Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #1

Which rubber roof protectant do you use?

Thinking about using "aerospace 303" but then some say it's like "armorall."
What do you use? I have cleaned the roof and are now ready to apply something. I'll go with the majority. Thanks everyone!

Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

actually if you have alpha ply its not recommended to put any kind of protectant, you wash and thats it , see here : Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Site Team

None is what I use.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Nothing here also. I clean it twice a season with a soft scrub brush and a mix of Oxyclean and water.

We had our last hybrid for 10 years and the roof looked like new.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

I follow the Alpha Ply instructions (that's what mine is) and use a light duty soap and a soft automotive brush twice a year. It surprises me how dirty that roof can get in a few months with light use.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

I think mine is the Dicor EPDM. Everything I've read says scrub with mild soap, non petroleum or citrus base. I've been using dawn dishsoap and a scrub brush, rinse thouroughly. When dry, look for cracks in the caulk
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the answers. I have a rubber not a Alpha roof. Previous owner never washed it and it is 4 years old. I washed it but I think I may use "Protect All" rubber roof cleaner and their rubber roof treatment to bring back the new look and get ride of the chalkiness. What ever I do is going to be to the benefit to this neglected roof.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

I think I'll go with this stuff.
Alpha Systems, Inc.

Alpha Systems, Inc. has been the proven leader in roofing material for more than 30 years as well as the undisputed leader in bringing EPDM reliability to the recreational vehicle market. Their Royal Roof, a Seamless EPDM Rubber Sheet is the standard of roofing quality used by manufacturers throughout the RV industry. Alpha Systems, Inc. highly recommends the use of Protect All Rubber Roof Cleaner and Rubber Roof Treatment on its rubber roofing system.
Alpha says, "As a manufacturer of quality products we can only recommend the use of top quality products on our rubber roof system. Use Protect All Rubber Roof products regularly to minimize your maintenance efforts and to maintain the appearance and integrity of your rubber roof."
Available in 32 ounce bottles and economical gallon jugs.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

I don't use anything. I cleaned the seams with Eternabond cleaner when I bought the trailer and covered the seams with Eternabond tape. No maintenance and no need to inspect the roof throughout the year. The rubber will break down and chalk the exact same whether its clean or dirty.

Personally I prefer to enjoy the RV and not worry about unneccesary maintenance...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

In resume tha OP needs to know exactly what type of membrane he got on his trailer, for one type its recommended, for the other they suggest not putting any protection since that protection can be detrimental.

IMHO too much maintenance is no better than no maintenance sometimes, one got to find the right balance ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy57 View Post
I think I'll go with this stuff.
Alpha Systems, Inc.

Alpha Systems, Inc. has been the proven leader in roofing material for more than 30 years as well as the undisputed leader in bringing EPDM reliability to the recreational vehicle market. Their Royal Roof, a Seamless EPDM Rubber Sheet is the standard of roofing quality used by manufacturers throughout the RV industry. Alpha Systems, Inc. highly recommends the use of Protect All Rubber Roof Cleaner and Rubber Roof Treatment on its rubber roofing system.
Alpha says, "As a manufacturer of quality products we can only recommend the use of top quality products on our rubber roof system. Use Protect All Rubber Roof products regularly to minimize your maintenance efforts and to maintain the appearance and integrity of your rubber roof."
Available in 32 ounce bottles and economical gallon jugs.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote