Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

Where do you store your bikes?

Ok, so I know that bike racks have been talk a lot on here. I have a question about the rear bumper. I noticed that on my 2019 28bhs JF the bumper seems to be a heavier gauge steel than the older models. Is this true, and would I be able to trust doing the 2" receiver bumper mount? (spare tire is mounted on there) If not, why are they selling those things. Inside the trailer also has where the bottom double bunk flips up. Do you store your bikes there? I've seen the above the propane racks, but I don't want to add any more tongue weight than I have. Almost leaning more to just storing them inside the TT. Thanks!!

2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi

2019 Jayflight 28BHS - SOLD
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max -Retired
SE Michigan
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Not all bumpers can handle one of those bike racks. Many are very weak, even if it's a heavier gauge steel, it's how the bumper is mounted to the frame that's the weak point. Some can though. Your owners manual should provided some information on max weight the bumper can carry.

The flip up bunk is exactly what that is for, bike storage. In our old trailer we carried our bikes inside, just laid them against a cabinet with a blanket to protect both the cabinet and the bikes.

This is what we do now. This will not work if your bikes don't have quick release wheels.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

Inside. Though one is a folder ( a full size bike) and fits in the truck. We only have to deal with two bikes though

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

We use the Jack-It 2 Bike Rack. Some find the bikes hard to load especially the one closest to the trailer. Wife and I don't have problems, wife is a bit taller at 5'8" than some wives, so maybe that makes it easier? We've hauled our bikes for 6000 miles plus without issue with this setup.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC429756.html
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

We also use the Jack-it two bike rack that goes on the tongue and suspends above the propane tanks. Although they require some flexibility to get the bikes on and off the rack, I like that it is easier to monitor while we are actually moving down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
jack it bike rack 2018.jpg  

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 AM   #7

My hitch guy added a 4" square tube just behind the bumper and then welded the receiver to that and then to the frame. This extra strength is great for the heavy bike rack (north shore racks) and the weight of 4 ~30lb bikes. It also offsets the weight on the tongue of 2x6v batteries and 2x20lb propane tanks.

We also like to have our bike rack so whenever we camp, we have the ability to put the rack onto the tow vehicle and take our bikes to the trailheads.
Attached Thumbnails
20190515_161123.jpg   20190515_161102.jpg   20190517_124621.jpg   20190517_124630.jpg  
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
Ok, so I know that bike racks have been talk a lot on here. I have a question about the rear bumper. I noticed that on my 2019 28bhs JF the bumper seems to be a heavier gauge steel than the older models. Is this true, and would I be able to trust doing the 2" receiver bumper mount? (spare tire is mounted on there) If not, why are they selling those things. Inside the trailer also has where the bottom double bunk flips up. Do you store your bikes there? I've seen the above the propane racks, but I don't want to add any more tongue weight than I have. Almost leaning more to just storing them inside the TT. Thanks!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180707_201415.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	50582

This is how I transport my bikes. Has worked great for 1000s of miles and only cost me about $65 for four fork mounts and an angle iron. The other advantage is that I keep access to the truck bed for storage of other things. The downside is that you need a hard tonneau cover.

P.S.: I tried carrying the bikes inside the TT once, but quickly gave up because getting four bikes in and out the door for every stop and having them possibly shift during transport would do too much damage to the TT interior in the long run.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #9

Our bikes are back in the barn at home along with the kayaks. After years of dragging them around the south and west, I got tired of loading and unloading. DW road a bike around the cg for a while but after a couple years the use plummeted and they mostly just leaned to the back of the TT under a blue tarp. Put ladder racks on the TV and hauled 2 boats to Fla, Miss, and TX and they hit the water maybe 3 times the last 3 years we carried them.

Last year I removed the ladder racks and the bike rack carrier is in the barn somewhere. The first year I stopped packing them I don't think DW even noticed. Guess it goes with age but we have been shedding stuff in recent years. Makes packing and set up a whole lot easier.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
We use the Jack-It 2 Bike Rack. Some find the bikes hard to load especially the one closest to the trailer. Wife and I don't have problems, wife is a bit taller at 5'8" than some wives, so maybe that makes it easier? We've hauled our bikes for 6000 miles plus without issue with this setup.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC429756.html
I am Leary of this design. Three bolts mounted to a very thin plate that some have reported has bent, just raising the trailer with the tung jack. I very much prefer the bikes up front, but that plate is barely thick enough for jacking the front of trailer up. Adding another 50-70 pounds on this 3 point connection seems iffy. With that being said, never heard of damage or a failure.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
I am Leary of this design. Three bolts mounted to a very thin plate that some have reported has bent, just raising the trailer with the tung jack. I very much prefer the bikes up front, but that plate is barely thick enough for jacking the front of trailer up. Adding another 50-70 pounds on this 3 point connection seems iffy. With that being said, never heard of damage or a failure.
I went out and had a look at mine. The mounting plate on the rack is over where the receiver is welded to the A frame, so double thickness. I've towed guessing 8000 mi. with the two, relatively heavy mountain bikes. We traveled over some washboard like roads broken down Interstates and the like.

