Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #1

Where is the fresh water tank drain

2017 Jaydlight 175 rd

My fresh water tank needs drained, can't find a valve to dtain it, here's a picture of the tank, I don't see any other outlets for it.
Attached Thumbnails
20220621_145429.jpg  
patrickgrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Take a look underneath the trailer outside, directly under where the tank sits. There should be a drain valve. It may be labeled as "Low Point Drain" on the siding.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Take a look underneath the trailer outside, directly under where the tank sits. There should be a drain valve. It may be labeled as "Low Point Drain" on the siding.
There is a valve outside, but i figure its an overflow, I did open it, nothing comes out. I read the manual, it talks of a valve inside by the tank...
Old 06-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #4

Surprised nobody else has dealt with this, draining stinky water should be easy, definitely not self explainitory from the manual
Old 06-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #5

It seems like maybe I use those red and blue low point valves, think I'll try that when I get home from work.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #6

Ours is outside underneath the tank.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgrue View Post
It seems like maybe I use those red and blue low point valves, think I'll try that when I get home from work.
Those are your plumbing line drains and won't drain the tank.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #8

It should be on the side under the trailer. Most are white 1/4 turn valves mounted to the trailer frame. With a clear hose connected to it.
dalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:18 PM   #9
Site Team

My fresh water drain has a low point sign on the side of the rig just above the valve.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #10

To clear up any already confusion, the manual is generic and useless with this problem.

the red/blue low point drains are drains for the plumbing system, not the tank, as pointed out by @OnTheGo.

The fresh tank drain "should" be in 1 of 2 places.

1) the drain MAY be a hose hanging down under the trailer with a valve on the end that opens to drain the tank. There will be nothing else installed underneath with a hose and valve like this, so - thats the tank drain. Open/close this valve rapidly a few time and see if anything comes out.

2) the drain MAY be mounted on the side of the RV, with a label specifying it as such. Open/close this valve rapidly a few time and see if anything comes out.

If you do in fact have water in the fresh tank and its not draining, then the drain may be plugged. I would open whatever drain valve you have, and either shoot some low pressure air into it from a compressor or just blow through it with you mouth.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post

If you do in fact have water in the fresh tank and its not draining, then the drain may be plugged. I would open whatever drain valve you have, and either shoot some low pressure air into it from a compressor or just blow through it with you mouth.
Yes, thanks for the reply, the valve I thought was an overflow was the drain valve, it was non-functional, cheap plastic.

I took a screw driver to the clamp, and pulled it off the valve and water gushed out. I might just use the valve as a plug, as often as the system will need draining, the way I did it seems fine.

So I had a victory today! Getting ready for our next big trip!
Old 07-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #12

Examine the valve closely. It may have flashing covering the hole, which can easily be removed. That valve SHOULD work.

A worse problem is the stinky water in the first place. Our fresh water tank is filled Memorial Day and drained Labor Day, and filled in between as necessary. Always city water. I add a shot glass of bleach per 10 gallon fillup and the water always stays fresh.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #13

The stock fresh water tank quarter-turn drain valve was small, awkward, and hard to reach and use. With a little construction, I was able to replace it with a easy-to-locate, easy-to-use big plastic quarter turn valve. Well worth the effort and the tank drains more freely and quickly than with the original little plastic petcock valve.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote