Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #11

Another question that I have is what part of the WDH do I include into the tongue weight? The majority of the weight of the hitch is connected to the Expedition itself and not on the camper. If I just weigh the camper with a tongue weight scale, is that the only portion that I figure into the 890lbs tongue weight limit? Since the Expedition explicitly lists the 890lb limit as being for use with a WDH, does that mean they have somehow accounted for it (even though they don't know how much the WDH weighed)?

abertasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #12

I had an Eaz-Lift 1000 lb hitch which worked well. I had to add sway control to it. Then, I decided to improve the hitch setup and changed to the Reese Strait-line 1200 lb. It takes more effort to get it dialed in, but as far as I can tell, it does the job. Hardly any sway.

Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abertasi View Post
Another question that I have is what part of the WDH do I include into the tongue weight? The majority of the weight of the hitch is connected to the Expedition itself and not on the camper. If I just weigh the camper with a tongue weight scale, is that the only portion that I figure into the 890lbs tongue weight limit? Since the Expedition explicitly lists the 890lb limit as being for use with a WDH, does that mean they have somehow accounted for it (even though they don't know how much the WDH weighed)?
I would think that since the hitch weight itself is on the vehicle hitch, it should be included in the tongue weight. Not a professional opinion, mind you, but I would include it.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #14

We weighed the tongue with the Sherline scale. The two propane tanks were full and I have an extra battery installed. That brought the tongue weight up to 700lbs. I still have to install the hitch, but it seems like we'll be ok. We also confirmed that some deliberate weight distribution can change the tongue weight appreciably. With my pregnant wife standing on the rear bumper, the tongue weight decreased by 40 lbs. She's probably not going to want to go down the road like that, but the bikes in the back will help. I still have yet to locate and fill the fresh water tank to see what effect that has.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Site Team

That`s good to know. The 700lbs is coming in lighter then I expected.

-Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #16

Frankly, we were surprised as well. We weighed it a few times and got consistent results. One thing that we did have to do was wiggle the tongue a little (the trailer, not ours) when we weighted it. I guess the cylinder in the scale was binding a little bit because it was not completely level (even though we tried to level it). Since it went to the same weight each time (after a little wiggle), I am hoping it was accurate.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #17

I have the Equalizer 1200/12000 to pull my 29BHS but I do pull doubles (7x10 flatbed with 2 fourwheelers/2 dirtbikes)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by abertasi View Post
With my pregnant wife standing on the rear bumper, the tongue weight decreased by 40 lbs. She's probably not going to want to go down the road like that, but the bikes in the back will help.
So you stood your preggie bride on the back bumper?!? Please, send me your wife training manual. Also, NEVER believe your salesman. You could have pulled up on a Cushman and he'd have no-sweated you. Really. The back bumper.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote