Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Where to drill for rear camera?

I want to mount a wireless observation camera just under the center marker light on my 2018 Jayflight SLX 195BR. Is there a support behind the sheet metal that I can mount the bracket to? In addition to screws I plan on adding a bead of adhesive silicone sealant.

I am going to tap into the 12v DC at the center marker light (I always leave the daytime running lights on when driving).

Thanks in advance for your help.
BlackCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

Contact Jayco for the structural support details on the back wall and they will send them to you. That's what I did when I replaced my skinny almost none existent medicine cabinet. Wanted to make sure when I attached it to the back wall I hit the proper metal supports. You can also ask for electrical drawing(s) to make sure you don't hit any wires and might get a better idea where to pull power from.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

I wouldn’t drill, just remove that light and put the camera in it’s place. You don’t need that light anyway. You’ll find the hole is just the right size for the grommet. Save yourself drilling a hole and you can always put the light back when the camera doesn’t work right. I wish I had done that, but thought of it too late, after I drilled the hole just underneath the light. I wound up switching positions on it anyway, camera on top, light underneath. Still gets lousy reception.
Jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwall62 View Post
You don’t need that light anyway.
I know others have also replaced that center marker light with their rear cameras and I am not here to debate this one way or the other.

However, to say that one doesn't "need" that light is only correct if you are willing to risk getting ticketed for it.

"Technically" you do need that light. DOT regulations specify the number of marker lights that are required on a trailer and so removing it would place you in violation of DOT regulations.

Will an officer bother with such a thing? Can't say but it's there for a reason it is there in the first place. I just wanted to make sure that removing that light may have consequences.

Carry on.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post
Contact Jayco for the structural support details on the back wall and they will send them to you. That's what I did when I replaced my skinny almost none existent medicine cabinet. Wanted to make sure when I attached it to the back wall I hit the proper metal supports. You can also ask for electrical drawing(s) to make sure you don't hit any wires and might get a better idea where to pull power from.
Thanks for the idea. I contacted Jayco for the information.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwall62 View Post
I wouldn’t drill, just remove that light and put the camera in it’s place. You don’t need that light anyway. You’ll find the hole is just the right size for the grommet. Save yourself drilling a hole and you can always put the light back when the camera doesn’t work right. I wish I had done that, but thought of it too late, after I drilled the hole just underneath the light. I wound up switching positions on it anyway, camera on top, light underneath. Still gets lousy reception.
Thanks for the advice.

I tested the wireless digital camera to about 100 feet before I lost reception. The monitor will be about 30-some feet from the camera once installed so I don't think I will have any issues.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I know others have also replaced that center marker light with their rear cameras and I am not here to debate this one way or the other.

However, to say that one doesn't "need" that light is only correct if you are willing to risk getting ticketed for it.

"Technically" you do need that light. DOT regulations specify the number of marker lights that are required on a trailer and so removing it would place you in violation of DOT regulations.

Will an officer bother with such a thing? Can't say but it's there for a reason it is there in the first place. I just wanted to make sure that removing that light may have consequences.

Carry on.
EXACTLY:

https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/sta.../trlrpstr.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post

Carry on.
You are correct sir.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCoyote View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I tested the wireless digital camera to about 100 feet before I lost reception. The monitor will be about 30-some feet from the camera once installed so I don't think I will have any issues.
Mine works out to about 100' until I put the trailer and the truck in between. Check that out too.

What brand did you get? I got a Haloview MC7101.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:08 AM   #10

I just did a rear camera set up and used the centre marker light as you plan on doing. I was able to remove the marker then installing the camera using the existing marker light screws and the marker light was reattached over the bracket for the camera. I notched the bottom of the marker light so I could feed the camera wire underneath the marker light then resealed the mark light back on the trailer. I connected the wiring to the marker light inside the trailer. The camera I use is a garmin that displays the image on my garmin navigation. Let me know if you need some pictures.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
I just did a rear camera set up and used the centre marker light as you plan on doing. I was able to remove the marker then installing the camera using the existing marker light screws and the marker light was reattached over the bracket for the camera. I notched the bottom of the marker light so I could feed the camera wire underneath the marker light then resealed the mark light back on the trailer. I connected the wiring to the marker light inside the trailer. The camera I use is a garmin that displays the image on my garmin navigation. Let me know if you need some pictures.
I'd like to see a pic please
Old 06-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #12

Ok I'll get one posted later today.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:13 AM   #13

use this tape
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...dtwq1jiu_b_p38
Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #14

It was raining today so not the best picture.
Attached Thumbnails
20180629_073659.jpg   20180629_073653.jpg  
Old 06-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
It was raining today so not the best picture.
That looks good thanks for sending.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #16

Rear camera mount

Is there a trick to removing the rear upper middle marker light (round ‘button led’) on a Eagle HT in order to retrieve the prewire for the rear camera? I m concerned about snapping it off.
WPPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #17

I removed my lens and found a couple of screws that hold the light on. The housing was glued to the trailer and I used a putty knife to break the seal. Can you take a picture so we can see what your up against?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #18

Something I ran into using rearview cameras.

Most aftermarket cameras are designed as "backup" cameras with a wide field of view closeup but limited long distance clarity, (more than 30').

Since I was more concerned with visibility behind me when traveling on the road like changing lanes, this was a major issue. I tried a conventional backup camera and ended up switching to a home surveillance type outdoor camera.

My unit is a rear kitchen so the fridge is mounted at the rear so I was able to mount the camera in the lower vent cover for the fridge.

I used coax cable from there to the front of the TT. I mounted a coax barrel connector next to my 7 pin connector on the back of my truck. Converted the coax to RCA then ran 25' RCA jumper cable up to a 7" monitor that mounts over the rear view mirror.

Total cost about $50 ebay/amazon. no connection to vendors just examples

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-Car-...n/201409679898

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXILRAE
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #19

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post573048

Here's a link to the post where I showed how I did it.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #20

Backup Camera Install instructions

Attaching the instructions I got from Jayco just in case anyone needs it...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Octane Backup Camera Installation.pdf (269.0 KB, 20 views)