Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #1

Which rubber roof protectant do you use?

Thinking about using "aerospace 303" but then some say it's like "armorall."
What do you use? I have cleaned the roof and are now ready to apply something. I'll go with the majority. Thanks everyone!
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

actually if you have alpha ply its not recommended to put any kind of protectant, you wash and thats it , see here : Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Site Team

None is what I use.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Nothing here also. I clean it twice a season with a soft scrub brush and a mix of Oxyclean and water.

We had our last hybrid for 10 years and the roof looked like new.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

I follow the Alpha Ply instructions (that's what mine is) and use a light duty soap and a soft automotive brush twice a year. It surprises me how dirty that roof can get in a few months with light use.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

I think mine is the Dicor EPDM. Everything I've read says scrub with mild soap, non petroleum or citrus base. I've been using dawn dishsoap and a scrub brush, rinse thouroughly. When dry, look for cracks in the caulk
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Thanks for the answers. I have a rubber not a Alpha roof. Previous owner never washed it and it is 4 years old. I washed it but I think I may use "Protect All" rubber roof cleaner and their rubber roof treatment to bring back the new look and get ride of the chalkiness. What ever I do is going to be to the benefit to this neglected roof.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

I think I'll go with this stuff.
Alpha Systems, Inc.

Alpha Systems, Inc. has been the proven leader in roofing material for more than 30 years as well as the undisputed leader in bringing EPDM reliability to the recreational vehicle market. Their Royal Roof, a Seamless EPDM Rubber Sheet is the standard of roofing quality used by manufacturers throughout the RV industry. Alpha Systems, Inc. highly recommends the use of Protect All Rubber Roof Cleaner and Rubber Roof Treatment on its rubber roofing system.
Alpha says, "As a manufacturer of quality products we can only recommend the use of top quality products on our rubber roof system. Use Protect All Rubber Roof products regularly to minimize your maintenance efforts and to maintain the appearance and integrity of your rubber roof."
Available in 32 ounce bottles and economical gallon jugs.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

I don't use anything. I cleaned the seams with Eternabond cleaner when I bought the trailer and covered the seams with Eternabond tape. No maintenance and no need to inspect the roof throughout the year. The rubber will break down and chalk the exact same whether its clean or dirty.

Personally I prefer to enjoy the RV and not worry about unneccesary maintenance...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

In resume tha OP needs to know exactly what type of membrane he got on his trailer, for one type its recommended, for the other they suggest not putting any protection since that protection can be detrimental.

IMHO too much maintenance is no better than no maintenance sometimes, one got to find the right balance ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy57 View Post
Alpha Systems, Inc.

Alpha Systems, Inc. has been the proven leader in roofing material for more than 30 years as well as the undisputed leader in bringing EPDM reliability to the recreational vehicle market. Their Royal Roof, a Seamless EPDM Rubber Sheet is the standard of roofing quality used by manufacturers throughout the RV industry. Alpha Systems, Inc. highly recommends the use of Protect All Rubber Roof Cleaner and Rubber Roof Treatment on its rubber roofing system.
Alpha says, "As a manufacturer of quality products we can only recommend the use of top quality products on our rubber roof system. Use Protect All Rubber Roof products regularly to minimize your maintenance efforts and to maintain the appearance and integrity of your rubber roof."

Old 01-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I don't use anything. I cleaned the seams with Eternabond cleaner when I bought the trailer and covered the seams with Eternabond tape. No maintenance and no need to inspect the roof throughout the year. The rubber will break down and chalk the exact same whether its clean or dirty.

Personally I prefer to enjoy the RV and not worry about unneccesary maintenance...

Don't get a false sense of security just because you used Eternabond tape. I use it also on roof openings but still inspect and wash the roof. After my first trip out, I found and repaired a small tear in the membrane from a low hanging branch.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy57 View Post
Alpha Systems, Inc.

This is what I found on Alpha Systems page in regards to their TPO roof membrane (mine is TPO, not EPDM, here's how to find out what yours is: http://youtu.be/f5KraEQifpo)

"Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane."

Reference: http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
Site Team

They don't recommend doing anything but cleaning the EPDM either.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #14

Well just for the record there is no shortage of conflicting info on roof care and roof types. I called jayco and gave them the VIN number on my 2011 165. I called twice and got two different answers. Both ladies said in was a "bi-laminate" one said it was like a TPO without the fleece and another said it was a bi-laminate rubber like EPDM. Based on lots of research and just short of pulling the vent fan to check a stapled area I believe it is a bi-laminate of a rubber base. They could not give me a name of a manufacture just "bi-laminate" rubber. One person recommended UV block because I live in Florida, one was not sure. Based on the hours of research and videos I have watched and phone calls I'm going with an RV cleaner and UV block made by "Protect All".....Thanks again everyone lots of great info, leads and links from all you great people out there. Happy Camping!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #15

None here.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #16

Trojan
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #17

The roof will be well protected with ....Trojan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashighsheriff View Post
Trojan

Old 01-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #18

Nada. I Just clean it once a month during camping season to inspect and keep the black streaks at bay. Please also keep in mind that there are sealants on the roof that some of those protectants could react with which is of far more concern to me since they will be the first area to leak. There are far more seams on this unit than my last, so I watch it carefully. Just my 2 cents.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

My dealer recommended I clean and treat mine with the one piece "Best" product twice a year to maintain warranty requirements. They sold me my first bottle but found it cheaper on Amazon - B.E.S.T. 55048 Rubber Roof Cleaner & Protectant Bottle ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) Easy to use, I use a soft car brush and wash with Dawn first and then rinse heavily and follow directions to finish cleaning and sealing with Best. You can see it leaves a coating on the roof. It is also good for awnings.
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #20

What type of roof do you have, and which warranty your dealer is talking about ? The final word should come from the roof manufacturer and not from the dealer IMHO . But hey like everybody I have an opinion so :-) Its just that I am always prudent with dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charolaisbreeder View Post
My dealer recommended I clean and treat mine with the one piece "Best" product twice a year to maintain warranty requirements. They sold me my first bottle but found it cheaper on Amazon - B.E.S.T. 55048 Rubber Roof Cleaner & Protectant Bottle ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) Easy to use, I use a soft car brush and wash with Dawn first and then rinse heavily and follow directions to finish cleaning and sealing with Best. You can see it leaves a coating on the roof. It is also good for awnings.