Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #21

Best name for a boat is 'Money Pit'. I've done the boat thing. Actually it wasn't a pit, but depending on where you live it's not all that practical.
A former owner told me what he hated the most was that you always feel you need to use it. Living in Oregon, our summers are short. If you don't grab the nice weekends to use it then you very well could get aced out by the not so great weather weekends.
At least with an RV you don't have to be as concerned about the weather. We use out 5er from April til Oct. No way with our boat.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #22

I pay $85 a month to store my 2015 Jay Flight under a well protected covered roof. Electrical 30 amp is include, but I do not use it. My primary concern was the deterioration over time that the sun has on the paint and roof.

We recently decided to upgrade and purchase a new Jayco Pinnacle. My 3 year old Jay Flight still looks new and provided a good return when I sold. I think in part to the preservation the shelter provided.
morrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Best name for a boat is 'Money Pit'. I've done the boat thing. Actually it wasn't a pit, but depending on where you live it's not all that practical.
A former owner told me what he hated the most was that you always feel you need to use it. Living in Oregon, our summers are short. If you don't grab the nice weekends to use it then you very well could get aced out by the not so great weather weekends.
At least with an RV you don't have to be as concerned about the weather. We use out 5er from April til Oct. No way with our boat.
That's where I have an unfair advantage. I live just Northeast of Orlando. Atlantic coast of Florida.....less than an hour drive. Gulf coast of Florida......two hour drive. I can be in the Florida Keys in less than 6 hours. And I have probably a dozen freshwater boat ramp options within a 20 min drive from my house. It's always boating season and camping season (if you have A/C) here.
10canyon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #24

Smile

Well it is finely home in the drive way . first time ever next to the house.
Moved up to Kamloops on July 1st. had it over at friend house during the move
fits nicely take a picture tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
camping 2015 036.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:35 AM   #25

We are lucky to be able to store our 32 here at the house. And before we moved this past Spring, we kept it at my wife's grandmother's house.

We did keep it at a local storage lot the first two months so I could level the ground at grandma's house out. It ran $35 or $40/ month (don't recall which) for open storage, no electric or any type of dump facility (some lots have them).

During the Winter we do store the rig inside a barn at a fairgrounds for $2.25/ft / month. No electric or anything, but it's inside out of the unknown Mid Michigan Winter that will happen that year.

Storage rates will vary greatly depending on where you're located. For us, it was worth the two months rental to level the area out. No longer needed 4- 2x 10's to have a level tt to run the fridge. Or move the tt up and over so one set of tires was in the driveway (almost blocking part of the garage door) with the other set on a board to pre-cool the fridge for a trip. And have a chance her grandma could hit the tt with the car.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoax View Post
One of the requirements when we were looking for houses in 2015 was that I wanted to park our camper at our house. I didn't want to have to have another bill to pay.

So when we bought the house we bought, I poured a 24x20 extension to the driveway that wrapped behind the house and allows us to park the camper tucked right up. The house keeps the sun off the camper for some of the day, and it isn't fully seen from the road.

That looks like an X17a! We used to park ours alongside the house also. Different house, different trailer and different story now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #27

We have used our mothers rv lot and our hoa has an rv lot. Nothing fancy but fenced and locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #28

Cost greatly depends on your location. Here in the Detroit area, average rates for an open lot, uncovered, no electrical spot is about $1/foot. And that is usually a gravel lot.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #29

55 bucks a month, south of town in a secure storage facility.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me cut down the only tree on my property that is preventing me from storing it here at home, in my back yard, also secured.

Man, she really likes that tree though.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Mine is in the driveway also plugged in to a receptacle on my garage.
Another one here in the driveway with electricity available. A little cover is provided a hill and oak trees.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
55 bucks a month, south of town in a secure storage facility.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me cut down the only tree on my property that is preventing me from storing it here at home, in my back yard, also secured.

Man, she really likes that tree though.
$660 a year for storage. You could buy your wife a really nice new tree for $660.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
$660 a year for storage. You could buy your wife a really nice new tree for $660.
Or a dog house for me to sleep in.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:11 AM   #33

You guys are lucky, we live in a gated community and not allow to keep it here so I had to keep it out on base which is cheaper from where it was.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #34
PMC

We have a secure RV storage facility about 15 minutes from home where we keep our trailer. I would keep it at home but the city I live in frowns upon it when it sticks out more than 8 feet from the front of your home. As our garage is attached and not set back from the house and our side yard isn't wide enough to put it along side, we're out of luck.

They ARE kind enough to let us keep it in the driveway for up to 48 hours over 7 days so we can load it for trips

We actually used to just leave it in the driveway but got a letter from the city...
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #35

We bit the bullet and opted for an enclosure to help protect our trailer. Really does a good job especially when the acorns start falling from a nearby oak tree. Sounds like a gun range in the fall.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_1068.jpg  
Max Tow Pkg. 6.7 diesel

jagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #36

I guess we're lucky, we live in a neighborhood and city that has few restrictions. The only real restriction is that the unit can't be any any closer to the street than the front of the house. Fortunately, we have a detached single car garage that is my wood work shop. Along side it is a 2 car carport that we modified. A little more than half of the carport was used for a storage garage for the trailer and camping accessories are stored along one side (long wall). We also wired that side with 20 and 30 amp receptacles. The other side of the carport became a screened in sitting room off the custom patio.....

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #37

In my soon to be complete RV port It has to meet south Florida wind codes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3946.jpg  
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #38

We keep ours in a underground storage facility. 63 degrees year round and humidity controlled. Pic is of our current trailer, but the new fiver will go here when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
20160921_103553.jpg  
Catsgot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsgot9 View Post
We keep ours in a underground storage facility. 63 degrees year round and humidity controlled. Pic is of our current trailer, but the new fiver will go here when it arrives.
Wow! Is that an old mine? That's the most perfect 'bug out' RV storage I think I've ever seen.

I like the one in the post above yours too that's under construction.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #40

There are allot of these kind of places around KC MO. They have underground office spaces, rv storage, munufacturing, etc. The trailer is sitting about 85 feet under ground level. They cut these caves into the river bluffs. Once a year they do a underground marathon in one of the complexes.
Catsgot9 is offline   Reply With Quote