Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2021, 01:18 AM   #1

Which RV to choose

Yall I need some help:

First all, a little background, I have been in a camper most of my life, so I’m very comfortable with all the hookups etc.. when I was a kid and I wasn’t in school we were on the creek bank fishing and staying in my parents Allegro, Holiday Rambler, or they had a couple of different fifth wheels that I can’t remember now. Since I have been an adult I have also owned a Class A Country Coach previously, but lost that like everything else in my divorce. This will be me purchasing my first RV by myself for myself.

I have recently got a new job and am travelling all over the mountain/ desert area (Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Washington, Idaho) for work and I do not want to have to sell my home in Alabama, because I am hoping that eventually maybe 3 to 5 years (hopefully sooner) I will be able to transfer back down that way with this job. So I’m thinking that buying a RV kind of makes sense.

I am currently shopping for a travel trailer, I have been researching Grand Design and I really like their 297 RSTS, but also the Jayco White Hawk 32KBS has caught my eye as it checks all my boxes. However my tow vehicle is a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 with 9,300 lbs conventional towing capacity, and both these rv’s dry weight is 1,000-1,200 lbs LESS than my 9,300 lbs towing capacity.

My question is would that be ok as long as I what is conservative on the gear that I bring with me? Also between these two rigs which one would you guys go with brand new?

Don’t worry I’m posting the same question on the Grand Design forum as well, I want the most feedback that I can get.

The main things that are my must haves are a washer dryer connection, and a good all weather package due to the climate where I am at. Some of the creature comforts that I would LIKE, but that I don’t have to have are a king size bed, an island in the kitchen, and the fireplace.
JoJoGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #2

JoJoGlow,

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! Sorry to hear about your loss in your divorce. Been there; done that; got the T-shirt. But congratulations on your new adventure!

I've been full-timing for 7-1/2 years, now, and may be able to offer some insight. Before you make your decision, ask yourself "Where will I be staying, how long will I be staying in each location, and what will be the distance between stops?"

Will you be staying in private or public campgrounds (state parks)?

1) If you'll be staying in private parks with full hook-ups, either one should suit your needs quite well. But, you may want to reconsider your need for a washer/dryer. Most private campgrounds have a laundry room for guests to use. And, since you'll need 4 seasons worth of clothes (for both work and leisure), you'll need the clothes-storage space you can get! If they don't have a laundry room, there's generally a public laundry in a nearby town. That's what I use. I can do a month's worth of laundry in about three hours (including travel time).
If you'll be staying in public campgrounds, then you may want to purchase a trailer with the largest fresh/grey/black storage tanks you can find - so you don't have to drag a sewage tote around, or pull up stakes & take your rig to the dump station every 3-4 days. And the washer/dryer will only deplete your FW tank, and fill your GW tank(s) faster.

2) If you'll be staying at each location for more than a couple of days, you'll want as much countertop space as you can get. You won't want to be digging out your coffee maker, toaster, and can opener every day; then putting them back into storage, so you have enough countertop space to make dinner and do your dishes. And while I'm on that subject, heavy-duty paper plates can save a ton of water, since you don't have to wash them.

3) What will be the travel distance between stays, and what will the weather be like when I have to move? If you'll be moving every day or two, and don't need your truck for work, you may want to consider a motorhome rather than a travel trailer - especially considering you'd be pulling a 35'/10.000 lbs. box behind you in high winds and heavy snow on winding mountain roads. I'm sure you can pick up a nice, small toad for what you'd get in trade for your nearly-new pick-up. As you can see, I pull a 30' TT, (sometimes in Michigan snow storms) so I have some experience doing that.

Just give your plans a little more thought, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for YOU. Best of luck with your decision and your travels, and be sure to let us know about what you choose.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #3

Hey Thanks Brownie,

I apologize that I didn’t detail the rest of all of this, I will be staying in campgrounds with full hook ups and rarely if ever in ones without. I will move my RV 2-3 times/ year to accommodate for seasonal changes in my territory. I will only be in the RV 3-4 nights per week when I am not in a hotel, and I do need my truck to drive around my territory (that’s what I get paid to do)...
Old 01-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #4

What you ought to do is determine the true towing ability of your truck. The figures given by the manufacturer mean almost nothing. They're about as important as paint color when it comes to towing.

What matters is payload. Get the accurate number for your truck...not a similar truck...your truck, for it's actual ability to carry (not pull) weight. Because what matters most is the tongue weight being applied to your truck.

Typically, the payload gets exceeded by a trailer long before the rated towing ability gets exceeded.

For whatever trailer you look at, the maker will give the tongue weight. Which may be reasonably accurate. Or not. Otherwise, take the loaded weight (water, stuff, etc.) and approximately 13% of that will equal your tongue weight. Add another battery on the trailer tongue, that counts as weight.

Suggest you look up more on this concept on this site and elsewhere. If your truck has a capper, that gets subtracted from your payload. Ditto for people, dogs, generator, and anything else you carry in the your truck.

I'm not making this up. Might as well break it to you now, you're most likely looking at less trailer than you've been considering unless your truck has a freaky high payload rating for a 1500.

Good news? You want to be safe, right? Knowing your payload and not exceeding it will make you safe.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #5

Thanks Siamese,

I know you are absolutely right, my payload is 2120 lbs for my specific truck. But I think I have decided to just go with a smaller trailer the GD Imagine 2970RL or the GD 2670MK.

Tags
dry weight, grand design, jayco, trailering capacity, white hawk