Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
KEJ

Where is my trailer leaking?

My 2015 Jayco seems to be leaking rain around the forward window. I've inspected the window and the roof, and don't see any obvious issues. Is it typical for these to leak around the window frame? Is it possible that the roof is leaking, and it's running forward and down to the window? There's no roof penetrations within 4 feet of the leading edge, the closest is a TV Antenna mount.

This trailer has only been used a few days per season. I am the 2nd owner, and it has been kept under a roof whenever not in use.

Attached photos show the front view of the window, and the roof. The roof membrane doesn't have any major bubbles, but seems a bit detached near the edges, and also has a 'mottled' appearance overall - as if it is slightly detached over the entire surface.

Any advice on tracing the leak, and fixing it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210303_162607128.jpg   IMG_20210303_162748809.jpg  
KEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #2

You may want to check the seal around the clearance lights. Also, take a close look at the top edge of the window for any sealant failure there. Depending on the year of the trailer there may or may not have been sealant applied to the top edge of the window. Either way it may be deteriorating.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #3

Good advice above. The only thing I would add is to take care of it ASAP and if you have electricity in there, put a dehumidifier inside until you get it fixed.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #4

If having a hard time locating a leak this may be your answer.

https://rvleaks.com/testing-locations/
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #5

If it's kept under a roof when not in use, then it's not leaking. Could it be when you're traveling down the road in the rain?

I would take a hose and spray the window with water first and see if it leaks, might be a good place to start. If not it's not the window seal perhaps. Then spray the forward roof, see what happens?

Nothing like having water leaks... what about the clearance lights in the top corners as mentioned, they sealed OK? Pull them off have a look.

And then could it be getting in along the seams around the bend in the roof and the tin siding? try selectively spraying water there.

If no water gets in then you have water witches.

Good luck.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

KEJ,

Also check the rubber gasket that is placed against the outside glass perimeter surface and the window frame. Over time the rubber will shrink/harden and pull away from the corners allowing moisture in. Also checked the same rubber gasket where the two ends meet (pull away from caulk).

I had to replace my front window outer rubber gasket seal on my prior 2005 Eagle, cheap-simple R&R.

What 2015 model Jayco is this? I've never seen a 5-year old Jayco roofing material that shade of brown before (or style of roof edging)......, a camera angle/lighting thing??

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:36 AM   #7

I had this same issue with my 2015 195RB. Most of the previous posts have touched on some aspect of what I found and it turned out to be a combination of a few things. I had issues with the rubber seal on the rock guard that was allowing water to pool on the window frame after towing in the rain or washing it. I also found that some of the horizontal seams where the tin overlaps on the front were loose in places and so water would leak when towing in the rain. Another place I found water entering was along the front edge seam. Upon closer inspection I located a couple of big gaps in the butyl tape where water was easily flowing in and behind the tin and back out under the window on the inside.

Below are some pictures showing some of the trouble spots I found along with how I went about fixing them. Good luck in getting things sealed up!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170521_185514 (2).jpg   IMG_20170429_135537.jpg   IMG_20170429_144057.jpg   IMG_20180909_095451899.jpg   IMG_20180909_095442198.jpg  

TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
KEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
If it's kept under a roof when not in use, then it's not leaking.
Was that humor that went completely over my head? Or, am I missing your point? No, it doesn't leak when it's under a roof, it leaks when I'm camping in it, in the rain. I just added the part about being under a roof because I'm surprised that a trailer this new, with no sun damage etc., would leak.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
KEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
KEJ,
What 2015 model Jayco is this? I've never seen a 5-year old Jayco roofing material that shade of brown before (or style of roof edging)......, a camera angle/lighting thing??
It's a Jay Flight SLX, 195RB. The roofing is white, but in the picture it's parked in a barn with sketchy lighting.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #10
KEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I had this same issue with my 2015 195RB. !
Thanks, this is the exact model I have.
My wife would kill me, though, if I put blue butyl tape on "her" camper!
Maybe I'll start with butyl caulk.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
At least when you use butyl tape after you remove the rubbery sponge tape, you have done a good deed. If your wife kills you for that, there are places where she can spend time.
Do it proper instead of making a mess.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If having a hard time locating a leak this may be your answer.

https://rvleaks.com/testing-locations/
Make your own, all it is is high volume positive pressure.
I made my own and did an Award 23 footer tt. Found all the leaks.