I looked at the welds and they were all sound. The upright tubes are gusseted, which doesn't show up in the etraiier picture. I looked at the mounting plate from the side and didn't see any bowing, bending or gaps.

Lots of ways to skin the cat.

Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #12

Cool, good to know.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #13

Mine goes in the truck canopy. I don’t like the idea of it in the back of the trailer I can’t see it. I have put one on the bunk and the other on the queen bed.
Jeepyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracto View Post
My hitch guy added a 4" square tube just behind the bumper and then welded the receiver to that and then to the frame. This extra strength is great for the heavy bike rack (north shore racks) and the weight of 4 ~30lb bikes. It also offsets the weight on the tongue of 2x6v batteries and 2x20lb propane tanks.

We also like to have our bike rack so whenever we camp, we have the ability to put the rack onto the tow vehicle and take our bikes to the trailheads.
I did the same, Bought a receiver tube from Princess Auto and my father-in-law welded it to two 2"x3" tubes that we then welded to the frame. It's bullet proof. I carried four adult mountain bikes for 9000 k last summer, including rural roads in Newfoundland. If that's not a test, nothing is.

Cheers

Fin
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #15

Bumper Strength

I have a 2018 Hummingbird and had the same concern. I was told these bumpers are not meant to carry more than 100llbs, so I did some research and found a soultion that worked for us. They are called "Mount-n-Lock SafetyStruts Prevent RV Bumper Failure" They state it will increase the bumper strength to 400llbs. Easy to install and inexpensive. I put several thousand miles on our trailer with no issues. Here is the link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Safety Struts.jpg  
Snoopylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #16

I cut a 2x4 to the width of my truck bed. I mounted 4 fork mounts evenly spaced to the 2x4 with screws. The fork mounts are turned about 20 degrees from parallel to the 2x4 to keep the bikes' handlebars from interfering with each other. I place the 2x4 at the rear of the truck bed so the bikes are facing backwards. The front wheels are placed wherever they will fit in the truck bed. I can strap a 5th bike across the front of the truck bed (near the cab) if necessary. I, then, run a small cable though all of the bike frames and front wheels and lock it to one of the bedside tie-downs.

The 2x4 isn't attached to the truck in any way. The bikes keep it stable. I've towed for more than 10,000 miles with this set up and never had a problem. Just remember to check the screws holding the fork mounts to the 2x4 every couple of days.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #17

I have a very similar one as wonderlust. It is alsp made by swagman. I love this one. It is a snap to mount the bikes. It mounts in my 2" trailer receiver on the back of my 5th wheel. I like that it is not exposed to the road wind and I plan to have a cover over the bikes. I can also see that they are still there in my backup camera.

Sorry I no longer have my Jayco 24RL
Attached Thumbnails
20190614_130707.jpg  
Flyn2High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #18

Protected from the weather and road

We use a rack that is in the bed of my truck and under the Cap. This really only works with a bumper pull.
Attached Thumbnails
20140822_105747.jpg  
shvanhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlb33 View Post
Unless you have exact specs on your trailer bumper, in terms of it's strength and intended purpose, I would not attach anything bike related (exception being a grill or a spare tire) to the bumper. Many of these bumpers are merely a window dressing and not made for a rack of bikes.

I recommend going to a welding shop and having them install a receiver hitch that is attached properly using a cross bar. Then you know exact load capacity. I've done that with multiple trailers and it works great. Then I purchase a Swagman bike rack that is made for an RV (other manufactures may have the same). It's built for the sway that occurs at the back of an RV and won't snap off. I'm sharing from experience where I've had well secured bike racks fall off the back of my rig because of the system being compromised. Be safe and not sorry. Good luck.
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #20

Hello Doc, can you tell me how to attach an image? When I click on attach photo it ask for a URL. I've never done that before. Thanks
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote