're probably going to cancel. Wind AND weather and we'll probably sit it out. Forecast of ice and we're out. If our road crews could take care of the roads properly, it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, but the bottom line is that we're just not equipped for it down here. So we sit those days out.

Weather at the destination is less of a concern. We've been known to head down to the coast and take a walk on the beach with our hoods cinched down tight on our thick jackets. We find ways to make it fun. And sometimes that's cozying up in the camper with the heater and furnace on watching a movie...

One trip to the coast was cancelled because of widespread ice forecast. Big winter storm came through and we were grounded. Called the destination park and they were cool about it. I paid some, but didn't lose all of it. Told them straight up it was too dangerous to drive.

The other was a return trip from seeing the Eclipse from the "epicenter" in Southern Illinois. Hurricane Harvey was battering the TX coast and we didn't make it home before he made landfall. The wind was the primary concern. We ended up staying a couple extra days in Tulsa (bet you didn't know they have a nice aquarium!) I watched the wind forecasts a couple times a day. I knew the storm would hit the coast and turn North East (I grew up in the area, so I've seen my share of storms along that coast). Rotation would cause the wind to shift around out of the North directly in line with our route South to home. We hit the road at the right time and caught a nice tail-wind all the way home. That was no accident.

We will try to brave the weather if we know it's going to be short-lived. And I also know my capabilities and those of my rig. I also know my comfort level and that of my traveling companions. If something is out of spec, we'll take the financial hit and wait it out. Thankfully, that's a rarity in our experience...
__________________

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Big1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lakewood, WA.
Posts: 2,016
$140.00 vs life or damage to your rv, hmmm.
__________________

__________________
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS 5th Wheel
Retired Army MSG
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×