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEJ View Post
Was that humor that went completely over my head? Or, am I missing your point? No, it doesn't leak when it's under a roof, it leaks when I'm camping in it, in the rain. I just added the part about being under a roof because I'm surprised that a trailer this new, with no sun damage etc., would leak.
It was just my weird sense of humor, sorry. I get your point!
Old 03-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks, this is the exact model I have.
My wife would kill me, though, if I put blue butyl tape on "her" camper!
Maybe I'll start with butyl caulk.
The blue tape is not butyl tape, it's painters tape that I was using to keep the caulk lines nice and neat. Once the caulk was in and set up then I removed the blue painters tape. At that point it's hard to tell the joints have been caulked unless you look at them close. Much easier to do it that way than to try and clean up the Dicor later.

I would recommend using Dicor No-Sag Lap Sealant for the overlap joints as well as along the front edge seam. You can easily work it into any open voids that you find in the butyl tape. It is very sticky which is why I use the painters tape to control it whenever possible.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:23 PM   #15
KEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The blue tape is not butyl tape, it's painters tape
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I recognized that when I went back and looked at it more closely a second time.

I've got some 1/8" X 3/4" butyl tape on order (I'll double- or triple- layer it along the sides, where the aluminum is wavy) as well as a tube of ProFlex RV. I'll pull the widow and re-seat it with the butyl, and hit the lights with some ProFlex.

BTW, the trailer is definitely leaking just from sitting still in the rain - not while driving - so I don't think any water is working it's way up into any cracks.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:29 AM   #16

While I’ve not had any leaks (knock on wood) I mimicked ttvasc and used Proflex RV on the front seams and all the corner edging, windows and hatch doors. Although I taped off with the blue tape, I used clear Proflex and you don’t even see it. Works well.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I recognized that when I went back and looked at it more closely a second time.

I've got some 1/8" X 3/4" butyl tape on order (I'll double- or triple- layer it along the sides, where the aluminum is wavy) as well as a tube of ProFlex RV. I'll pull the widow and re-seat it with the butyl, and hit the lights with some ProFlex.

BTW, the trailer is definitely leaking just from sitting still in the rain - not while driving - so I don't think any water is working it's way up into any cracks.
Mine would also leak while sitting. However, it only did that when it wasn't quite level side-to-side. I didn't always bother to level it when stored and if it happened to have a slight lean to the left the water would run down the bottom edge of one of the overlap joints and right into a void in the butyl tape on the front edge seam - see my previous picture with the toothpick inserted. From there it worked its way through the front wall coming out at the bottom left of the window. Ultimately I determined the window itself was not leaky - it was a combination of the voids in the front edge seams while sitting and a couple of loose overlap joints when towing in the rain.

Good luck on the repair!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #18

Some great advice here, the tape is a good idea to keep it all looking nice. Thanks, I'm looking at maybe purchasing a used trailer, so it could be worth knowing one day. What a nice useful forum.

My humor is optional. Cheers.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #19

Front leak

I have a 2016 Jayflight 27RLS. I had a leak at the end of the gutter track in the door side. I have a friend that repairs RVs and it took a couple of tries to find it. He caulked and out silicon all around the front. I got on the roof and was spraying water in the rain gutter when he determined that was where the leak was at. He took off part of the rubber seal and saw a screw was missing that holds on the gutter track.

Hopefully you have already found your problem. The above was my problem
Junmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #20

I did not take time to read all the posts, so my apologies if I'm repeating someone else.

I had the same leak for years, and the dealers could not fix it. I years of frustration, I theorized it was leaking in around the external screws used to attach the window. I caulked all the screws, and no more leak.
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote