Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

white hawk 20mrb wd hitches help

Hello all, new member here.

I (and the wife) have ordered our first camper, a white hawk 20mrb. I have been searching for a wd hitch to match the camper. I will install this on the camper when I pick it up. (I prefer diy and drill free, tv = 14 silverado - 9600 tow rating) I am looking for real world tongue weights of current 20mrb owners, or real world experiences with hitches. I have been considering the typical wd sway hitches equalizer, blue ox, husky etc. but it seems the tongue weights don't fit in the range of an unloaded vs loaded hitch 600-900?. I would hate to buy too high of a spring rating (eg. 1000b vs 750) and have a rough ride, or buy too low (ed 750) and have the sway control be nullified if I go over tongue weight. Any opinions appreciated

Thanks!
ffej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Hello all, new member here.

I (and the wife) have ordered our first camper, a white hawk 20mrb. I have been searching for a wd hitch to match the camper. I will install this on the camper when I pick it up. (I prefer diy and drill free, tv = 14 silverado - 9600 tow rating) I am looking for real world tongue weights of current 20mrb owners, or real world experiences with hitches. I have been considering the typical wd sway hitches equalizer, blue ox, husky etc. but it seems the tongue weights don't fit in the range of an unloaded vs loaded hitch 600-900?. I would hate to buy too high of a spring rating (eg. 1000b vs 750) and have a rough ride, or buy too low (ed 750) and have the sway control be nullified if I go over tongue weight. Any opinions appreciated

Thanks!
Hello! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new trailer.

Jayco literature says the Gross Weight (loaded and ready for camping) would be 5,950lbs. 15% of that is 892lbs so 1,000lbs tongue weight seems to be quite close. Plus, the dry weight does not include full propane tanks (not sure about the battery) which would further increase the tongue weight.

There are others on this site that have more experience and maybe YOUR trailer, but it seems likely that 1,000lb bars should be good.

With the Equal-i-zer brand hitch (the only WD hitch I've owned) having too light of load bars would should not nullify the anti-sway control. However, the lower spring rate may make it difficult to get the tension you need to transfer enough weight to the front of your TV unless you raise the trailer brackets quite high. That would complicate hitching and unhitching and might over stress the weight bars. JMHO.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

We had your same unit. I used the husky 1000lb with sway setup with my Ford F150 and it worked fine.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #4

We will be towing our, yet to be picked up, 20MRB on Mar. 31st. We will be using the Andersen Hitch. We towed our similar weight KZ Jag from Washington state to Michigan and back last summer. Not any problems and the loads were close to the GCWR. We towed with a 2008 Exploper Sport Trac.

I do not work for Andersen. The hitch is virtually silent and no sway even with passing semi trucks on the flat lands of the Midwest!

Andersen Hitch video:

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

Thanks Murff, I am going to purchase the andersen for our camper. Did you measure the coupler height? I have seen the hitch height as 26 1/4, however this seems like the ball height. Thanks for any info.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #6

ffej-

I think the ball height stated is close. As my Sport Trac is a lot lower than most full sized pickups. I was concerned my 8 inch drop/rise might still be a bit short. With the trailer ball assembly in the top holes of the rise, the trailer was pretty level with four threads showing.

Since you stated you are buying the Andersen, be sure to use the owners manual included with the kit and not the one online. The manual online is a little older and some things have been updated.

Since my post above, we have taken delivery of the trailer and towed it home. It was a75 mile trip with some rain and heavy head winds. Towed nicely and should do better once there is some weight in the trailer.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

Thanks again Murff, did you have to remove any chains sections or move the battery/propane bottles to fit the brackets properly?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #8

Nope! Measurement was nearly perfect!

Murff

Old 04-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #9

awesome thanks!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #10

Fastway E2 Hitch

I would go with the Fastway E2 Hitch supporting 6k or 8K. If you plan to load up your unit to the max, then go with the 8K for breathing room. If not, then the 6K will support you 95% of the time. You can get this on Amazon.

Another product is the Equalizer hitch and Shank- 6,000 lbs [ 90-00-0600 ]. This is the older square model, and conceptually works the same as the E2. You can get this at Camper World.

There are others form Centerline, Reese, and Husky, which conceptually all do the same thing.

Links to both products are below:
e2™ Hitch » Fastway Trailer Products
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

No disrespect to others, but I would personally stay away from the older style chain or square bar type. Round is stronger, and with the chain you need an extra sway stabilizer shock.

Installation on the new style is very simple and you don't need to remove any part.

We have the E2, and love it. It distributes the weight like a charm, and prevents sway.

Good luck!
Hybridcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Forgot to mention that I talked to the Andersen sales rep regarding the Lippert tongue on the Jayco and he said that their hitch works super with the Lippert.

Here are two pics that show the location of brackets on my 20 MRB, ffej:

TI

Old 08-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #12

Just out of curiosity, how do you like the Anderson? Did it really eliminate bounce?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #13

The Andersen works excellent. Used it for a year on a KZ Jag of the same weight and length as the 20 MRB. Easy to install, even easier to hitch and unhitch. Anderson says it is good for up to a 14,000 pound trailer.

There is a lot less bounce and less sway than the previous Husky round bar/friction sway control.

Have you seen their videos?

https://youtu.be/HRoQ_yQZQwQ

https://youtu.be/-FhIEc62mKA

Murff

Old 08-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #14

Yep. I have the same Husky round bar system. Was supposed to get the Equal-I-zer. Basically got screwed. We have the 23MRB.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
The Andersen works excellent. Used it for a year on a KZ Jag of the same weight and length as the 20 MRB. Easy to install, even easier to hitch and unhitch. Anderson says it is good for up to a 14,000 pound trailer.

There is a lot less bounce and less sway than the previous Husky round bar/friction sway control.

Have you seen their videos?

https://youtu.be/HRoQ_yQZQwQ

https://youtu.be/-FhIEc62mKA

Murff
Hi Murff,

I know it's been over a year since you made this post but I wanted to ask how the Andersen worked out with your White Hawk. Has it been as pleasant an experience as it was towing the KZ? I ask because I'm taking delivery of a White Hawk 28DSBH in June and I think the hitch height, tongue configuration, etc. are identical to yours. I'll be towing with a Max Tow F150 5.4L Triton. Thanks for any tips or insights you may have. Mike
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote