Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #1

When to quit trip due to bad weather?

Hey,
What’s you’re tipping point on an upcoming trip when the weather goes bad.

I’m spoiled in SoCal - but have a trip to Kern river over thxgiving-awesome spot by the river. The weathers going to be Yukon-storm- I’m fine w rain- then they say snow -down to like 18degrees. Gotta go over a pass to get there-holiday traffic coming back in crappy weather. I loose $140 deposit- but it’s like death-by paper cuts- holding out till you say screw it-dont seem like fun-go find a cancellation in less adverse conditions.

What’s you’re guys rule-if any when it comes to say cut-bait. Usually it’s high winds for me- but this cold/snow has me more on the fence.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:42 AM   #2

I meant yuk-storm- not Yukon, not that bad
Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
Site Team

I cancelled a couple of planned weekends this year alone. If the weather looks really bad, we just don't go. Thankfully, those weekends were at KOA's and I was able to just simply move the reservation to another weekend and avoid losing the deposit.

It's a tough call, especially since the weather forecasts are usually unreliable this far out. But, don't feel bad to cancel if it doesn't look like it will be a good weekend.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #4

We had 2 different tropical depressions go over us on back to back to back weekends. I camped both weekends. I actually sat in a tree stand both of those weekends. My wife an I have gone knowing it was supposed to rain at least one of the days.
As long as its not supposed to be a 100% wash out the whole time we are supposed to be camping I/we will go.
As for holiday traffic, no way. That in itself would and does keep me off the major roads an highways. The snow, probably that to since I live in Ga an DOT doesn't touch any of the side roads an at times can't keep up with the main ones.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #5

This is supposed to be something we do for fun and relaxation.

If it's going to be cold, wet and white-knuckle driving, you need to be a very special kind of person to view that as "fun" :-)

Personally, I would eat the lost deposit and stay home, safe and warm.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

If you have not done snow and passes in snow ( and do you have chains?) I would stay home. $140 is not worth an accident.

Cold and snow doesn't stop us here because we are used to it but do not have many mountain passes. The one we do have is easily avoided.

Trust your gut and ignore peer pressure on this one. One accident in holiday traffic even if it is not your accident can delay you for hours if not longer. If you have alternatives the decision is not so set but from what I know of So Cal there are not many.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
This is supposed to be something we do for fun and relaxation.

If it's going to be cold, wet and white-knuckle driving, you need to be a very special kind of person to view that as "fun" :-)

Personally, I would eat the lost deposit and stay home, safe and warm.

X2...I just rescheduled my Turkey day weekend to the following weekend yesterday. No fun camping in the cold rain. The weather for the following weekend looks 100% better and the campground didn't charge anything to move the dates.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
CAG

This question is really a personal judgement call. If the weather goes IFR and you are not IFR rated you don't fly.

Pulling any kind of trailer, or driving a large coach makes for white knuckle trips if the weather gets to 18 F because things are going to freeze, both in the rig and on the road. Trying to keep a trailer from coming around to meet you on an icy road can get
tricky, and very dangerous.

You need to make this call, you're PIC (pilot in command).

And I need to add that if you have not driven in that type weather before -DON'T. You are a danger to yourself and others on the road.
CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

I would try to get out early, Tuesday at the latest. Get over the Grapevine before chains are required and the traffic gets really bad. Looks like Sunday on the way back, weather shouldn’t be a concern, traffic will be a nightmare. Temps wouldn’t concern me, just pack accordingly. If you can’t get your site early, just boondocks for a night or 2. If it were me, I wouldn’t drive it Wednesday or Thursday.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #10

It's all about how comfortable you feel driving in it. Everyone is different. Guys I work with think I'm totally nuts. 2500 ram Cummins 4x4 pulling a 28' enclosed trailer that has a 6'-6" height finished interior loaded with 4 snow machines that range from $6k to $12k ea and driving in total whiteout conditions in 4x4 hi up the interstate where the slow lane is a mere 2 track and the fast lane has a solid 6" of snow on it and no vehicular tracks in it whatsoever. It's a 3.5hr trip one way on good roads and we still go snowmobiling. BUT, I am used to driving in those kinds of conditions where a lot of people are not.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #11

We have some snow scheduled for over Thanksgiving so I moved my 5r over the pass early, now I just need to get my truck over the pass. Much easier than than risking towing in the snow.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

When the weather gets bad, I just buy more beer.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Just went thru 3 days of rain and same expected Thanksgiving weekend. Am forfeiting deposit in favor of being comfortable and dry.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #14

$140 deposit and no way to cancel without losing it? I would find a more customer friendly place to support - no matter how nice the campground may be - customer service makes or breaks any business Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
$140 deposit and no way to cancel without losing it? I would find a more customer friendly place to support - no matter how nice the campground may be - customer service makes or breaks any business Les
Re read the entire thread. I give kudos to the campground and they did the right thing for all parties.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #16

Yeah- gonna try nbook another place on the coast- rain but no snow/sub zero temps. Snow/ice/strong winds when getting there is a no-no.
Still get the dreaded traffic Sunday.
Yes- you’d think a cg would cut a break when it becomes life threatening to get there but I guess not.

Happy Thxgiving ya all!
Old 11-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Re read the entire thread. I give kudos to the campground and they did the right thing for all parties.
I just re read the entire thread, where does it say they did the right thing? From what I read he's still losing his $140.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #18

I would cancel and try to push the campground to allow the $140 to be used against a reservation on another date.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #19

There’s a couple of CGs esp in Cali that are like that and won’t budge. They are super gorgeous spots so they can.. I called them today n a non-manager who couldn’t give me a definitive told me ‘oh well that’s mother nature’.
I’ll try tomorrow but I’m not counting on it. At some point you gotta cut bait-then tell the world w a ****ty review. There’s some CGs get that you’re putting you’re life in danger getting there n cut you a break...there’s others who don’t care.
I’ll take on the manager tomorrow n let you know
Old 11-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #20

Let me know how that conversation goes, we were headed that way next summer. If they are a butt about it I’ll take my business elsewhere.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote